What is in the prep of this? A microwave and a toaster. This is an easy on the go sandwhich 4 minutes tops.

I am sure the OP can decipher labels on packages. If it is "wheat" and the first ingredient is enriched flour it's most likely white bread desguised as brown because of molasses added to make it look wheat.

Weight Watchers has some great recipes on their site. Not long and drawn out, some are quick and easy ready within minutes.

What is in the prep of this? A microwave and a toaster. This is an easy on the go sandwhich 4 minutes tops.

I am sure the OP can decipher labels on packages. If it is "wheat" and the first ingredient is enriched flour it's most likely white bread desguised as brown because of molasses added to make it look wheat.

Weight Watchers has some great recipes on their site. Not long and drawn out, some are quick and easy ready within minutes.

I agree and think that it is important to check the amount of fiber. All I am saying is, if you are not used to preparing food - especially in the morning, it can take a lot longer and add to the stress of changing one's lifestyle. In contrast, grabbing an apple, some plain yogurt or cereal with skim milk and maybe some whole grain toast, takes less time and focus. Also you want to try your best not to make drastic changes. For example, I never liked breakfast sandwhiches or any kind of meat in the morning or meat-like patty - so to not only transition to fewer calories/less fat but also to drastically change the types of food I like in the morning might be too much in the beginning.

It's hard to eat healthy because most foods have so much processed stuff in it already.

It's actually not so much a what thing as it is a how much thing. A cheeseburger in itself is not going to kill you, but if you eat them on a regular basis, then that isn't healthy.

The hardest thing to do as an American is to cut down on the portion sizes.

I have no idea what normal people do Ren, can't help you there....

But GOOD FOR YOU on the exercise!!!! I am soooo proud of you...

You know, hon, I have found that the removal of the large intestine and associated organs is a great way to lose weight...lol I have lost 61lbs this year. Not a process I would highly recommend, but yet it works nonetheless...

Most people don't exercise five days a week. However, it's not bad for you to do so, provided you don't opversure it. If you are sore, taking a day to rest is a good idea.

As you get more set in exercising, introduce some variety to your routine. Then you can use the variety to rest parts of your body.

Mostly, just keep it up. Good work.

It's also important that you incorporate weights at some point. This will increase your metabolism and tone what pounds of fat you do loose. You may see an increase in your weight but that is a good thing. Muscle weighs more than fat. I never go by weight I go by inches and how my clothes fit.

Another thing that is important is the foods you eat. If you eat to little your body will go into emergency mode and slow your metabolism waaaaaay down.

i work out 4 days a week. but each time i work out, it's half hour of cardio, maybe 5 minutes of push ups and sit ups and another 5 minutes of weighs with squats thrown in. then there stretching after. it's a pretty good hour or so of working out that focuses on all things. it's a total body workout. mind you, i normally don't do 4 day in a row since my body need to recover with a day in between, especially since i do weights. gotta let your body rest a bit.

i was thinking of taking up biking at some point to do on the weekend.

I went and worked out again but I could only do fifteen minutes. I was tired out and I got another cramp in my leg. I may be overdoing something a bit. I want to lift weights or pull on the bar thing with my arms (dont know what it's called), but it is a bit tall for me.

Incorporating exercise into my day isnt hard. The hard part is changing my diet so I can eat better and healthier. That's hard. I snack too much and eating healthy food is not always that tasty.

The best best diet that doesnt seem like a diet is Weight Watchers. Its cheap, you can go to the meetings or do it online, and you can eat real foods. Its all on a points system which a caveman can figure out. (Oops wrong commercial ;-)

I think that if you get a leg cramp it means either you are not getting enough water or you need some potassium. A good source for potassium are bananas or kiwis. Also streching before and after really helps the muscles.

Plus you can get the frozen dinners and pop them in the micro for a quick dinner. They aren't that bad. If you have to have to go to fast food. McDonalds grilled chicken sandwhich with no mayo is a good choice. I would eat that on the way to school.

Water is very important especially if you are working out.

Today I exercised for another half hour on the treadmill. I took somebody's advice here and did some stretches before and after the workout and it helped me with leg cramps. I had a large coffee this morning and a small cookie (bad, I know). I then went and picked up some fruit and cheese (a slab of pepper jack) so I could slice it up later and eat it.

I am determined to get healthy for once and lose some weight. Once you start doing it, it aint that hard.

. I had a large coffee this morning and a small cookie (bad, I know). I then went and picked up some fruit and cheese (a slab of pepper jack) so I could slice it up later and eat it.

I wouldnt beat your self up over it too much, after all as you said earlier, you are making gradual changes. Changing your lifestyle like that is not easy, and I think you have gotten a great start. So you had a small cookie, it was 1 cookie, not multiple cookies (as I have been known to do of a morning myself ), and then went and bought some fruit and cheese, both good things. I am so happy for you and I am going to keep my fingers crossed that this is an easy transition for you.

Take care,

LeAnn

good for you for starting exercising.

i don't know about the fast food lunches, though. not only can substituting the fast food with more healthful foods make you lose weight more efficiently, but it's also healthier for your body.

if you're exercising every day, i suggest you eat foods that will supply you with energy (whole grains, fruits, veggies).

• 4 years later...

Congrats on making the decision to change your lifestyle to a healthier one!

You asked whether it is enough to just exercise or whether you need to "drastically" change your diet. I really want to say something here, because I did a nutrition and obesity course a couple of years ago as a part of my teaching degree (it was more related to children and teenagers but I did learn a lot) and so many people fall into the diet trap. Statistics have shown that diets and drastic changes to eating habits DO NOT HELP WEIGHT LOSS. They MAY cause weight loss, but generally if they do, the weight will go back on at a later point in life. Instead of going in a diet, you need to change your lifestyle permanently by working out and eating healthily (not restricting your food or 'dieting.) So, I think it is a great thing that you are NOT dieting but instead you are making changes to your lifestyle. Exercise is the number one thing that helps in losing weight and getting fit so that is fantastic - just work out as much as you have time for, and make it enjoyable. As for food, eat healthily but eat realistically. Don't restrict yourself or 'diet' because it will hurt in the long run. Good luck!

Diet is huge for weight loss. I'd suggest making small changes to all of your meals to start out with and slowly increase the changes. For example:

Breakfast: coffee (skim milk and less sugar only) + a piece of wheat toast with some peanut butter and banana slices on top (look for any option you would enjoy and has more than only carbs that is 400 calories and under) Come up with some options.

Lunch: eat a healthy Subway sandwhich (lean meat like turkey, any veggies, vinegar dressings) or pack a lunch to bring with you

Dinner: look into healthier meals. For example you can look up any of the meals from link removed. They have a large database of recipes with calories. Some things I like .. ground turkey and veggie/bean based spicy chili with a potato, skinless boneless chicken breast with steamed veggies, healthy curry chicken and vegetables on any grain of your choice. I'll also get a can of chunky meaty soup and spoon that on top of one cup of rice which is easy and filling. Try to find ways to increase your protein and veggies for dinner and cut down on carbs so your diet is balanced and supports your fitness goals. I hope some of these ideas help!

ETA: I don't mean to say you should avoid carbs, but it seems that right now most of what you eat is carbs. Getting a better spread of foods will help keep you healthy and support muscle mass/fitness.

Archived