living with parents at an older age - a turn off?

no offence or anything but thats what you see on tv about comic book nerds... if i was 33 it would be a turn off for me...

Offense taken! I am not a comic book nerd. For the last 8 years I have been helping my grandfather pay his medical bills for his diabetes and cancer, thereforeeee my finances are strapped. But since I still live with my parents I wanted to know if this turned off the ladies. How would you like it if i assumed you were a comic book nerd?!

Really depends on reasoning...sometimes people move back home to take care of parents, go back to school, as a middle ground while they go through a divorce or life change. In some cultures too it is common to live with parents until marriage, or to provide for them during rough times (I know ppl who live with a mother who is going through her own divorce for example, or whose husband just died etc). I see nothing wrong with it in certain circumstances..there are many people now who take care of ailing parents as many people have children at older ages.

If however it was just to live cheap and parents still do everything for you, I would be turned off.

In your case, you are taking care of your grandfather's bills, and I think that is very commendable. Just be sure to maintain your independence still even while living at home (ie pitch in, do your own laundry, maintain a life outside home, be honest about reasons for being there and so on).

well, now that I have a better understanding of what you are doing. You taking on all of that is autually a nice thing, and can be a turn on to some women. -- I am sure that it is hard when you meet people and say you live at home... cause when you first hear that it rasie a red flag (this is just in my eyes) In your cause you would have to say I live at home b/c ........ and maybe the girl on the other end will be more open minded. --

It would put me on guard, but it wouldn't be an automatic no. I'd have to know more about *why* a guy was living with his parents.

If it was like my brother-in-law who decided he really doesn't want the "hassle" of a job/supporting himself/paying bills and would rather spend his time playing online and buying Gundam models....well...thanks, but no thanks.

If it was the situation my husband was in when I met him (just divorced, working his butt off and paying 75% of what he made to his ex for alimony and child support)...that's a different story. Obviously it wasn't a "no," since I married the guy.

And we're done with his alimony obligation in just a few months!!! YAY!!!

Yes, your reasoning is admirable. If that is the case, I believe you're fine. But it's funny when someone mentioned comic book nerd. A good friend of mine is 35 and lives with his mother... in the basement of the house... with over 7500 comic books and counting! He doesn't fit the criteria for a nerd, but since he is not making a 100% effort to get out there, he's stuck in limbo. But you, you're ok.

I was going to say the same thing, if you're caring for sick parents, that's reasonable. Or helping with grandpa's bills. I could look past that. But if your mom still does your laundry, or if you have to explain where you go like a child... I don't know. If they still treat you like a kid, that's not cool.

Considering your circumstances, it really wouldn't be a turn-off but still a concern. On the one hand, it really says something very positive about you (about the bills for your granddad-- for me that would outweigh the consequence of it).

On the other hand, having lived on my own since I was 18 years old myself, I'd be afraid of too many differences in lifestyle.

Ilse.

It's a turn off pretty much anytime past highschool, unless the guy is in college and can't afford both housing and tuition. As far as paying the bills for your Grandad that's honorable but still you should be making your own way and then helping him as you can not instead of taking care of your own economic needs.