My stubborn boss

10 hours ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

How long have you been working with her? Were you paid so far for any hours of your work?

I agree with everyone. One week is enough under such conditions. Keep it cordial and professional in case you need a referral.

She paid me for every hour I have worked. But I always had to ask to be paid and she would clam up and get really awkward like she didn't want to pay you. It became uncomfortable. She always did pay me. Last week I had to ask three times to be paid. That did rub me the wrong way. 

I didn't get the opportunity to talk to her today. We had clients in the entire time, then she took off to the bank and I didn't see her.  

During my shift today, I pretty much erased myself from her website, transferred all social media to her, and set myself up to dissappear.  

I then wrote her a very professional formal resignation email and sent it to her. Letting her know next week will be my last shift with her, and I have to move on to other things beyond that. 

I have not heard from her at all. I'm assuming she's freaking out. That's her personality. I assume I'll be getting a call tomorrow.  

34 minutes ago, Alex39 said:

I then wrote her a very professional formal resignation email and sent it to her.   I have not heard from her at all. I'm assuming she's freaking out.   

That's a professional way to handle it. She's not freaking out. Your departure is probably mutually beneficial. She can hire someone else in no time. Resignation letters don't require an immediate reply. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alex39 said:

She paid me for every hour I have worked. But I always had to ask to be paid and she would clam up and get really awkward like she didn't want to pay you. It became uncomfortable. She always did pay me. Last week I had to ask three times to be paid. That did rub me the wrong way. 

Well, hey you're leaving. You got this. Better things are coming your way.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:10 AM, Alex39 said:

I never signed anything. No contract, no tax forms, nothing. I showed up and starting working and hoped she paid me. 

Uhh ...what?! So is she running an illegal business then?! Here we were... talking to you about making sure you transfer all the social media accounts back to her and don't use it on your own personal email account.... and turns out, she probably wouldn't even have a leg to stand on because she never made you sign any paperwork.

SMH talk about hot mess.

Any way, good thing you're leaving and I am sure she will be just fine. 

On 4/10/2024 at 6:40 PM, LootieTootie said:

Uhh ...what?! So is she running an illegal business then?! Here we were... talking to you about making sure you transfer all the social media accounts back to her and don't use it on your own personal email account.... and turns out, she probably wouldn't even have a leg to stand on because she never made you sign any paperwork.

SMH talk about hot mess.

Any way, good thing you're leaving and I am sure she will be just fine. 

Yes, the business is a hot mess. 

An update. I made her a personal Facebook, transferred the business to her. Erased myself from her business. Within a day, she's messaging me that Facebook find her account to be suspicious. They've now suspended her Facebook and removed the business page I built from their site. I have no control over this and can't fix it. I think Facebook is still seeing fault after she was hacked last year. 

I have one more shift working with her, and then I'm out. 3 more hours. I'll do whatever she needs in those three hours, but then I'm not her employee anymore. 

I was officially offered the other job. I accepted. The owner asked for my information. I gave it. She said she's sending me an official contract, guide book, training manual, and pay roll information within the week. I can't wait to start 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Alex39 said:

. They've now suspended her Facebook and removed the business page I built from their site. I have no control over this and can't fix it. I think Facebook is still seeing fault after she was hacked last year.

Bow out gracefully. It's good you severed accounts. That was a crazy idea anyway mixing her business with your personal social media. Let her figure it out. Enjoy the new job . It's great they seem to have more clearcut guidelines on what your actual job and role is because you seem to need a lot of structure and guidance. 

1 hour ago, Alex39 said:

have one more shift working with her, and then I'm out. 3 more hours. I'll do whatever she needs in those three hours, but then I'm not her employee anymore. 

I was officially offered the other job. I accepted. The owner asked for my information. I gave it. She said she's sending me an official contract, guide book, training manual, and pay roll information within the week. I can't wait to start 

Yay, Alex! Enjoy your liberation from the bad payer, and I hope you have a wonderful time in the new place. So glad you went pro-active and sought this change. Congrats.

I worked, got paid, and walked out with a huge smile on my face. The job was just too much responsibility, not enough pay. Even my last shift, she was asking me what to do with her business. I was telling a friend of mine after the safety concerns, the inconsistent communication, the disordered procedures, the no payment system or plan, and when I tried to create procedures, all the employees would follow it, except her, the owner, and she'd mess it all up for everyone.  I always felt like I was sweeping up after her, and trying to run the business adequately. I was always managing safety- like her leaving draperies and supplies constantly up against the heating system and would get burning hot. Her serving customers open food and drinks that wasn't sanitary or certified by the health department. Her mismanaging money and employees. She was very disorganized and the main cause for all of it was always her. She was too carefree and free flowing. She didn't have a worry that anything bad would happen. And she constantly complained about working too much, and wanting to work less, but she only worked less than 20 hours a week. Before I left, she said how she wants multiple days off in a row every week. That just isn't a dedicated small business owner in my opinion. And her constantly asking me what she should do. That's why I felt like the boss. I was looking for leadership as her employee.  Her whole place is about health and wellness. She didn't care about fire safety, serving food that could cause allergic reactions or illness, putting out old dirty supplies, etc. 

I left with a positive attitude towards her and even gave her a few of my marketing templates. I left professionally.  

My gut is always right and I feel right leaving this job. 

I mentioned I was uncomfortable with her leaving me alone very quickly with that new male employee she hired. Well that was my gut- screaming at me. 

She let me know during my last shift that she fired him. I was shocked. I asked why.  She said one of her customers found his name online. Along with his arrest record and mug shot. He was arrested and charged for sexually assaulting a teenage girl a few years ago. He's a sex offender. My gut felt something wasn't right, and it wasn't.