Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Family and Life Updates

boltnrun

Thanks, ladies.  I still feel pretty awful.  I took a Covid test and it was negative but I'm wondering why this thing is lingering.  If it's not Covid it's something else just as strong and persistent.

I wore a mask at the store.  I surely wouldn't want to infect someone if what I have is contagious.  Kept my distance and even used self-checkout.

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

Maybe test again? Likely not covid but sometimes first test is negative.  Fingers crossed!

It's been about seven days since I started feeling sick so it's unlikely to still be positive even if it was Covid. I'm isolating just in case other than going grocery shopping this morning (masked) and buying gas this morning (didn't get close to anyone). Just in case. But I wouldn't still be contagious anyway, but I try to be considerate of others.

I did read that a Vitamin D deficiency causes almost the exact symptoms I've been having. I started taking supplements yesterday and drastically cut my sugar consumption also starting yesterday. So we'll see. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, boltnrun said:

It's been about seven days since I started feeling sick so it's unlikely to still be positive even if it was Covid. I'm isolating just in case other than going grocery shopping this morning (masked) and buying gas this morning (didn't get close to anyone). Just in case. But I wouldn't still be contagious anyway, but I try to be considerate of others.

I did read that a Vitamin D deficiency causes almost the exact symptoms I've been having. I started taking supplements yesterday and drastically cut my sugar consumption also starting yesterday. So we'll see. 

I'd check with the doc about vitamin D -recent study that taking supplements might have other negative effects -maybe heart related -I forgot sorry! Google it.  I used to take a supplement -now it's in my regular vitamin only -I try to get my 20 minutes of sunlight daily or whatever they recommend.

I've shifted to self checkout when I can -less interaction with a cashier who might be grumpy (understandably!) and less cooties on both ends.

You are very thoughtful! 

I was told by my previous doctor to take Vitamin D supplements and given the amount to take. I didn't pay much attention for some reason and basically never took them. I just brushed it off. Which of course turns out to have been a bad decision. I should know better and listen to medical professionals. 

Walking outside doesn't give me sufficient amounts of the vitamin. 

I am starting to feel better.

• Like 1

Most northern North Americans are deficient as we don’t get enough even in the summer . My husband has to take it because his one medication for gastric reflux causes osteoporosis. Plus both him and I get SAD. My mom takes it as well because she has taken a medication for gastric reflux for 40 years and now she has bad osteoporosis. 

2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

I was told by my previous doctor to take Vitamin D supplements and given the amount to take. I didn't pay much attention for some reason and basically never took them. I just brushed it off. Which of course turns out to have been a bad decision. I should know better and listen to medical professionals. 

Walking outside doesn't give me sufficient amounts of the vitamin. 

I am starting to feel better.

Yes of course - I’m glad you have good doctors !  I’m so glad you’re feeling better. 

Missing my sweets but it's just not worth endangering my health. I figure I'll allow one pastry every two weeks, and it won't be a super sugary one either. No Kouign Amman or chocolate croissants. A pan dulce pig sounds about right.

Still not feeling 100%. Probably closer to 50%. But that's better than the 20% I was feeling Saturday.

• Like 1

Doctor wants the blood tests done again. Not only is my blood glucose level concerning but there are also potential indicators of heart disease. She seems to think the results were errors, but there sure were an awful lot of errors if that were the case 🙄

So now I need to take more time off work. Not a good look. I'm the only one in my role and I support three locations. So there's no one to cover when I'm out. And it's annual review time too. But I have to do this. 

• Sad 1

Oh, and I told my brother what the doctor said and he cracked a joke. He admits to having a pathological fear and aversion to anything having to do with doctors, medical conditions, tests, even routine doctor visits. He refuses to get a yearly or even bi-yearly physical because, he says, going to the doctor injures you or gets you sick. Whenever he's told a friend or family member is seriously ill he brushes it off. Then if the worst happens he says "I thought she would get better!" even when everyone was telling him there wasn't much hope of survival. I presume this comes from our mother being chronically ill her entire life and then losing her early. I keep making the mistake of confiding in him and I need to stop. 

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

Yes it's hard not to keep contacting a family member who has those barbs.  I'm glad you're taking care of yourself!

Oh, he doesn't throw barbs. He just makes jokes or changes the subject. He doesn't make a joke at my expense but rather just makes a comment he thinks is funny. It's his way of pretending medical issues don't exist because the subject makes him exceedingly uncomfortable. 

I just walked a mile each way to the bank and I feel like I ran a marathon. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Oh, he doesn't throw barbs. He just makes jokes or changes the subject. He doesn't make a joke at my expense but rather just makes a comment he thinks is funny. It's his way of pretending medical issues don't exist because the subject makes him exceedingly uncomfortable. 

I just walked a mile each way to the bank and I feel like I ran a marathon. 

I understand! I think it will take you a bit to get your stamina back but I'm glad you got out!

I'm just not feeling well. It's my in office workday today.  Nose is running, body aches, fatigued, etc. again. I don't believe anything is contagious, I think it's my body just not doing well. I'm going in and will try to force through the day. I am going to talk to my manager and let him know what's going on. No details, just will tell him there are some potential health issues I will have to address. I do believe I can improve things with diet, medication, supplements and exercise. 

Going to look into some sort of fitness classes. Walking just hurts my body too much although it's terrific for my mental health!

Turns out the lab I scheduled my blood draw at only accepts patients who live in the retirement community. It does not state this on their website. Fortunately I am one of those who reads reviews. So I had to reschedule but first available appointment isn't until the 17th. Ugh. But that gives me time to plan with my manager at work. I'm just going to take the whole morning off. 

I feel wretched,  BTW. Sitting here in the office trying to stay somewhat alert. 

Manager said I can work remotely until my health issues get figured out. I told him I would see how I feel and if I feel better I'll come into the office.

Years ago I had a recipe for sugar free oatmeal cookies. They had applesauce and cinnamon and nutmeg and were absolutely scrumpdelicious. I'm going to buy the ingredients this weekend and make some. 

• Like 1

First available appointment for a blood draw isn't until a week from this Friday. I feel like my numbers should be better by then. I reduced my sugar intake by about 75% and started taking Vitamin D supplements. I don't know if two weeks of that will have a big impact but I expect the report to be better than last time. 

Still don't feel great but feel slightly better. I have to wait a full hour to eat after taking my thyroid medication so I always feel a bit weak until I can eat.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Manager said I can work remotely until my health issues get figured out. I told him I would see how I feel and if I feel better I'll come into the office.

Years ago I had a recipe for sugar free oatmeal cookies. They had applesauce and cinnamon and nutmeg and were absolutely scrumpdelicious. I'm going to buy the ingredients this weekend and make some. 

Actually apple sauce isn’t sugar free and nor is oatmeal. They are just better than putting straight white sugar in cookies but they aren’t sugar free. 

Thanks.

I haven't been diagnosed yet so I'm just being more careful until after my second blood tests and talking to my doctor. Definitely little to no refined sugar. And I'm not using prepared oatmeal to make the cookies, just uncooked oats, and there is sugar free applesauce (although the recipe I'm using for the cookies doesn't call for applesauce). 

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

Thanks.

I haven't been diagnosed yet so I'm just being more careful until after my second blood tests and talking to my doctor. Definitely little to no refined sugar. And I'm not using prepared oatmeal to make the cookies, just uncooked oats, and there is sugar free applesauce (although the recipe I'm using for the cookies doesn't call for applesauce). 

Look for the sugar  alcohol content  in things that are “ sugar free” they also affect blood sugar. 
For oatmeal I sometimes eat steel cut oats  as they are the lowest glycemic index but they take about 25 minutes to cook. 

I always think it's funny when doctors and their staff advise me to cut back on fast food. Um, I order a pizza MAYBE about every two months. And I don't eat any fast food with the occasional exception of a Rubio's grilled fish or grilled chicken bowl, and that happens maybe about every three months. No McDonald's, Carl's Jr or Burger King (gross) or KFC or Popeyes. I just don't eat that stuff because I think it's disgusting. I don't do Panda Express either because it's too greasy and fatty. Whenever I ate that garbage in the past I always felt sick afterward. And Burger King food poisoned me years ago, so badly that I had the worst runs ever for a full week. 

I don't have health issues because I eat fatty fried fast food or because I'm overweight. I'm 5'3" and 134 pounds (61 kg) and before I started feeling sick I walked two miles every other day. I definitely ate far too many pastries, cookies, cake and pie and ice cream. So that's bad on me. 

I'm interested to see how my blood tests turn out in about ten days. 

35 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I meant to say it's not eating fast food or sitting around never exercising that's causing my health issues. I have a very bad family history. Many diabetics and many with heart disease. It's not good. 

Same, my dad had 5 heart attacks and 2 open heart surgeries and 11 TIA’s. His mom died of a heart attack and stroke combo caused by surgery. Both his parents were diabetics. He was a severe diabetic. His grandmother died of a heart attack. Plus they all had high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I am on cholesterol medication because I have moderate high cholesterol and I do have high blood pressure so I’m on medication for that as well.. 

And one more thing. This is the doctor who was rolling her eyes and interrupting me when I was trying to tell her how bad I've been feeling and about my health concerns. Now she's having her nurse call me urging me to get to the lab ASAP to get more blood drawn because of all of the things that don't look good on the tests I just had done. I feel vindicated.

Maybe doctors should listen to their patients before writing them off as hypochondriacs or complainers?

• Like 2