Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

I am terrified too because I am the high risk population, so is the entire older generation of my families. I closed my daycare.

You were really smart to do that. People are having to stay at home anyways so they will be able to be at home with their kids. You can't risk getting sick or your family either.

My school (now closed) is now the center of a mass emergency daycare for all of the local healthcare workers who HAVE to work and cannot stay home with kids. I think it's wonderful that the community is stepping up to help.

It's so crazy out there... we are fully stocked for food etc, however had to pick something up on Sunday from the store... the energy and anxiety levels were absolutely through the roof, we got what we wanted and skated out of there as fast as we could. I work for a large global tech firm and all offices across Canada have been closed... they disabled our badges so we couldn't go in even if we wanted to.. but they did prepare us ahead of time that it could happen, and we are very very fortunate that we are well set up to work from home to keep business moving.

That said... all of the 12 step meetings I go to on a regular basis have been temporarily closed, and while I do have access to online technology it's going to be a tough go without that human connection. Just taking it one day at a time and staying closely connected with the rest of my group.

My bf decided he wanted to stay at my place for the next little while... we've been together for a bit over a year and normally we don't stay together every night, usually just a few nights a week... but neither of us wants to stay alone right now... I guess this will be good practice for living together some day.

I don't know if any of you are near where I live but since I am working from home, I am offering to help friends/family with picking up or dropping off things they need so please feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Try to keep in mind that people don't need to be responding like this. There was a similar pandemic back in 2010 with H1N1 and people were far more calmer, even though there were far more deaths with that pandemic.

The difference is, the media wasn't screaming at our faces every 5 minutes and social media barely existed so no one on FB freaking each other out.

The best thing people can do right now, is to destress. TURN IT OFF. No need to be going on FB and upsetting yourself. No need to be checking the news every hour.

If we all stay at home or keep social distancing, while washing our hands and being careful, we can keep things in control. Try to view this time as an opportunity to reconnect with your family and friends and to have time to yourself.

The numbers of cases will eventually start to decline if we all make a vow to self isolate as much as possible. It's only a matter of time.

Please keep in mind too, that there is a huge number of people who have recovered from this illness. In fact most have or will recover.

Tom Hanks and his wife were diagnosed with Coronavirus a week ago and have since been released from the hospital as their symptoms have gone to mild and they are just fine. They are expected to make a full recovery.

China is now starting to open it's doors again and people are tentatively coming back out as the coronavirus cases have declined to the point that the hospitals set up specifically for the coronavirus cases have all shut down due to no more patients. They feel the have things now under control.

It took them less than 2 months.

Canada and the US, Australia and UK have got the jump on that and it will take us even less time as long as we all self isolate, social distance, wash hands and make sure to follow the rules so there is no more spread.

We can do this, people. We can get it all cleared up. Hang in there, give it time. This too shall pass.

We can’t compare what happened over a year or more and compare that to a few months though. In a year let’s see how it compares. H1N1 also attacked mostly young people because they had not been exposed to earlier pandemics in 1968 and in the 50s of related viruses.

This is directly from John Hopkins :The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.

Look at the numbers of the people who have recovered though, Seraphim...it's a huge number.

Yes, they are estimating that this virus could potentially change BUT, at least in an Australian newspaper that I read, it is becoming a lesser and more milder strain than what it was in China.

Is there anyway you can call in sick?

I don't have to go in. I won't be paid but I can stay home and not get into trouble.

I keep trying to work because I'm a supervisor and I keep waking up feeling better but by the end of my 10 hour day I feel kind of lousy.

Yes, many have recovered. Especially in China.

My concern is that many people, particularly older ones, who get this need some time on a breathing machine as they recover. Most younger people will be fine without but some younger people and a lot of older people will need this help. We don't have enough breathing machines. I worry about what the virus is going to do to our already cruddy health system more than what it's going to do to the human body.

Resource management and availability of the proper treatment is key to having fewer deaths. The issue is that our system cannot handle the surge should many more get infected. This is why we are isolating.

Makes sense, Fudgie...which is exactly why we all need to self isolate and get the numbers down so there are no more new cases and the cases that are already in progress, can recover and be done with.

If we all make a vow to self isolate or do as much social distancing as possible, the numbers will come down. It's inevitable.

Exactly. South Korea is doing well in this regard for now, if you look at their numbers. This is where the "flatten the curve" bit comes from. Reduce the daily new infection rate so that the system can better deal with the new cases and those in the hospital can recover and then get out to free up the beds.

It is inevitable that the numbers will come down but everyone needs to adopt a collectivist mindset. I worry about compliance. I also think that until we get a vaccine, COVID may flare up time to time but hopefully we can develop a practice that localities can implement immediately to quell outbreaks.

But in the meantime, have to hold it together. Somehow. I'm hoping for a warm day so I can go for a walk (i am near a huge park). Being isolated sucks. I'm taking extra meds and fighting the urge to drink myself asleep on nights I'm not working.

Exactly. South Korea is doing well in this regard for now, if you look at their numbers. This is where the "flatten the curve" bit comes from. Reduce the daily new infection rate so that the system can better deal with the new cases and those in the hospital can recover and then get out to free up the beds.

It is inevitable that the numbers will come down but everyone needs to adopt a collectivist mindset. I worry about compliance. I also think that until we get a vaccine, COVID may flare up time to time but hopefully we can develop a practice that localities can implement immediately to quell outbreaks.

But in the meantime, have to hold it together. Somehow. I'm hoping for a warm day so I can go for a walk (i am near a huge park). Being isolated sucks. I'm taking extra meds and fighting the urge to drink myself asleep on nights I'm not working.

I walked 9 KM er yesterday ( 17th) and I am still anxious .

I won't repost the article I read that was written from someone writing from Italy as it was far too anxiety provoking. But it was sending out a warning to countries who are not as bad off as them but will be if they don't listen.

The bottom line was...now is the time to stop the spread. Now is the only time. If you're scared of deaths, if you're scared of getting sick, if you're scared of losing loved ones....then STAY HOME.

If everyone were to stay home, and they remained there for at least 30 days, this virus would slowly die off and no new cases.

It's a simple as that.

Don't invite people over, don't have friends or family over for dinner, don't send your kids on play dates or have their friends come over. Don't allow your teenagers to sneak out of the house.

Just don't.

Keep your family home....30 days. No outings, no car drives, no gym, no restaurants, no going for walks, just stay home.

If we all make this choice, the immense threat of the virus will be gone. If we don't listen, chaos will ensue.

I am missing out on mom’s birthday. The only thing I do is walk. Our restaurants are closed nothing is open but pharmacies and grocery stores. I live in a town of 19,000 people right now you don’t even see people when you’re out for a walk. Everything my son does is closed other than that he doesn’t really leave the house.

Essential trade will still go through so US and Canada will keep their trade agreements up with each other to their benefit. Just no non essential travel.

I'm going to miss my family over there but when this blows over I'm going to see them again.

Went for a walk last night. We live in a beach community with a main street that thrives with bars and eateries.

Though its been mandated at bars are to close and restaurants be take out only, we were shocked how many weren't compying. A couple Irish bars with numbers of people celebrating, along with bouncers out front for crowd control.

I guess the hedged their bet that there isn't enough resources to do anything about it.

Kinda disgusted. Especially seeing small eateries on the same street, dark and locked down. Cant help but wonder the impact on those and the people who go without an income for the time being, let alone wondering about their job security.

Next door its loud, rowdy and people drinking green beer.

Reinvent,

I too am really unhappy to not see people complying. The number of cases in my community goes up EVERYDAY and we've already had at least one person die from COVID. Restaurants are closed but some bars aren't. My favorite bar closed a while ago. It makes me sick when I am driving by to the store and I see people inside a bar.

Stay. The. Heck. Home. Nobody needs to be out drinking! Go to the liquor store, stock home, then stay home.