emotionally supporting a friend when you are running on empty?

TeeDee

Your friend is an energy vampire. Google those words.

I have a cousin whose life reads like a Greek tragedy. Her insurmountable problems are fraught in endless turmoil. I did everything for her for many years. I gave her a ton of money, gift cards, gifts, handmade gifts (quilts & other sewn items), clothes, shoes for her, her children, food, we emailed daily, visited one another with long road trips and I did "the right thing" morally. I eventually burned out. I was sick 'n tired of being in hero mode. It's not my responsibility to save the day. While I felt sorry for her, it's her life, her problems. I have enough troubles of my own. I had to cut her loose.

For a while, it was hard and I felt awfully guilty for leaving her high and dry. Then eventually I realized how I grew to enjoy a stress-free life, my immediate family, local relatives / in-laws, being with my Golden Retriever and felt relieved! I actually began to enjoy my life normally as opposed to making other people's my problems.

I agree with others regarding enforcing healthy boundaries. You have to draw the line somewhere. You are not your friend's caretaker and therapist.

What you need to do is learn how to say "NO." Initially it was difficult for me to learn to decline for fear of disapproval and lack of acceptance. I eventually grew to practice declining in order to save my own sanity and it does wonders for your soul. Suddenly you'll have FREEDOM.

Certain people feel like a heavy ball 'n chain. You need to cut it off in order to have the right to live your own life joyously.

In the past, I helped everyone (neighbors / friends / relatives / extended relatives / in-laws / acquaintances) with home cooked meal deliveries, money, gifts, my time and labor. I don't do that anymore. I enjoy my quiet, stress-free life which is better. I also finally have more time for me and my immediate family which is incredibly refreshing. Instead of focusing on others, I prefer to cook special gourmet meals for my family, immerse myself into my hobbies, exercise and the like. I didn't have time to focus on what I wanted to do when I was so busy catering to energy vampires.

You don't have to feel sorry for everyone. Live your own life. It's sad about your friend. She needs to be responsible for her own life just like everyone else on this planet. We don't bother nor burden each other. No one should be an imposition.

I still have sympathy and compassion for others. I just know my practical, realistic limits nowadays and hopefully you will, too.

You listened to her for two hours, until your own energy levels ran out. For very good reasons - both for yourself and your husband - you opted not to take on this woman's sorrows as she got increasingly drunk and passed out on your sofa. It was probably good for her not to be encouraged to drink any more alcohol, since it IS a depressant and she was already feeling upset.

No matter how well intentioned you are, we all have limits. You gave her everything you had to give at that point, and you are no more a bad friend than someone who gave away their entire stock of food to someone who nevertheless needed more. You gave her all you'd got, and to point out the blindingly obvious - that was all you'd got. No need to feel lousy when you'd already done your best.

I listened to her be upset for almost 2 hours.

I would have cut this off with a change in subject after 10 minutes. If she resisted, I'd tell her that I can't speak for her, but I won't allow that woman's stupidity to cloud my day, and she can either join me in the present to discuss happier subjects, or not, but that's where I'm going.

Indulgence is not support. It only feeds a monster that turns trivia into tragedy, and I'm clear that none of that is 'good' for anyone involved. I'll support a quick vent, but if the person isn't willing to find the joke, or a solution, or an otherwise benign ending to the matter within a reasonable amount of time, then they are welcome to take it up with someone less dedicated to mental health rather than a mental spin into a deeper hole to climb out of.

So there would be no misgivings on my part about moving friend along. She may not 'like' it, but's that's too-bad-so-sad. We all need to learn how to cope with unfairness, and my definition of support is to model how to do that rather than dive into the mud and wallow with someone.

The woman who rejected the 'drama' had the right idea.

I think this is one of those things better revisited in the light of the following day and subsequent days after. I agree with nutbrownhare on the alcohol (I would have limited it and not encouraged her to drink). She wasn't doing well with the alcohol that night.

I'm sensing deep distrust and dislike for the people around you and some resentment still towards some of the people in your town. Maybe it's a good idea to let all those things go and not hold on to the past so tightly. Both you and her together seem to support each other in a way that is both unhealthy and nurturing of the negative past. Instead of seeing the bad in others, why don't both of you see the good? That lady's ranting seems a bit comical to be honest. Learn to laugh at the dis-invitation or whatever that was. Have your own tea party or barbeque. It's not that sinister. Both of you or you seem to want to keep competing with the rest of the town or the immature antics of one slighted woman. Why are neither of you confident enough to have your own soiree? Turn it into something devilish and fantastic at the same time. You can even call it whatever you want. When you said starts with a "w", all I could think about was "witch" (not the other thing you were referring to) and I can think of a lot of good things related to witches. Don't be afraid to get creative.

I'd take this with a grain of salt, learn to laugh more, celebrate more, strengthen each other more. Fester less, complain less, break each other down less. Grow stronger in your friendship together in a better way.

Archived