I am really at a loss and astounded

From a legal standpoint does that particular manager need to acknowledge receipt or just the company acknowledgement, aka any manager is enough? If you want to cover yourself, then send a certified letter, receipt required and be done.

Where I live, notice is just polite. People can quit by simply not showing up to work anymore. No real notice required.

As for any kind of reference, going forward, the clients you already have will be your reference, not your old job or old manager. So I wouldn't worry about it much. Like I said, you left precisely because it was a mess, so why get upset about what you already knew.

I had different bosses for different depts. The one who acknowledged manages the youth centre. The one who didn’t reply manages casual childcare and childcare programs. The manager of the actual daycare I told her verbally when I was still there she was fine with that.

This is our community centre on base. Right now everything is a shyte show because the executive director loves to change up all the programs constantly throwing people in and out of work. The executive director is above everyone and if managers say things she doesn’t like or want she walks out of meetings and won’t talk to you or fires your butt. And peeons like me she doesn’t care about.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the legality front, read the paperwork you signed when you started working. It will specifically mention the requirements for alerting the organization of your resignation (it may not suffice to do verbal, email, or emailing your manager only depending not he company).

I have always made sure to email and cc: (or alternatively print out hard copies of my resignation) to both my immediate manager and HR. If all else fails, alerting HR is always “official” since they are the ones that deal with the legalities and paperwork of starting/stopping employment. So if you haven’t already, ensure IMMEDIATELY that HR receives your resignation notice and acknowledges it.

If your manager continues to ignore or be non-responsive on something as legal-related as this - that’s their problem. you did YOUR part with them.

good luck with the new business and congratulations. We all wish we could be self-employed and run our own business rather than work for somebody else. Quite an accomplishment so congratulations!

On the legality front, read the paperwork you signed when you started working. It will specifically mention the requirements for alerting the organization of your resignation (it may not suffice to do verbal, email, or emailing your manager only depending not he company).

I have always made sure to email and cc: (or alternatively print out hard copies of my resignation) to both my immediate manager and HR. If all else fails, alerting HR is always “official” since they are the ones that deal with the legalities and paperwork of starting/stopping employment. So if you haven’t already, ensure IMMEDIATELY that HR receives your resignation notice and acknowledges it.

If your manager continues to ignore or be non-responsive on something as legal-related as this - that’s their problem. you did YOUR part with them.

good luck with the new business and congratulations. We all wish we could be self-employed and run our own business rather than work for somebody else. Quite an accomplishment so congratulations!

There is no HR. I couldn’t tell you where the paperwork is it was 5 years ago. I don’t think they even have me paperwork. Either way what are they going to do ? Have me not work there? Yay!

Yup, you got it. I stopped working there in the daytime at mid Oct. I only work at night and she is not there. Usually, for your average job 2 weeks notice is a nice thing to do. They can’t hold us hostage . I run my own daycare now and I am not bringing 4 , 2 year olds and an 11 month old to turn in a letter.

I have seen a few people walk in state they quit and walk out.

Oh ok, now I get it.

I second the poster before me regarding the read receipt. It exist in outlook and gmail. Like that you have a proof that your boss received your resignation, else your boss may say she hasn't received anything, which may cause administrative trouble for you if she decides to play dirty.

If she decides to play dirty I have dirt on them that could close their centre. I have 1000 incidences where they have gone against their license .

If she decides to play dirty I have dirt on them that could close their centre. I have 1000 incidences where they have gone against their license .

If you do that you could hurt yourself.

If I was a parent and knew you willingly let violations go, I would withdraw from your care.

Stop being vindictive. End professionally because you continually talk about how small your community is. Don’t stoop to their level.

If you do that you could hurt yourself.

If I was a parent and knew you willingly let violations go, I would withdraw from your care.

Stop being vindictive. End professionally because you continually talk about how small your community is. Don’t stoop to their level.

I haven’t stooped to anything. I have quit. Period. She will just have to get over it.

I am not doing anything against the law in my daycare.

I haven’t stooped to anything. I have quit. Period. She will just have to get over it.

I am not doing anything against the law in my daycare.

But you literally just said you saw 1000 violations.

In the US, that could be considered child abuse. Seeing and not reporting. I don’t know the violations but if they’re *actually* bad, you’re guilty too.

But you literally just said you saw 1000 violations.

In the US, that could be considered child abuse. Seeing and not reporting. I don’t know the violations but if they’re *actually* bad, you’re guilty too.

What they did was care for infants when their liscence was for above 18 months. That is not child-abuse . These are not child abuse allegations or even remotely close . What they did was help out families in total desperation .

Please refrain from calling me a child abuser because I extremely don’t like it after having been abused as a child . Because that is utter BS .

I would never not report child abuse so don’t even suggest it .

What they did was care for infants when their liscence was for above 18 months. That is not child-abuse . These are not child abuse allegations or even remotely close . What they did was help out families in total desperation .

Please refrain from calling me a child abuser because I extremely don’t like it after having been abused as a child . Because that is utter BS .

I would never not report child abuse so don’t even suggest it .

My goodness. You said you saw 1000 violations. To me, if you saw *violations* at a *child care facility* that sounds extreme. So I’m pointing out how it sounds.

You take things so strongly. All I’m saying: resign. Walk away. Be done. Stop making up all this drama that doesn’t need to be there.

And re read what I posted. I accused you of nothing.

My goodness. You said you saw 1000 violations. To me, if you saw *violations* at a *child care facility* that sounds extreme. So I’m pointing out how it sounds.

You take things so strongly. All I’m saying: resign. Walk away. Be done. Stop making up all this drama that doesn’t need to be there.

And re read what I posted. I accused you of nothing.

Yeah ,I do take abuse allegations seriously. Being people abused the shyte out of me as a kid. Anyone who knows me well here or anywhere would know I don’t tolerate that crap ,ever .

Yeah ,I do take abuse allegations seriously. Being people abused the shyte out of me as a kid. Anyone who knows me well here or anywhere would know I don’t tolerate that crap ,ever .

I meant your reaction to the “not getting a response” was strong. I’m sure you take abuse allegations seriously.

I meant your reaction to the “not getting a response” was strong. I’m sure you take abuse allegations seriously.

It is just that I felt we were friends because we did talk as friends . We talked as really good friends about our lives . Now I find out she’s been BS sing me the whole time and the only time she was being friends with me was when I was busting my butt for her . And now that I’ve left she’s been asking all kinds of people things about my life behind my back and talking about me behind my back as well . Because she’s gone to my business partner and best friend to talk about me .

It is just that I felt we were friends because we did talk as friends . We talked as really good friends about our lives . Now I find out she’s been BS sing me the whole time and the only time she was being friends with me was when I was busting my butt for her . And now that I’ve left she’s been asking all kinds of people things about my life behind my back and talking about me behind my back as well . Because she’s gone to my business partner and best friend to talk about me .

That's old news. You've already dealt with it here in this forum and to the best of your ability in your daily dealings. Congrat's on your resignation. You can now opt to put all of that behind you. You can wait and see how ex boss will respond, and in the meantime, decide What You Want her response to be. Figure out how important that outcome 'must' be to you.

You're doing great, and your own talents are serving well the children in your care. This is all GOOD stuff. Count your blessings, and enjOy this outcome without setting yourself up to feel lousy about someone who has already proven not to be worthy of your investment.

Decide how much you want injury-seeking to become your default style of self management. There are plenty of other options, they're just not as dramatic. Decide whether small stuff and subtle joys can become your default level of awareness and appreciation, and whether such a focus can crowd out any unnecessary negativity.

(((HUG))) and cheers!

Well, I don’t need drama . I should just stop expecting people to be decent apparently it is too much for them. A vast majority of people are not worth investing anything in. I should be a pessimist like my brother then I won’t be shocked.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you already are. This isn't about 'people,' it's about one person who you've already written off, anyway.

You're a smart lady, and I admire your ability to work with children the way that you do. How would you encourage one of the kids in your care to look at having his or her feelings hurt by some other kid who they don't even like--and never even play with anyway?

Credit yourself with an ability to use your inspirational skills on your own self, and adopt the outlook you WANT to have.

In your corner,

Cat

Personally I think you saying you are “too busy” to work then also asking for a reference in the same letter was a bit inconsiderate. You should have just said I’m giving my resignation and left it at that. Telling a boss you’re too busy to work at their place of business isn’t breaking the news gently.

I worked for them 14 hours a day for 5 years . I don’t consider myself inconsiderate. Ever quit a job? That is what I am doing. I don’t think you understand I have my own .home .daycare .in .my .house .and I work from 6:30 in the morning till five in the afternoon . ( which means I get up at 5:30 in the morning and just because kids are gone at five doesn’t mean work stops) Should I continue to work then from 530 till 9 o’clock every night too? I’m not 20 something . I’m over 50 years old . I have been working full time pretty much since I was 16 . I worked 40 hours a week and went to high school full-time . I worked three jobs while I was in university . It’s not like I’m lazy or anything . I’ve had a job since I’ve been 14 so I’ve been working for 38 years already .

That's old news. You've already dealt with it here in this forum and to the best of your ability in your daily dealings. Congrat's on your resignation. You can now opt to put all of that behind you. You can wait and see how ex boss will respond, and in the meantime, decide What You Want her response to be. Figure out how important that outcome 'must' be to you.

You're doing great, and your own talents are serving well the children in your care. This is all GOOD stuff. Count your blessings, and enjOy this outcome without setting yourself up to feel lousy about someone who has already proven not to be worthy of your investment.

Decide how much you want injury-seeking to become your default style of self management. There are plenty of other options, they're just not as dramatic. Decide whether small stuff and subtle joys can become your default level of awareness and appreciation, and whether such a focus can crowd out any unnecessary negativity.

(((HUG))) and cheers!

Essentially it doesn’t matter I guess. I have references from social workers from CAS and I can get references from the hundreds of parents I have done care for in the past 5 years.

I remember when an old assistant of mine who had been with me for 5 years told me he was leaving, and he was completely in shock that I told him how proud I was of him. He thought I'd be pissed. I wasn't at all. How do you know she's mad at you? I've never once responded by email to a resignation letter. Don't see how it's necessary. Has your boss not brought up anything to review before you go?

I remember when an old assistant of mine who had been with me for 5 years told me he was leaving, and he was completely in shock that I told him how proud I was of him. He thought I'd be pissed. I wasn't at all. How do you know she's mad at you? I've never once responded by email to a resignation letter. Don't see how it's necessary. Has your boss not brought up anything to review before you go?

No, not a thing.

I get not feeling appreciated, or even acknowledged, with respect to how hard you worked there.

I've been given the blank stare when I've handed in a letter of resignation, so I get it. I've always done it in person, but in truth, I haven't quit a job since the internet was a thing, lol.

I had one job I worked my a** off for, for several years. When I resigned, I completed 6 future months' worth of planning for the next person.

My then-boss told me that I was abandoning my team, that I was like a soldier leaving her fellow soldiers on a battlefield. So ugly.

A few years later, she had been fired (ha!), and she asked me for a job at my new place.

Darn it, I told her, we don't have any openings, but I'd be happy to pass on her resume. Which I did, along with some words about her to my new boss, who promptly tossed it.

What goes around......

Chin up. She's showing who she is. Not so much as a "Thanks Seraphim, you were very valued here, and I wish you the best". Umph.

I get not feeling appreciated, or even acknowledged, with respect to how hard you worked there.

I've been given the blank stare when I've handed in a letter of resignation, so I get it. I've always done it in person, but in truth, I haven't quit a job since the internet was a thing, lol.

I had one job I worked my a** off for, for several years. When I resigned, I completed 6 future months' worth of planning for the next person.

My then-boss told me that I was abandoning my team, that I was like a soldier leaving her fellow soldiers on a battlefield. So ugly.

A few years later, she had been fired (ha!), and she asked me for a job at my new place.

Darn it, I told her, we don't have any openings, but I'd be happy to pass on her resume. Which I did, along with some words about her to my new boss, who promptly tossed it.

What goes around......

Chin up. She's showing who she is. Not so much as a "Thanks Seraphim, you were very valued here, and I wish you the best". Umph.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what she’s been talking and telling everybody that I abandoned her . That is what she’s telling one of my coworkers who stuck around for her measly 10 hours a week now . I would’ve been now getting 10 hours a week instead of what I had been making . And 10 hours a week doesn’t pay bills . She wanted me to hang around in case she needed me .

I worked for them 14 hours a day for 5 years . I don’t consider myself inconsiderate. Ever quit a job? That is what I am doing. I don’t think you understand I have my own .home .daycare .in .my .house .and I work from 6:30 in the morning till five in the afternoon . ( which means I get up at 5:30 in the morning and just because kids are gone at five doesn’t mean work stops) Should I continue to work then from 530 till 9 o’clock every night too? I’m not 20 something . I’m over 50 years old . I have been working full time pretty much since I was 16 . I worked 40 hours a week and went to high school full-time . I worked three jobs while I was in university . It’s not like I’m lazy or anything . I’ve had a job since I’ve been 14 so I’ve been working for 38 years already .

I have always said i am "Pursuing another opportunity". It is vague, but to the point and no one can take it as emotionally charged.

Archived