Coworker tries to let me do her task , how to handle it?

Her boss asked her to make sure this task be completed by day X, and she sent me email asking where I saved the files from last year, then after I replied, she simply asked me to do the work because she is busy this week, and since I have helped her before, she can now be my backup. ( it was her work, I stepped in to help when she was out for maternity leave.)

If her boss want me to lead this through, why the boss didn't directly shoot me an email? If I was asked to do it, I will. But my coworker seems to try to play as my boss and send me assignment -- she is not!

She mostly works from home, and it usually takes her hours to reply to a message or email -- I doubt she was in front of her computer during work hours. But she is very good at complaining how much work is on her plate, and she even asks me to do some of her work since the year she took her 9 months maternity leave. She has always been rude and mean to me -- she is very difficult to work with as her reputation in the office, takes advantage of me, etc.

I have busier schedule, and try to help as much as I can, but I hate that she keeps trying to push her work to me, and the boss is always on her side ( there was organizational change in my team, so I report to a different person now, but I still work with my old boss and this coworker).

Except quit -- I am planning to quit for long term career, what I can do for now?

I want to reply to her email, saying, I have task A B C and will be busy from Day 1 to Day 10, I won't have time to help.

I wouldn't tell her when you'll be available, only that you are busy with the following work of your own and can't do this project on her behalf. Don't use the word help. She isn't asking for help, she is asking you to do her work. Also, copy whoever you are currently reporting to and old boss and keep them in the loop. Do that on every communication with her. Once people notice what she is doing, she'll get in trouble OR she'll quit pestering you. I'm betting on the latter. Copying your bosses on what you are doing and what someone is asking you to do is ye olde game of cover your rear.

Yes, this. I would reply the same way.
Thank you !

She usually will push back again, and has the boss to help her . I don't know what I have done wrong, but the boss is always helping her, and gives her either better task or shift works out from her , but still keeps her on track to assume higher position.

I wouldn't tell her when you'll be available, only that you are busy with the following work of your own and can't do this project on her behalf. Don't use the word help. She isn't asking for help, she is asking you to do her work. Also, copy whoever you are currently reporting to and old boss and keep them in the loop. Do that on every communication with her. Once people notice what she is doing, she'll get in trouble OR she'll quit pestering you. I'm betting on the latter. Copying your bosses on what you are doing and what someone is asking you to do is ye olde game of cover your rear.
I guess you are right. After my email with the available date, she changed her tone, and says the new time would be okay, and ask if I can help.

But her earlier reason for needing my help was, she doesn't have time until day 6. You are right, the actual date isn't the issue at all.

I guess you are right. After my email with the available date, she changed her tone, and says the new time would be okay, and ask if I can help.

But her earlier reason for needing my help was, she doesn't have time until day 6. You are right, the actual date isn't the issue at all.

Smh....learn how to say no in a simple way. Sorry no can do.

If she is on the same level as you (not a manager, leader, supervisor, boss etc) and has no authority over your work, tell her "I'm sorry, but I can't help you". If it's over email that's all I would say since she may undermine any specifics you state as the reason why you're busy.

Smh....learn how to say no in a simple way. Sorry no can do.
I will. Thank you !!!

Her boss and mine are copied there. But now her boss "kindly" requires me to do that with her under the name of team effort. I don't understand why, it is not so hard, but she just doesn't want to do anything like before.

If she is on the same level as you (not a manager, leader, supervisor, boss etc) and has no authority over your work, tell her "I'm sorry, but I can't help you". If it's over email that's all I would say since she may undermine any specifics you state as the reason why you're busy.
Learned! Thank you!

If the task really becomes one you have to do, add it to your status report and just do it.

Note in the report that you have taken it over from that other person.

And do an extremely bang up good job of it.

Use her weakness as a show of strength.

Take credit for it, not that you are "helping" her at all.

I will. Thank you !!!

Her boss and mine are copied there. But now her boss "kindly" requires me to do that with her under the name of team effort. I don't understand why, it is not so hard, but she just doesn't want to do anything like before.

If your boss says so then I guess you kind of have to help her. In your boss' mind it could be the fact that you were covering for her for those 9 months and that as a company/team/department aspect of it, kind of makes sense. However I am sure your boss are not aware of the full situation thus, request a private meeting (closed door perhaps) inform him/her of the situation and that you kind would like to be detached from helping duties from now on, or at least slowly detach from it over time. Your boss should respect that.

Politely tell her you have other responsibilities at the time asked (if that's true) and always cc' the boss.

Paper trails and cc'ing upper authorities almost always keeps people accountable and they tend to behave better as well.

You seem to let her intimidate you and she can smell it on you. Putting things in writing will cause her to back off.

Especially when she asks for help too much. It would be a bad reflection on her own work performance.

If your boss is constantly requiring you to do the work of two people without a raise a pay then this is unfair.

If your boss always asks you to take over the co workers assignments giving you more of a work load and her less of a work load this is unfair.

If you are being taken advantage of you need to start looking for a new job. People who are being taken advantage of are often the scapegoat whenever anything at all happens and usually the first the to be laid off or fired.

If your boss is showing a preference to someone who works less instead of someone who works harder this is a toxic workplace.

I’d start looking for another job immediately. Perhaps at the next job you will be treated with respect and rewarded for hard work.

If your current job asks why you are leaving after you find a new job. Be honest and to the point without making it personal. Say you need room for advancement and growth and that the atmosphere at the new company seems more conducive to your career goals.

If they don’t ask why you are leaving say nothing.

If your boss is constantly requiring you to do the work of two people without a raise a pay then this is unfair.

If your boss always asks you to take over the co workers assignments giving you more of a work load and her less of a work load this is unfair.

If you are being taken advantage of you need to start looking for a new job. People who are being taken advantage of are often the scapegoat whenever anything at all happens and usually the first the to be laid off or fired.

If your boss is showing a preference to someone who works less instead of someone who works harder this is a toxic workplace.

I’d start looking for another job immediately. Perhaps at the next job you will be treated with respect and rewarded for hard work.

If your current job asks why you are leaving after you find a new job. Be honest and to the point without making it personal. Say you need room for advancement and growth and that the atmosphere at the new company seems more conducive to your career goals.

If they don’t ask why you are leaving say nothing.

I know, it is very unfair , and I really need to leave this toxic environment. Thank you!

You seem to let her intimidate you and she can smell it on you. Putting things in writing will cause her to back off.

Especially when she asks for help too much. It would be a bad reflection on her own work performance.

I did, because I tried to say no, then her boss who was mine at the time would tell me to help her no matter what. The boss always favors her, and asks me to compromise. And that hasn't been a bad reflection on her performance review, like it doesn't exist.

If I don't let her intimidate me, I should just reply no, right ?

Do you have the capacity to help her and or are you setting your own aside to prioritize hers?
I need to set my own aside to do her job.

And she has time to complete it , but she'd rather wait and is trying to get me work on this, and that is not the first time she does that. So I want to stop it.

Thank you !

She usually will push back again, and has the boss to help her . I don't know what I have done wrong, but the boss is always helping her, and gives her either better task or shift works out from her , but still keeps her on track to assume higher position.

You have not done anything wrong. The boss is just playing favorites, which seems to be the norm nowadays. Your work quality will be seen in time, don't lose hope.

Archived