Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

New Car Recommendations?

annie24

In that case, I would recommend something small.

And, at least in my experience, people only honk for extra annoying/bad things. Did you ask your instructor what they thought?

I was making a left turn onto the road and wasn't going quite fast enough. So there were people behind me who were also trying to go left, and it is a busy street, but the flow of traffic was faster than the speed at which I was making the left turn. On my part, I was trying to stay in my lane and not accidentally turn into the bike lane. It was also at this weird 6-way stoplight and I wasn't sure if I had the right of way to turn or not. I guess I did!!!

I liked being up in the SUV and seeing the road from a bit higher up. But I guess you can do more damage to a human with a large car than a small car....

In my city, people honk at anything. Lots of road-ragers here. Also note, I was driving with my instructor and there is a big sign on the top of the car (like a pizza delivery sign) that says "Driving School."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a quiz on a dealership's website (about whether to buy or lease) and got this result:

[TABLE=width: 550]

[TR]

[TD=class: A]To Buy or to Lease?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: A][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: A][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]You're more likely to lease

• Lease arrangements usually involve a 15,000 miles-per-year cap and charge for extra miles. If you drive very little, you may be a candidate for a luxury lease.

• When you negotiate a 24 or 36-month lease, you can be sure you'll always be driving a new vehicle.

• Although you need to maintain and repair your leased vehicle just as you would an owned vehicle, because you typically lease for 2 to 3 years, the car is normally under warranty.

• Many people prefer to drive a vehicle that is priced above their means and leasing provides the solution.

• If you don't mind not owning the car, you are free to enjoy the benefits of leasing like low monthly payments and a low down payment.

• If you own the company, and you use your car for business, check with your tax advisor. You may be able to deduct your auto expenses, including your monthly lease payment. And if the company you work for gives you a monthly car allowance, you may want to lease since you'll be able to drive a nicer car for a lower monthly payment.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I went to 3 car dealerships today and tried out some cars. Ford didn't let me test drive, but they drove me around in the Ford Escape and Edge. One of them has a self-parallel parking feature that I thought was pretty impressive. Nissan let me drive their Nissan Rouge, I did like that an all the safety features. I also tried the Honda CRV-EX and liked that too. I looked at the Honda Fit. I'm not a huge fan of hatchbacks, but the price was nice.

I asked to look at some of the certified pre-owned vehicles, but none had all the safety options I was looking for. They're mostly 2017 models.

If you go to a dealership without a clear gameplay, you will get played IMO. test drive and then pick what you want and be very decisive.

I knew I couldn't buy today anyway, so I wanted to just look around, do the test drive, and find out the pricing on the models I chose. I'll probably visit more dealerships next weekend.

I knew I couldn't buy today anyway, so I wanted to just look around, do the test drive, and find out the pricing on the models I chose. I'll probably visit more dealerships next weekend.

I figured, but what I'm saying is avoid being wishy washy. When you want a car, go in and say exactly what you want. Have a clear vision and don't budge because you'll get manipulated.

I figured, but what I'm saying is avoid being wishy washy. When you want a car, go in and say exactly what you want. Have a clear vision and don't budge because you'll get manipulated.

gotcha. I just emailed my insurance agent for quotes, so that will help me narrow down my options as well, I think.

I'm focusing on the top picks on this website.

I think I'll go to the Mazda dealership as well and check this out.

A friend of mine has the CX-5 and loves it. She loves Mazdas in general and has been driving them for the last 15 years.

My boyfriend loves his Mazda as well.

Mazdas are peppy.

So whatever car you decide on- seat warmers, backup camera, and Bluetooth capability are great features.

Agreed! My cold butt misses my seat warmer. And even though I'm really good at backing my car up just about anywhere, the back up camera is really, really nice. And bluetooth--how did I ever live without it???

Are you having fun yet, Annie? 😀

Especially as a new driver, I highly recommend purchasing some roadside assistance membership . It's often quite inexpensive and is so worth it.

I'd also recommend you take a friend or relative who has plenty of experience with leasing/purchasing with you to the dealerships. Not only can they be the eyes who see things you may not notice, you will be treated more fairly with someone there to help negotiate for you. It's even better if the person is male, and I know it sounds sexist, but there are a lot of reasons to believe dealerships do tend to try and con women more blatantly and often than men.

I personally would avoid Kias like the plague. Toyotas I had good experience with, except when it came to locating and purchasing parts for repairs. Mazdas I really dislike.

I enjoy beefier vehicles though, and would have a monster if fuel wasn't such a concern. I love Jeeps for a good compromise between a practical vehicle with good fuel mileage plus reliability , and lots of space and enough power for various weather situations ( and for fun).

It all depends what you intend to use it for. No point getting an SUV if you won't be using it and a small car will do. I know many people who swear by their fords ( reliable, good mileage, easy to get parts, and have heard good things about their service at the dealership).

Good luck! Excited for you!

Yes, I will definitely get AAA. I think that some of the leased cars come with roadside assistance as well. Well, what I like about being in a SUV is being a bit higher up and having more metal to protect me if I get into a car accident. But I like the fuel efficiency and price tag of the smaller cars!! But certainly, I'm not going on any excursions where an SUV would be expected to go. If I suddenly lose my job, I don't want to be stuck with a large lease payment!

I don't have any relatives in the area, I guess I could drag some male friends with me car shopping. But I do feel like I'm doing the background research, pricing out different options, I'll negotiate as well. I'm also hoping with the end of the year that they'll want to unload cars.

You can always inquire at the dealership if they have some year-end models, either new or pre-leased used, to look at. The used pre-leased ones at ones that they leased out to other customers and those could be a really good deal for you. They will cost less than new models, dealerships are eager to get rid of them, but because they were leased out, they were likely taken care of well, serviced on schedule, cleaned, etc.

I second the AAA suggestion. I have the "basic" level of AAA and it has definitely saved my behind a few times in the several years I've had it. I've even used it while traveling (driving) out of state. They are great. Definitely worth the small cost.

I'll throw in my dollar's worth of opinion here.

Echoing others avoid Leasing like you would avoid political discussions with crazy uncle Bob. Pre-owned really would be the best solution in your situation.

With your work travels it sounds like you will be spending multiple hours in the vehicle, so a smaller car while more fuel efficient may also be more uncomfortable to drive in at any distance over 1.5 hours (I regularly drive 2-8 hours for work and a stiff seat will become your personal hades).

The SUV vs Sedan, from my perspective I think for a fresh driver a crossover (Like the Rogue or similar) would do better as you have some added height without the higher center of gravity (body roll when in tight turns). If you are still planning to use Lyft etc for local business meetings; that would have me looking more at a larger car (not Crown Vic size, but something bigger that a Honda Fit) again for the comfort factor.

As for safety features, a lot of them are useful tools; but as a fellow motorist I beg you to not get too dependent on the tech. Nothing is a substitute for you and your glorious mind! I will also say avoid any lane correction features, I was along for a test drive in a SUV and it jerked the steering wheel violently to "stay in lane." I could foresee that causing an inexperienced driver to overreact and possibly get into a dangerous situation. So again a tool (just not one I care for).

As for Brands.... Well it's really up to what you like as far as comfort, performance, economy, and style. Buuuut my solicited opinion

Ford: Decent overall the ones I have been exposed to are pretty reliable and fairly comfortable

GM/Chevy: Not a Fan, they feel very plastic to me

Chrysler/Dodge: I'm a fan so biased, but even low level trim models seem to be pretty comfy and ride well for my driving style.

Toyota: Mostly positive from an operational standpoint, but lacking in some of the creature comforts, but reliable.

Lexus: Please Don't. Basically a fancy Toyota for bad drivers.

Nissan: Can be hit or miss, pretty good handling though

Mazda: I have no real experience with them beyond a 30 year old Rally car

Kia: Neither comfortable or fun to ride in

Fiat: No experience

Mini: No experience

Jeep: A stiffer Dodge

Subaru: While I hate the brand they, do make a decent product but again on the stiff side for my tastes

Not an exhaustive list, by any means.

I talked on the phone with my future coworker. He told me that in the last 15 months, he's driven 22,000 miles (that includes personal driving). He also lives in a more suburban area, whereas I am urban and can walk to a lot of client sites (and some I can't walk to and will need to drive or fly).

I went back to Honda, I wasn't a huge fan. I went to Mazda and really liked the CX-5 2017. However, they were heavily pushing me to a lease, and when I asked them to show me some pre-owned certified cars, they kind of danced around it. I went back to Nissan, and they showed me a 2015 pre-owned Rogue I liked, 20,000 miles on it, they seemed eager to sell it to me today but I said I still needed more time to think and price things out.

While test driving, I got honked at for coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and waiting 2 seconds.

You may have already bought/leased a car, but I was in your position a couple of years ago with some of your same requirements, and I went with the Subaru Forester AWD. It's what they call a compact SUV; it burns fuel cleanly (PZEV), gets good gas mileage. It's highly rated and retains its value. It also has that rear view camera you like.

What I don't like so much is the Forester seems more designed for the Pacific Northwest crowd. It's got all the bells and whistles (leather seats, sun roof, good sound system), but the bells and whistles are more rugged and not as user friendly as other compact SUVs I've been in such as the Jeep and the Mazda. It makes sense the hiking and camping crowd wouldn't be bothered since rugged is what they're all about, but I wanted something a bit more luxurious.

I am actually considering trading in the Forester for a Mazda CX5. I have test driven it; I like how it handles and it looks sporty. You just need to make sure it's AWD if that's what you're looking for, so you'd want one of the higher end models like the Grand Touring. I agree it can be difficult to find a pre-owned Mazda, which could be a good sign. Maybe people are holding onto them, but they're out there. And I also had a similar experience to you when I went to the Mazda dealership; I went in to look at a specific car and then they mysteriously didn't have it. Have you tried cargurus.com? Love that site.

But if I could afford it, I would 100% get a Lexus hybrid (RX450h). They are super comfortable. It's a pleasure to actually put your hands on that steering wheel; the tech package is fluid and intuitive; the seats are luxurious, and they drive well. This is Toyota's luxury brand. It has a great rep and absolutely holds it value. My company leased one for my crew a couple summers ago and we all loved it. It's like flying first class instead of coach.

Also for what it's worth, I looked up the Nissan Rogue and Edmunds rated it below many of the other compact SUVS, wrote that it has lethargic acceleration and poor visibility.

p.s. You can totally pause at stop signs (line from "Clueless.")

I am actually considering trading in the Forester for a Mazda CX5. I have test driven it; I like how it handles and it looks sporty. You just need to make sure it's AWD if that's what you're looking for, so you'd want one of the higher end models like the Grand Touring. I agree it can be difficult to find a pre-owned Mazda, which could be a good sign. Maybe people are holding onto them, but they're out there. And I also had a similar experience to you when I went to the Mazda dealership; I went in to look at a specific car and then they mysteriously didn't have it. Have you tried cargurus.com? Love that site.

Yeah, I'm not having an easy time finding pre-owned Mazda Grand Touring's either. I see that there was a recall a few years ago, but I don't know if that's connected, or people just really like them.

I haven't been to cargurus.com. I'll take a look at that site.

Thanks!!!

My insurance rates are going to be really high because I've never been insured before. Around $260/month. That plus parking and the car payments.... and I haven't even driven it anywhere! This is why I never had a car for so long.

That is high! When I was back in the GTA we paid $360 a month for two cars . But now I’m out of the GTA and we are insured by a massive plan that ensures a lot of military and government members and I only pay 195 for three vehicles .

Vehicles are very expensive .

We absolutely need vehicles though because I live in a little Podunk town and I’d be going absolutely nowhere if I didn’t have one .

That is high! When I was back in the GTA we paid $360 a month for two cars . But now I’m out of the GTA and we are insured by a massive plan that ensures a lot of military and government members and I only pay 195 for three vehicles .

Vehicles are very expensive .

We absolutely need vehicles though because I live in a little Podunk town and I’d be going absolutely nowhere if I didn’t have one .

Yeah, I live in the city and do fine without one, but it this job requires it. Hopefully after 6 months, my payments will drop.

I was was talking to a professor I know who lives in the city. He’s been driving the same car for 20 years and it has only 80,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started looking at some sedans, like a Nissan Altima. I'm going to go test drive next week. The prices are much better and I feel more comfortable having lower monthly payments for a while. I can always trade in in a few years.

Still haven't found parking yet. There is an apartment complex 6 blocks away from me with parking spots open, but no one from the office ever calls me back!! gah. I can do street parking, but I need to get a parking permit from the city. This is so complicated.....

I've started looking at some sedans, like a Nissan Altima. I'm going to go test drive next week. The prices are much better and I feel more comfortable having lower monthly payments for a while. I can always trade in in a few years.

Still haven't found parking yet. There is an apartment complex 6 blocks away from me with parking spots open, but no one from the office ever calls me back!! gah. I can do street parking, but I need to get a parking permit from the city. This is so complicated.....

Annie, be sure to research those cars with Consumers Reports. Nissan Altima used to be rated one of the worst made cars- needing frequent repairs.

You are better off looking at Toyota, Subaru, possibly Honda.

Too bad you can't just hire a driver. Less complicated...

Archived