Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Jibralta

Well, on the other hand a good employer gives raises to the employees that deserve it. He doesn't wait for the employees to find a better offer and then makes a bid too. "If I offered you the same amount, would you stay" and "Don’t do it for the money" are manipulative in my opinion.

Well, on the other hand a good employer gives raises to the employees that deserve it. He doesn't wait for the employees to find a better offer and then makes a bid too. "If I offered you the same amount, would you stay" and "Don’t do it for the money" are manipulative in my opinion.

He told me that he has been pushing for the raise. I believe him. And even if he didn't push for the raise, he is a good employer. We never have any trouble taking time off. We can come and go as we please. We are payed overtime and salaried. The group dynamic is very healthy overall. Both bosses are very good at keeping things running smoothly. They are professional and respectful. They handle crises calmly and expertly. Maybe my presentation of those two statements makes it seem otherwise, but a more straightforward and direct person doesn't walk the earth.

It's a little scary to walk away from this place. I really am quite happy here. I have no idea how this other company operates.

Oh my goodness, Jib! Now you really have some thinking to do! Congrats either way!

Wow. . So much has happened in just a few days.

I wish you the best in whichever decision you choose, J!

Thank you!!

Today, the big boss called from the road to get my final decision. I told him I was leaving. He said it would be nice if I could wait for my actual boss to return from vacation on Friday. I agreed that it would be nice, but I didn't think it was possible. Then the big boss told me to write up a resignation letter. Sigh. I haven't done that, yet.

After I got off the phone with the big boss, I told the PM and assistant PM for the construction project. The PM looked horrified, but I think the expression on his face made him change his reaction to something more positive. He was actually very reassuring. He said, "Congratulations, you deserve it. This is the right move. They will never give you what you deserve here. You are intelligent and capable, and you will do fine." I told him that I was a little afraid that I wouldn't like the new place. He said, "You are young, and you can change jobs. Some people even come back here. They go somewhere else for a few months, then come back and ask for more money. If you do that, make sure they give you what they want or don't come back. I'm old, and I can't do that anymore. I just need to wait a few more years and then I can go home and be with my grandchildren." Apparently, he also tried to get a raise for one of his employees. The guy-in-charge pretends to forget, and pretends like you were supposed to remind him. The PM told me that if April hits and you haven't gotten the raise, you will never see it.

The assistant PM was pissed. Not at me, but at the guy-in-charge. No one likes that guy. The assistant PM assured me that he had strongly supported my boss in getting me the raise. He showed me an email that he had written to my boss in support of my raise and promotion. He pointed out that it was dated back in January. I said, "I know. He [my boss] told me that you were very supportive."

Telling those guys was pretty easy. But when I think of my two bosses, my boss and the big boss, I just want to cry. I'm excited about the new job, but there's something so sad about leaving. I feel like I may never see them again.

I got the written job offer today. I was a little stunned by the level of responsibility I am going to have.

I went back and checked my resume, to make sure I didn't inflate my current responsibilities. I was very careful not to, but you never know how people might interpret things.

Even during the second interview, I told the guy that I have gaps in my experience that needed to be filled. He accepted this and said that this job would fill in those areas for me.

Well, I guess they're going to throw me right in!

My boss was back from vacation today. I assumed my big boss gave him a head's up, but apparently not. He was totally stunned. And pissed at that same jack@ss that everybody hates. He said, "Let me talk to the big boss. I think we can come close to this number." I shook my head and said, "I already talked to him. This is a good opportunity for me."

My boss told me that he got sick of chasing the jack@ss. He said the big boss had taken over my raise issue and added it to a heap of other things that he was pushing the jack@ss to address.

Anyway, I got all misty-eyed talking to my boss. I didn't realize this would be such an emotional process.

I submitted my resignation letter this afternoon.

Yesterday, I told the resident engineer at the construction site. He was not surprised. I think I inadvertently tipped him off on Monday when I was complaining about the project budget. This was before they notified me that I had the job. I said, "What would happen if I left, or you left?" He looked surprised when I said that. I think he knew what I was thinking before I knew.

Sure, raises don't come without the respective responsibilities. Everything new is difficult at first. However, you are competent and you will make it. It's a big step, be proud of yourself! Good luck with your new job :)

Yesterday, I gave my notice to my part time employer. I can no longer work for him because I have to sign a non compete agreement. It was ridiculously hard to write the email because I felt bad. He is a small business trying to grow, and he has limited resources.

He took the news well, but I think he is kind of miffed at me. He said, “I am disappointed that things did not work out the way I had hoped for, with you coming on full time as we discussed..” and then he closed with, “I guess you can work on xyz project until your departure.”

I’m going there today after work. I hope he is polite!

When I got to the part time job yesterday, the boss was out of the office and it was just the two interns. I didn't know if he'd told them I was leaving or not, so I just said "Hi," and got to work. The three of us usually chat when the boss is out of the office, but yesterday both boys were super quiet. I started to think that the boss had told them I was leaving, and that they felt some sort of resentment towards me for abandoning them right as they were trying to get things off the ground.

The younger guy left for the day, and then it was just me and the other kid, who is out of undergraduate school and more mature. So I turned to him and said, "Did the boss tell you that I was leaving?" He said, "No. Where are you going?" I told him. He sounded genuinely happy for me. He told me that he and the other kid had just been talking about me, saying that they liked my energy. I told him how I felt about the whole thing, how my feelings were all over the place. He said, "You have to be fearless." I liked hearing that a lot.

The last intern departed. Soon after, the boss came in. He acted like he forgot I was going to be there. Yeah right. It was only the day before that I told him I was quitting, and he closed his reply email with "See you Monday." I didn't call him out, of course.

He was totally nice. He told me that he was bummed, and that he'd spoken to his wife about it. She said his ego was bruised. He asked me where I was going. I told him. He knows the firm and hopes to one day be able to take some of their market share. He asked me how much they offered me, and I told him. He said, "I'd pay you that." (Yeah, everyone says that now, lol). He asked about benefits, and I told him about them. Then it felt like he was trying to sell me on the benefits that he offered. But I googled them, and I know they are not good. So I tried to change the subject as tactfully as possible.

Today was an office day at my regular job. I sent my resignation letter out on Friday afternoon, and hadn't heard anything since. So I went into my boss's office and asked him if he got the letter. He said he had, and that the big boss had forwarded it to "other people" along with some "I told you so" type comments. He apologized for not being able to prevent me from searching for a job. Kind of a funny thing to say, but I think the line of reasoning was that I never would have looked for the job if he'd gotten me the raise. He is correct, of course. However, the big boss helped, too, by making me update my resume.

Anyway, my feelings have largely settled over this issue.

Next week is my last week at both my full time and part time jobs. I can just walk away from the part time job. But there are some formalities to undergo with the full time job, like the exit interview.

I was a little confused when they set up my exit interview for this past Thursday, instead of the end of next week. I even went into my boss and asked, "Are they firing me early? Will I be able to get back in the building after this?" He said it was just a matter of convenience for whomever was doing the exit interview.

Well, I think I know why they scheduled it early. Right at the beginning of the phone call, the HR person "reiterated" the counteroffer that I supposedly received. It was higher than the number that I will be getting from the new company, but not high enough to make me change my mind. Money is only part of the reason that I am leaving.

What infuriated me was that HR person said that the jack*ss said that he'd me made me a counter offer, and asked her to "reiterate" it to me. I told her that no such thing had happened, and that she wasn't re iterating the offer. This was the very first time I was hearing that specific number. I explained that my big boss asked me if I would stay if he matched their offer, and that he might be able to go a little bit higher. I thought about it for a day, and ultimately said no. Then my regular boss offered to match my salary, but I told him that my decision went beyond money. I know that he communicated that to her specifically, and I told her so. She then acknowledged it to me. I told her that a specific number was never presented, and the jack*ss himself had certainly never made me a formal offer. Furthermore, after what happened with my initial raise request, I had no desire to wait around while he avoided yet another decision.

Then she said something like, "So you're basically leaving because you're dissatisfied with the management in your local office." I was like, "No, that is not correct and please do not put that down anywhere. I am very happy with both of my bosses. They are both excellent. I would not be leaving right now if I had gotten the raise that I had requested back in January. I only started looking for a job because I received no response to that request after months of waiting. And I know for a fact that they sent my request in to both you and Jack*ass. I've seen the emails. So I know where this thing died and it's not their fault." I realized at this point that I was yelling at her.

To her credit, she remained calm and professional. By nature, I think she is probably a non-aggressive, diminutive sort of person and I can see how that works well for people in the HR industry. I got a rein on myself, and we continued with the exit interview. It basically consisted of her reading off of a pdf that she'd sent me two days before. I'm sorry to say that she didn't even do that well. She was quite disorganized and was unable to offer any insight beyond what was written on the two pages that she read from. But this is just a symptom of this ridiculous behemoth of a company. I counted eleven different number that I need to call for various HR issues. ELEVEN. Uggh. According to her, there are so many numbers because they were understaffed. I thought that was funny--it sounds more like they are overstaffed to me if her function is to read off of a piece of paper and provide zero insight. I can do that myself for free! But I guess her real responsibility is to act as an intermediary for evasive managers. She definitely deserves payment for that. But the company is stupid to prioritize this way. I'd pay an HR person to explain HR policies, not to serve as the front line for a negligent manager.

There is more that I wanted to say, but now my head is sort of spinning from writing this all out.

Oh, well one other thing that I can mention is that she was 20 minutes late for the exit interview phone call! Such garbage.

It was higher than the number that I will be getting from the new company, but not high enough to make me change my mind. Money is only part of the reason that I am leaving.

Ha, it seems you are very valuable to the company. It's a compliment if you think about it. Nevertheless, I think it's good you are making this change. Plus, now you know your market value :)

I totally understand.

I was so pissed at my old job when they did something similiar.

I had asked for a raise for a year at my company and I just kept getting the run around.

I could even show that my production value was twice that of the average chemist at our company and they still beat around the bush.

I got a lot of bull excuses and all that.

So then they give a position to an under qualified person and asked me to train him for 6 months to do a job no one but me and a manager knew how.

I had a job offer a week later and turned in my notice.

Told my manager he could train him.

So then they offer me a 10k raise.

I was either going to yell at them or laugh.

I laughed.

Then when he started to tell me why it is my fault and not his that I didn't get a raise earlier I just walked out of my exit interview.

If they wanted to keep you and were intelligent about it you would have never been dissatisfied enough to start looking.

They caused it and now just want the blame to be elsewhere.

#uck them

Ha, it seems you are very valuable to the company. It's a compliment if you think about it. Nevertheless, I think it's good you are making this change. Plus, now you know your market value :)

It's very gratifying to see. I wish I'd realized it earlier. But maybe it's better that things worked out this way. This new job is going to round out my experience, and that will be good.

I was telling my boyfriend: I can't see the road ahead, but I feel the current pulling me in this direction.

I had asked for a raise for a year at my company and I just kept getting the run around.

I could even show that my production value was twice that of the average chemist at our company and they still beat around the bush.

I got a lot of bull excuses and all that.

It's funny how they don't just come out and say "no."

Then when he started to tell me why it is my fault and not his that I didn't get a raise earlier I just walked out of my exit interview.

It sounds like it was a bad situation for you all around. Good thing you got out of it.

If they wanted to keep you and were intelligent about it you would have never been dissatisfied enough to start looking.

They caused it and now just want the blame to be elsewhere.

That's what my boss said to them: She never would have started looking in the first place, if she'd been given the raise that she'd asked for.

He's exactly right.

They're so stupid.

Today, I started cleaning out my desk and the surrounding area. Most of it is going directly in the garbage (well, recycling). I can't believe how long it's taking to go through everything. I'm glad I started today! I feel like once I get this done, I can sit down quietly and do the last of my work.

Right now, my mind is not quiet enough to concentrate on this one last thing that I want to do: a logarithmic interpolation of recurrence intervals! Woohoo!

The problem is, for one particular flood study we want to target the correct recurrence interval for certain geographical areas. And this depends on where a specific water surface elevation crosses the stage-frequency curves. The challenge is that the recurrence intervals are 2yr, 5yr, 10yr, 25yr, 50yr, 100yr, 250yr, and 500yr, and the stage-discharge functions are curved lines that often cross between the typical intervals. If you plot those intervals on a graph, 2yr and 5yr are smooshed up against each other, while the 100yr and 500yr are far apart. It's really difficult to tell where your lines cross when your axis requires so much and so little detail all at one time. One possible solution is to use a logarithmic scale. This straightens out the curves, but then your axis is organized exponentially and requires interpolation. At this point, we have the basic logarithmic interpolation done, and now all that remains is a linear interpolation which I am working up to!! It is the simplest of things, but I rarely do it and I need a quiet mind or I'll keep procrastinating. Maybe on Friday afternoon I can do it.

In other news, they are kind of messing up in finding a replacement for me on the construction site. They've had three weeks, and they wasted two weeks assuming that they can use someone who is actually not available. So they sent someone out to me on Monday, and she is somehow supposed to figure out what is going on in one day.... Good luck with that!

Heard this on the way to work yesterday morning (my last day). I forgot what an awesome song this was. And it seemed appropriate, given this next phase of my career.

The Gambler

Kenny Rogers

On a warm summer's eve

On a train bound from nowhere

I met up with a gambler

We were both too tired to sleep

So we took turns a-starin

Out the window at the darkness

Til boredom overtook us

And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made my life

Out of readin people's faces

And knowin what they're cards were

By the way they held their eyes.

"So if you don't mind me sayin

I can see you're out of aces.

For a taste of your whiskey

I'll give you some advice."

So I handed him my bottle

And he drank down my last swallow.

Then he bummed a cigarette

And asked me for a light.

And the night got deathly quiet

His face lost all expression

He said, "If you're gonna play the game boy,

You gotta learn to play it right.

"You got to know when to hold em

Know when to fold em

Know when to walk away

Know when to run

"You never count your money

When you're sittin at the table.

There'll be time enough for countin

When the dealin's done.

"Now every gambler knows

That the secret to surviving

Is knowing what to throw away

And knowing what to keep.

"Cause every hand's a winner

And every hand's a loser

And the best that you can hope for

Is to die in your sleep."

So when he finished speakin

He turned back toward the window

Crushed out his cigarrete

And faded off to sleep.

And somewhere in the darkness,

The gambler, he broke even.

But in his final words I found

An ace that I could keep.

This past week, I had four going away celebrations. On Wednesday, at the construction site, I had cake with the resident engineer (my coworker), and some people from the general contractor's side: the project manager, the surveyor, and a couple of the equipment operators. That was nice because my relationship with the GC is adversarial, especially so with their project manager (it has to be that way), and I was glad to end things on a friendly note. I really respect that GC. They are really good, and it was a great experience working with them

On Thursday, I had lunch with my boss and a few coworkers. Then, later, I had dinner with most of those same people plus a whole bunch more. My boyfriend also joined the party, and my bosses/coworkers bought him dinner too, which was totally unexpected and beyond nice.

Yesterday, my construction project team went to lunch and a bunch of people who couldn't make it to the dinner joined us as well.

Overall, it was a really nice send-off. Only slightly marred by the fact that there are still at least two people in my office who intensely dislike me. What kind of cavemen/cavewomen are these? So pointless. Anyway, I didn't say goodbye to them. Just a mental good riddance and middle finger. And question mark.

It took me three days to clean out my desk. It was mostly files that had accumulated over the last five years. It took so long because I had to go through them to make sure I didn't throw out anything that should be saved. Well, 95% of it didn't need to be saved so I ended up going through a lot of garbage! I didn't get out of work yesterday until 4:45PM. I expected to be out by 3PM. But there were just so many little things to be done.

I went around the building saying good bye to the people I'd worked with. The office manager told me that everyone always spoke very highly of me. The accounting manager basically said the same thing, and that I was known for my knowledge base (news to me!). I received a very nice email from the structural engineer on the construction project, saying he knew that I would be successful because of my work ethic. The geotechnical engineer told me that I was the best project manager that he's worked with and that I saved his ass numerous times. I wasn't technically the project manager for that project, but let's face it I ran that project on our side.

I had to cancel my hair appointment for last night because I got out of work too late to make it. I also had a phone call with my mentee, which I had cancelled twice already this week due to my tumultuous schedule and couldn't in good conscience cancel again. THEN I was supposed to facetime with my stepfather for his birthday, but I was still on the phone with my super-chatty mentee and practically yelled at the guy so that I could get off the phone. I felt really bad about that. Sometimes when I get stressed, I go directly into smash-mode. I called him back after and apologized.

Today, we have a birthday party for my boyfriend's friend's 2-yo daughter. Tomorrow we have to drive down to his mom's town for Mother's Day to take her to dinner. I really wish I had thought to take a vacation before starting the new job because I am in high stress mode.

I think it was a good move. The place seems to be well run, and my coworkers seem very knowledgeable. They threw me right into a new project, a 110-unit condo development, which I think is smart on their part. It will allow them to see exactly where I sink or swim. So, the signs are all good so far. The two grumpy individuals that I encountered during the interviewing process turned out to not be very grumpy at all. They are both just sort of terse/sarcastic, which is my comfort zone anyway. I did get into a slight altercation with the IT guy on the second day, but I think it was just a misunderstanding.

• Like 1