Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Paragraphs

TMifune

I think sometimes people are so focused on their emotions that they don't consider legibility and how difficult it is to read a wall of text. I also would imagine that the average person doesn't spend a lot of time writing papers & such to remember to separate their words into paragraphs.

Also, not everybody is a native English speaker. And then of course there are people with written language disabilities. My son has a written language disability . I know a big wall of text is hard to read though, but that's mostly because my eyes are old and due to that it's very difficult. But people with much younger eyes don't usually think of that.

paragraphs seem like such a fundamental concept....like I'd almost have to make a conscious decision to do it in a block.

I wonder if they even teach this in schools these days because it seems to be the new "in thing" by writing everything in massive blocks. When I see a huge block of text I don't even both reading it anymore - I actually find it impossible to read so just give up. Very annoying.

Too many kids are being passed through school without anyone making sure they actually learned anything. It's easier that way. Plus, if students fail the schools lose their federal funding so...

Fortunately there are a handful of teachers with integrity who actually care if their students learn. But not enough of them exist.

it's the emotional mess i think.

i have no problem separating official texts. i do tons of paperwork and always have, since my teens. no problem.

but a couple of years ago i was feeling an incredible mess, posted here- completely distraught- and got zero replies. i had to admit that was understandable.

ppl probably took one look at the text and went "uh-oh. one of those. she can't even make head or tail of this, let alone us".

it was true. if someone had asked me to "organize" that turmoil i probably would've gone : " i don't think you understand how much I cannot do that. that's kinda the issue."

part of it could be laziness. if it's not work related i'll try getting away with not even using capital letters.

Archived