Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

yay!!!!!!!!

Omg he picked a pair himself with no distress. Buying a pair shoes used to reduce him to crying on the floor . And he even picked out a spring jacket for himself that has a logo which he's never done before ! And to top it off it wasn't red his coat always have to be red. It was BLUE!

[video=youtube_share;YaI9s7pa9Y4] ]

And so it goes... * sigh*

And this is provided you can even get on a list! For those of us who have children who have more functionality you can't even get on the list. There's no help for you just suck it up. By this fall it will be two years waiting to hear from from the DSO.

Want to know what I've ever been offered for autistic services?

1.A two day parental training session in ABA. And all two days went over ABA therapy for children nine and under. Not sure what good that was to me.

2. $1000 for respite , never used and reallocated.

3. An eight week ABA therapy program for my son that he went to for all of TWO days before he said I can't deal with this crap anymore.

Whoooooopie! Other than that I have done this all myself.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one part of the Autistic pride movement that really annoys me . And that is the fact they say if you talk about challenges raising your Autistic child you are making their disability about you . And you have no right to talk about their disability . Mmmmm ,well, I hate to break this to you every parent talks about challenges of child rearing . And a person's disability affects more than just a disabled person . Mm mm,K!

And I get that a lot of Autistic people were abused by their parents due to their disability but let's not project that onto every parent . A lot of us are actually good parents and we are doing the best we can . And it has nothing to do with making our children's disability about us . We just want to see our children do the best they can . And there are struggles along the way ! And why can't we can talk about that ?!

I guess I would say I'm in between the two movements . I tend to incorporate a bit from both . I think though most parents just want to do the best they can for their kids and help them the best that they know how . And what they think will work best . And that is really the only thing a parent can do .

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I watched a bit of the documentary " Autism in Love" a few days ago. Today he said to me mom I think the reason I have achieved so much is I was not treated as Autistic by the school system or you. I was treated like I just had a learning disability. I was pushed to achieve like every other kid. I think that is the difference.

Today we spent a lot of the day together.

And today he was invited to the SECOND birthday party in his whole life. That made my heart swell with happiness.

There is one part of the Autistic pride movement that really annoys me . And that is the fact they say if you talk about challenges raising your Autistic child you are making their disability about you . And you have no right to talk about their disability . Mmmmm ,well, I hate to break this to you every parent talks about challenges of child rearing . And a person's disability affects more than just a disabled person . Mm mm,K!

I think parental support groups and such are great. What I find harmful is parents who post photos of their child on social media with their anecdotes, or write published articles on their struggles with raising that child and include the photo and name of the child and possibly other identifying info. They have no idea that it sort of marks them for life, in a way. What if they are to the point in adulthood where not everyone knows they are autistic through coping mechanisms and just being self aware of their triggers, etc.. it makes it hard for a child to not be known as "the autistic one" and prevents them from operating with an undetected disability if they choose to live their life that way. I don't think parents should document every tantrum of neurotypical children either, of course, but worse for children who struggle to fit in.

Then yes, I think in those cases the parent is putting themselves ahead of their child.

I think parental support groups and such are great. What I find harmful is parents who post photos of their child on social media with their anecdotes, or write published articles on their struggles with raising that child and include the photo and name of the child and possibly other identifying info. They have no idea that it sort of marks them for life, in a way. What if they are to the point in adulthood where not everyone knows they are autistic through coping mechanisms and just being self aware of their triggers, etc.. it makes it hard for a child to not be known as "the autistic one." I don't think parents should document every tantrum of neurotypical children either, of course, but worse for children who struggle to fit in.

Then yes, I think in those cases the parent is putting themselves ahead of their child.

I think yes, identifying info should be left out.

I think though parent support groups only do so much. It did diddly squat for me although I know some who enjoy it. All the people I went there with have left since the new person took over. Her focus is entirely on little kids.

Thanks so much for the adult autistic view point without bashing me to death . I did belong to a 90% autistic adult group online group. And they had ZERO anything good to say about neurotypical people, they all hated their parents with a passion . That was a rough group. I am just trying to produce a healthy happy autistic person but I have no road map.

Reducing ambient background noises at places of employment may be near to impossible. Some jobs are just noise producing by their very nature. My son has problems concentrating in a work environment and gets very easily stressed there. He has trouble getting and holding jobs for this reason. It's very frustrating for everyone involved.

Reducing ambient background noises at places of employment may be near to impossible. Some jobs are just noise producing by their very nature. My son has problems concentrating in a work environment and gets very easily stressed there. He has trouble getting and holding jobs for this reason. It's very frustrating for everyone involved.

For sure . My son does find noise very distressing.

• 1 month later...

/

Be aware let your children's professors know that they are on the spectrum and ways to help them. All my son's professors know that he is on the spectrum he is also supported at the college and one of his professors is also on the spectrum and has three sons that are on the spectrum as well. Administration and office staff also know that my son is on the spectrum. That way he can be supported not BLAMED for challenging behaviour .