What made you fall in love with your SO?

jmantra

He was intelligent, kind,shy and always had this enormous smile. He had an intact family that seemed to love one another. We shared a lot interests. And the second we were introduced to each other, in fact the second I looked into his gorgeous blue eyes I knew 100% this was the man I was destined to marry. We have been married 20 years and together for 26 years this October.

When ppl ask me about him these days I come close to tearing up (pregnancy has made me a bit emotional!). It's very similar to the above though: gentleness with me, intelligence, always has time for me no matter how busy, great listener with insightful things to say, I admire him for having wide interests and being so well informed, he's funny and so easy to be myself with, he has an incredibly forgiving nature, he's incredibly loyal and conscientious, extremely supportive, puts me first ... He makes me feel extremely loved.

I knew instantly that I was going to marry J.

He was silly, charming, sexy, and a big nerd - all rolled into one.

The day I knew our love would last, was the same day he stayed and decided to challenge the world, when he could've left me.

I was diagnosed with a rare brain condition. I started seizing, losing my memory... and every seizure by my side, you'll see my J. He's tapping my face, pushing my hair out of the way, telling me to focus on his voice and his face, he's reassuring me... and he's at every neuro appointment, fighting back. Demanding more tests, asking about the surgery...

He has my back. Like no one else has ever had. At night when he thinks I'm sleeping, he leans over and kisses my shoulder or back before wrapping his arm around me and pulling me into him. He covers me up constantly throughout the night (I'm a light sleeper, I notice everything... but I don't tell him. LOL I just let him do his thing). He refuses to go to bed without telling me how much he loves me first (and this has been going on for quite some time now.. we're long past our honeymoon phase lol) ...When I'm sick or my brain is acting up worse than normal, he picks me up, carries me to bed, - all in all, J looks out for my best interest, even when I don't. I'd be lost without him, and so, that is how I know I love him. He is my rock, my voice, my backbone, and my saving grace when I seize... especially in the shower. LOL Done that twice now, and if it werent for him I'm certain I would drown (;

• 2 weeks later...

There are moments that seem silly. I knew i wanted a date when he said he and friend at work enjoy that they can comfortably wear a suit in 100 degree heat. I gave in to the feeling of falling when he sent me a text telling me of a proud parenting moment. It's new, I won't say Ily yet, i think love needs to be aged, tested. I said it the other night, as a parenthetical phrase, in a dream. I woke glad it was dream only.

What i love about him is legion. His open mind, polite behavior, relentlessly positive spirit, the way he leads his kids by following and guiding, not directing. The way he expresses himself through touch, the affection he has for his parents and their relationship. His boyish appetite for experience, as if he weren't as worldly as he is; his worldliness.

I am still on the outside, yet i am as inside as anyone since his wife. Everyone at his or her own pace. I knew when we met, in that asking him out was the easiest thing I've ever done. Time will tell if i was right.

-how we understand each other emotionally, no one needs to "apologize" for feelings or anything. I feel very validated and safe yet vulnerable.

-his desire for a balanced, full life, just like me, and the steps he's taking to make that happen

-his intelligence

-how he's virile (handy around the house, strong, athletic, extremely conscious about personal safety so I feel very protected by him when we are out and about), yet has some more feminine traits, like having me "take the reins" so to speak without being a pushover, expressing his emotions well, being very romantic/affectionate. I've always had many more masculine traits and I have a dominant streak, so I feel like I can express those parts of me fully while also still being feminine and feeling pretty. Very rare.

-I accidentally walked in to find out that he always urinates sitting down for no other reason than "it's much neater this way and it doesn't make a mess that I have to clean up". Someone who is as practical as I am even when it goes against social conventions! Wow!

I don't know exactly. I remember first seeing him and it hit me like lightning and I was soooo infatuated (I dont' believe in love at first sight). I was actually getting over my ex too so it was kind of confusing but I knew I couldn't let him get away. It was iffy the first year since I had still lingering feelings over my ex but I didn't want him... I think just over time building something with your partner just becomes stronger and love.

Archived