I'm jealous of my boyfriend's neice

roughinit

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then, you're not being shunned it seems. I could understand if you went there and absolutely no one would engage with you, and your boyfriend was off in his own world. But that's not the case.

I guess I wasn't raised in a family where we favored one child more than the other.

There are more children?

I do interact her, give her a hug, etc. She likes me. She is very badly behaved, and I don't like supporting her bad behavior. She gets whatever she wants. She will be banging her fork on the table, and someone will say no very nicely, and she cries for 25 min, and they let her do it. I am not going to flaunt all over her, because I don't think it helps her.

How do you see it as supporting her behaviour? You have nothing to do with it. I think the issue is you would like to give her a good spanking which it sounds like she could use, but the other adults propogate her behaviour. I think thats more the issue than the actual child.

I don't want to flaunt all over her, and give her everything she wants. I'm nice to her, hug her, talk to her, etc. Her parent's and the rest of the family give her everything, and she doesn't appreciate anything. She asks for a soda at 9pm they say no, she cries, they give it to her. It amazes me.

She is a child. She will misbehave at times.

My boyfriend has a 15 month old niece. I am just as close to her as he is. We both play with her etc. I LOVE seeing him give her all his attention and I never feel jealous. The same with our son. I love it when my partner is cuddling our son and giving him attention. I never get jealous. My niece and my son are innocent children that deserve love and affection.

I get loads of love and affection at other times. It's easy to sacrifice it for a few hours a few times a month. Being all lovey dovey with the kid there would just be a little bit odd anyway.

Why do you feel the need to have his constant affection?

I see two options here. Suck it up and try not to let it get to you.

Or...and this is what I'd do...fight her...

Kind of like those cliche movie scenes when an adult and a child fights for attention. Just don't take it too far because she's only six. But you never know, it could turn into a fun little game you play with her and it might make you feel more comfortable. It's a little far-fetched but it might work.

These are learned responses from her caretakers. I cry, I get what I want. She's not 16, she's 6.

I don't think you have any business resenting anyone, even her parents. Their style of parenting, no matter how much you vehemently disagree, is none of your business(unless she is being abused or neglected).

I don't feel the need to dote on her. That's just not how I show my affection. I don't need to be the center of his attention, I just wish he would treat me the same as he does any other day. And I'm not talking about make out sessions, I'm talking peck's on the cheek, etc.

I don't want to flaunt all over her, and give her everything she wants. I'm nice to her, hug her, talk to her, etc. Her parent's and the rest of the family give her everything, and she doesn't appreciate anything. She asks for a soda at 9pm they say no, she cries, they give it to her. It amazes me.

Oh parents, we always take the heat no matter what we do ;-). It's none of your business or concern how they parent her -they're not abusing her, right? If she is rude or disrespectful to you then you can say to her nicely "please do not talk to me that way" or simply laugh it off and ignore it. I agree you're not being pushed aside - I think you need to go with the flow more because there will be times you need to be in the background in family or professional situations and accept it.

I don't feel the need to dote on her. That's just not how I show my affection. I don't need to be the center of his attention, I just wish he would treat me the same as he does any other day. And I'm not talking about make out sessions, I'm talking peck's on the cheek, etc.

So she is spoild for expecting attention and cries. You expect attention and pout... I think your projecting a bit.

I don't know where you are getting me needing my boyfriend to dote on me. All I said is that any other time we are affectionate, kiss on the cheek, holding hands for a moment, quick hug. That's not doting. I'm not talking about making out, or sitting on his lap or anything.

Archived