My b/f won't introduce me to his parents

lilsmc

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually we don't know that. She could know his friends (and it's kind of likely if she spends nearly every day and each weekend with him) and she might know other family members, just not the parents.

In many cultures I know you only bring a GF home to meet parents if you are thinking about getting married.

Sorry I was referring back to the initial topic, the boyfriends parents/mother OP said he had not introduced her.

The FB issue is much less of an issue than meeting the parents, yet, that's all people want to focus on.

That would seem to indicate that it's a rather important, or at least complex, issue.

If someone asks "Is it ever right to fire-bomb a rescue shelter for adorable abandoned puppies?" they tend to get a few "obviously nots" and that's it! The more difficult questions provoke more discussion, and in the case of FB that's probably because it's sufficiently novel that social norms around it haven't completely coalesced.

We don't really have enough information here to comment on the Facebook friendship or lack of; but I will say that I had a very long term relationship with a guy whose parents I met after we'd been together for two years, and it was three years before he met my mother. This was a reflection of the relationships we had with our respective parents, not each other.

My last two relationships were with guys who introduced me to their parents within the first few weeks. They were both very keen to commit in the early days - and both turned out to be abusive and controlling.

I exist on facebook, but never sign in or comment. I exist in case anyone does want to find me, period.

The most recent boyfriend I had for a year and a half was not my friend on facebook, nor did either of us post that we were "in a relationship." He was an avid user of facebook (constantly commenting, uploading photos, etc.) and I respected his right to do that, but he did not expect me to do the same, just as I didn't expect him to use facebook the way I do.

And yet another boyfriend from years ago took at least a year and a half to introduce me to his mother, who lived in the same city. None of these "red flags" were red flags at all. They had nothing to do with the ultimate endings of those relationships.

So, if you dated a girl who refused to let you see her facebook page (had it so private you could not even see her pictures). You would be 100% ok with that and not question it at all? You would after a year of dating just accept it?

My bf of over a year asked me to be facebook friends. He started talking about how I could make some of my posts private so his family couldn't see etc.

I declined. One, because it was painful for me to have my ex boyfriend as a FB friend when we broke up. Two, because I don't want his family to see things he would say to me.

He respected that and knows if we married, that I would add him.

For me, I think the conversation didn't get to the heart of the matter. OP should have asked, do you see a future with me? That's the real question. Because if he doesn't, then it makes sense.

Archived