Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

New Journal

13 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Absolutely put your money in silver and gold. My brother has been doing it for years. He holds no debt and never has. He buys even cars cash. He talks about many other things as well and has been for about a decade . 

Interesting Seraphim! 

I can’t believe the UK have offloaded pretty much the majority of their gold reserve which as you know, physically backs up the federal reserve and the banks! 

What do you think about bitcoin?

Some people are obsessed with it here. They think it’s the get rich quick for 5 years time. I have zero clue about it, absolutely nothing. I know nothing when it comes to computers and programming and software so this stuff always boggles my mind! 

My sister bought a smidge of one, not a full bitcoin. This was about 6 years ago. Many of our friends have. They seem to think it’s a sound investment but I don’t understand it and know nothing so it’s not something I would do. I’d probably rather buy a flat and rent that out. At least that’s something tangible and physical, so I can wrap my head around that 🤣

Yes the cash buy is a wise move. I don’t understand why anyone wants an absolutely brand new car to just drive it out and have it depreciate by thousands off the forecourt. Maybe they are so wealthy they don’t care! 

x

1 hour ago, mylolita said:

Interesting Seraphim! 

I can’t believe the UK have offloaded pretty much the majority of their gold reserve which as you know, physically backs up the federal reserve and the banks! 

What do you think about bitcoin?

Some people are obsessed with it here. They think it’s the get rich quick for 5 years time. I have zero clue about it, absolutely nothing. I know nothing when it comes to computers and programming and software so this stuff always boggles my mind! 

My sister bought a smidge of one, not a full bitcoin. This was about 6 years ago. Many of our friends have. They seem to think it’s a sound investment but I don’t understand it and know nothing so it’s not something I would do. I’d probably rather buy a flat and rent that out. At least that’s something tangible and physical, so I can wrap my head around that 🤣

Yes the cash buy is a wise move. I don’t understand why anyone wants an absolutely brand new car to just drive it out and have it depreciate by thousands off the forecourt. Maybe they are so wealthy they don’t care! 

x

I literally know nothing about Bitcoin. 
My brother likes BMW. His first one he bought used but the one he has now was brand new. It is a gorgeous turquoise. Some kind of sport model I think. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Seraphim said:

I literally know nothing about Bitcoin. 
My brother likes BMW. His first one he bought used but the one he has now was brand new. It is a gorgeous turquoise. Some kind of sport model I think. 

Sounds fantastic Seraphim! 

There are many jokes here in England about BMW drivers or, “beamers” 🤣 stuff about, if you think your job is useless, just remember, there is someone who goes to work and puts indicators on BMW’s 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve been lucky enough to drive some very nice cars whilst still being young. It’s been a fun luxury, but by no means an essential. You covert it until you get it. Once you get it, you just look to the next. The age old torment of the human condition! 

You and me seem to be in the same boat regarding Bitcoin! Glad I’m not alone! 

x

23 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I liked hearing about martial bliss' garden. She was doing some cool things with her yard. I'm looking forward to being able to plant. It's so therapeutic. And fresh new veg again. Will perk up my spirits. 

Ah! Same! You’re a big gardener aren’t you grand? 

I have an L shaped walled yard at the mo. We live in a Victorian terrace house with a lawn at the front and old 18th century walls and wrought iron gates at the front also.

The back is small but I raised the floor up, had nice stone flags laid and deep beds next to the wall. I’d like to get some large potted trees as well soon, and looking at garden furniture and in the summer a wooden playhouse for the kids! My friend who lives across the road and has a landscaping company, got me a Virginia Creeper because, I’ve always loved them and wanted something to cover the wall fast!!

If you have any evergreen tree suggestions, I’d love to hear them! We’re coastal so the wind really gets up!

x

That sounds beautiful. Love the walls covered in greenery as well. I haven't attempted that but I love how it looks. 

Hah I wouldn't say a big gardener but I enjoy it and I'm getting better as I go. That's part of what I love, you can keep learning your whole life about it, and there's so much to try. My knowledge is pretty limited to what grows well here, so I feel unqualified to give advice on planting in England! There's a real rich history and I bet you could find a lot of nice people in your community who would love to give you advice though lol. Bonus to that is like your landscaper friend, gardeners loves sharing what they have. 

I got to spend some time just myself and my niece. She has grown into such a beautiful young woman, inside and out. I'm so proud of her and she's lots of fun to spend time with. She's so excited about the work she is doing now and told me how she's the only female in her new job but it doesn't bother her at all. But I could tell she's proud she's holding her own with the big boys! And she should be. I love her gumption to dive in and go for what she wants. 

It's funny what people remember too. She has stayed with us on and off for short periods as her home life has been less than great growing up. We spent many a night too out searching for her in her teens during a rocky period for her. I've hunted her down, pulled her out of some situations, and she was not so pleased with me at the time. But she always left with me! We had lots of chats in little hole in the walls at ungodly hours. She remembers what we ate lol.

I freaking love that woman. My SO was like "she's a good kid". I said "she's a woman now, not a kid". He said " she's a good KID". LOL . I guess even uncles can have a hard time coming to terms that the cute little kid is fully grown up. But she's earned being recognized as grown. She is building a life and stability for herself, pays her own way, and is already thinking and doing things that lend that hand out to help others. 

• Like 1
On 3/26/2024 at 11:14 AM, itsallgrand said:

I got to spend some time just myself and my niece. She has grown into such a beautiful young woman, inside and out. I'm so proud of her and she's lots of fun to spend time with. She's so excited about the work she is doing now and told me how she's the only female in her new job but it doesn't bother her at all. But I could tell she's proud she's holding her own with the big boys! And she should be. I love her gumption to dive in and go for what she wants. 

It's funny what people remember too. She has stayed with us on and off for short periods as her home life has been less than great growing up. We spent many a night too out searching for her in her teens during a rocky period for her. I've hunted her down, pulled her out of some situations, and she was not so pleased with me at the time. But she always left with me! We had lots of chats in little hole in the walls at ungodly hours. She remembers what we ate lol.

I freaking love that woman. My SO was like "she's a good kid". I said "she's a woman now, not a kid". He said " she's a good KID". LOL . I guess even uncles can have a hard time coming to terms that the cute little kid is fully grown up. But she's earned being recognized as grown. She is building a life and stability for herself, pays her own way, and is already thinking and doing things that lend that hand out to help others. 

I had very similar interactions with my oldest niece who is now in her mid 30s.  She even went to live with her other aunt for a couple of months as a teenager and I paid for piano lessons.  We also did sleepovers! Last one was for her 21st bday and she said - "don't have kids -my coworkers hate being moms " (meaning all the work/sleepless nights).  Well -I didn't tell her but I was about 7 weeks pregnant lol.  Now she has 3 kids and loves being a mom! I'm so delighted you've been such a part of her life -and that you're delighting in and beaming at the woman she's become!

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I had very similar interactions with my oldest niece who is now in her mid 30s.  She even went to live with her other aunt for a couple of months as a teenager and I paid for piano lessons.  We also did sleepovers! Last one was for her 21st bday and she said - "don't have kids -my coworkers hate being moms " (meaning all the work/sleepless nights).  Well -I didn't tell her but I was about 7 weeks pregnant lol.  Now she has 3 kids and loves being a mom! I'm so delighted you've been such a part of her life -and that you're delighting in and beaming at the woman she's become!

It's a really neat part of this point in my life! Seeing the kids who I've been loving up as little kids become adults and doing their own thing. I imagine it's this feeling of pride and delight on steroids for moms and dads. 

10 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

It's a really neat part of this point in my life! Seeing the kids who I've been loving up as little kids become adults and doing their own thing. I imagine it's this feeling of pride and delight on steroids for moms and dads. 

LOL yes and no -part of it is like PLEASE STOP TOO FAST! I tell him if his legs keep getting longer he'll owe us rent for taking up so much room.  But I love the growing independence and kind of enjoy the push pull of the teenage "mom!!! you're embarrassing me!!" vs. "I loved being in my man cave" (his description of when he was in the womb LOL).

Also -you may see this too - you see yourself -flaws and all -reflected in the temperament/likes/dislikes - if you're close then yes she might emulate the awesome parts of you and you know maybe some other stuff LOL.

• Like 1