How to Turn Down Ex's Invitation to Birthday Party?

Nirvana1986

Hey there!

I would like your opinion on a situation. My ex and I have been broken up for almost six months. We have had NC > LC > NC and now we went back to LC again, trying to keep it friendly. Our break up wasn’t necessarily very messy apart from the fact that she got a new partner very quick after we broke up. But there was no cheating, lying, nor calling each other names or any of that stuff. This is mainly why I am trying to stay friendly with her.

Anyway, like I said, our communication is very limited… once a week, the most. Last week she sent me a text asking me if I knew of someone that would want to adopt a cat she had just rescued. I replied jokingly that I would adopt if it wasn’t for my two big monsters already living at the house. She sent me a picture of her laying on the bed with the kitty so I could see the kitty, but how do I wish she had never sent me her picture. She looked beautiful. I quickly deleted the pictured after seeing it, of course didn’t say anything to her, but now I am back to dreaming of her. I have not dreamed of her for the past 2 months or so. Anyway, we still texted back and forth for a little bit and then she said “Oh, don’t forget my birthday party next Saturday at my house. I really really hope you can make it. It’s been too long”. I told her I wasn’t sure but I was going to let her know by mid next week (this week). She lives about 3 hours away, but she knows that’s not an issue with me. When we were together I was driving to her almost every weekend. I already know I am not going. I am not ready. I can’t go. I am not going to go to see her with her partner (as far as I know they are still together but I don’t know much details because I don’t ask and she doesn’t tell me). But also, it’s the second time she has invited me to town… last time was really easy to turn down because I had family in town so I couldn’t go anyway. I don’t really want to make up a BS excuse and have to lie to her, but at the same time, I know she has no idea I still have feelings for her. Anyway, I was thinking of maybe sending this text tomorrow and I would like to see your opinion on it… I know I am probably over thinking this, but your advice will be much appreciated!

“Hey A,

While I do appreciate you inviting me to your birthday party, I don’t think it’s a good idea for me. I am not quite ready for that just yet. I do want to wish you a very, very, Happy Birthday, and I hope you have a great day surrounded by your friends and loved ones.

L.

I would just tell her sorry, but you are busy that night. I wouldn't tell her that you are "not ready" - don't feed this woman's ego. But that's just me, i got too much pride perhaps.

I would wish her a happy birthday though and leave it at that.

it's funny/odd that the reason she wants you at her party is because it's 'been too long" (since you'd seen her presumably) - it's not like you are really going to spend any quality time with her (with all her friends etc around) so ....why....more ego feeding or game playing I'm suspecting

I might be wrong about this, but with ex's its never what it seems to be.

Sounds like she is ready for friendship and you aren't. My two cents.....I would word your response like this:

“Hey A,

Thanks for the invite. Sorry, I have to decline. Happy Birthday, have a great time.

L.

Short and sweet, too the point without revealing to her where you are at and thus giving her more power or feeding the power she has.

I agree with DN and HeartGoesOn that your message is fine as it is.

Apart from the fact that I'm a great believer in honesty, it might be good for her to realise that this is difficult for you, as she can then be perhaps a bit more sensitive. I've sort of been in her situation before when friends with an ex and I felt like a * * * * when I found out he still had feelings and I'd been expecting him to hang out with me and my new boyfriend and be fine about it.

Thanks everybody for your help!

I think I am going with DN, HeartGoesOn and Grace696 advice.

For the past five months, I have tried so hard to not feed her ego and now I feel like maybe I just need to try this approach and be honest (without giving too much details, of course). After this text, I am going to try to lower communication with her, maybe she will get the point and make it easier. But it's been really hard to maintain NC with her, I have blocked her number, but by the time my block request expires, she still reaches out. Thanks again everybody!

Dont say you are not ready...say you are busy/you cant show up,,thats much better

to me it sounds like she is still interested somehow

Thanks for your input! I still haven't sent her the text. I think I am going to wait until Friday afternoon to send her the text since the party isn't until Saturday anyway.

I really have no idea if she is still interested somehow, I usually try to push those thoughts out and say to myself that she couldn't be interested while she has a partner. It did leave me feeling uneasy after I got the picture she sent... The last time I saw her was when we broke up, close to six months ago, and seeing the picture made me feel like I had just seen her all over again.

Archived