Do you have to invite a sibling to your wedding?

rustyschackelf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Truu but I think it was because he was pressured rather than that he really wants to.

Yes I agree he shouldn't have been pressured but I thought the current issue was,given that he gave into the pressure to invite the sister does he need to invite her partner. I take your point about being concerned about their behavior but I would be concerned that her anger over her SO being excluded might cause even more problems at the reception. Again OP I am sorry about this situation.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation to you rusty. I've only just started planning our wedding and I'm torn on if I should invite my brother. I have the same feelings towards him as you do your sister. In my eyes he his the one that has wedged our family apart. The only difference is my mum is expecting me to invite him and his 4 yr old son. This is after I have told her straight away absolutely no kids.

I think you did the right thing posing the restrictions on your sister. Stand your ground with inviting her partner.

I hope it all works out for you, enjoy your day.

I'm in a similar situation to you rusty. I've only just started planning our wedding and I'm torn on if I should invite my brother. I have the same feelings towards him as you do your sister. In my eyes he his the one that has wedged our family apart. The only difference is my mum is expecting me to invite him and his 4 yr old son. This is after I have told her straight away absolutely no kids.

I think you did the right thing posing the restrictions on your sister. Stand your ground with inviting her partner.

I hope it all works out for you, enjoy your day.

My opinion is that if it's your day together, you and the person you marry are paying for it, then you decide who is invited and who isn't. If you and your brother don't get along then why should you have to pay for him to be at your wedding? And his son, well I personally wouldn't invite small children to my wedding either because while I don't hate them I just would prefer a more mature environment. It's your prerogative.

• 5 years later...
I am getting married this fall and today I had kind of an argument with my mom as to whether or not I should invite my younger sister. Now my sister and I have never gotten along, ever, we have a long history of fighting and animosity, plus I also consider her to be a degenerate. In the last few years you could probably count the number of words I've said to her on one hand and in all honesty I would be perfectly content if I never saw or talked to her again for the rest of my life. She is just someone who I want nothing to do with. Now I have no intention of inviting her, in fact I have made it clear that she is not invited; my mom however feels that I am required to invite her and has shown her displeasure with my decision, even hinted to me that she may not attend the wedding if I don't invite my sister (not that I think she would actually do that). But I feel that it is my wedding and I have the right to invite who I want and not invite who I want, and its nobody's place to tell me otherwise (other than my fiance). My future wife supports my decision. I also think that the favoritism that my parents have shown toward my sister, which I won't get into here, also has a great deal to do with this. But I'm just curious to see what other people think about this, and maybe if anybody has been in a similar situation and how you dealt with it. Thank you.

Hello:

I know how you feel. I have had that problem with my sister since I was a child, I never got along with my sister. I had the same issue with my mother where she never understood how I felt or what I have experienced with my relationship with my sister. I have battled this issue for a while and have come to believe that it is okay not to invite someone whom you have a history of animosity and fighting. People would say let it go but I think for your own personal well being you should be able to not invite her. What matters on that day is your happiness. You do not need to be worried of a potential work up when someone who is there has a way of causing fighting and animosity. One miserable word out of her mouth would destroy your day. It is okay to not invite her, I support you on that.

Archived