Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life of Mama Metro (metrogirl)

metrogirl

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Bella....You are a huge inspiration too!

Let me ask you gals a question. The scale seems to stay around the same number everyday, some days my tummy feels flatter and today it feels and looks bigger but the scale is still the same.

Can I just be bloated and the scale not change? I swear everytime I see my tummy in this bloated state, I think I have packed on some weight, but I haven't.

I get bloated like that all the time. I swear in the morning my stomach is flat but by 5pm I feel like my stomach is totally jetting out.

I think I bloat because I drink 64+oz of water a day and some foods might trigger it too.

The bloating doesn't change the number on the scale for me negatively- it just makes me feel yucky.

^ I agree. And -17lbs is also fantastic.

You essentially removed 17 sticks of butter off your body. You are doing a GREAT job!!!!!!

What kind of gigantic sticks of butter are you using, Bella?! I think the standard stick of butter is 4 oz, so Metro you've melted SIXTY EIGHT sticks of butter off that body. That's quite a lot of butter.

Metro, my stomach goes from flabbier-looking to taut-looking from day to day as well. A few things that I've figured out that affect it:

- if I don't eat regularly (for instance, go on very little food for most of the day and then have a big dinner or something), my stomach tends to distend and have that bloated look. I think I get gassy (sorry TMI) when I go hungry. Eating every 4-5 hours really helps.

- if I have a big ab work-out, my abs will tire out and my stomach relaxes

- fatty foods and alcohol

I agree with Bella about the food journal. A few years ago I was having a lot of problems with bloating and gas. I went to the docs and got an X-ray and I just had this ginormous gas bubble in my stomach. I kept a food journal and tried cutting some things but never really found much. Eating small, regular meals (I don't do the 6 small meals thing, but I'll have a breakfast, a mid-morning snack (piece of fruit type thing), lunch, an afternoon snack (fruit or nuts or string cheese or yogurt), and then dinner) is really what helps the most. Any time I go a long time without eating my tummy pooches out, and then if I stuff myself same thing.

By the way, can totally tell the difference in your face. You're looking wonderful!

You and Bella and Ren are inspiring me - went running yesterday and today and am going home this week-end to get myself away from this toxic college food environment (and to see my parents of course!)

LOL I just recall reading that a pound of fat takes up about as much space in the body as a stick of butter.

Really? That's crazy - our fat is super dense then. Kind of gross when you think about it actually!

I like to think of weight loss in terms of "people sizes" - like if you lost 17 lbs, that's about a 4 month old (right?), or if you lose 50, that's a 7-8 year old off of your back! A little crazy when you imagine the "person" of extra weight that you basically had strapped on.

HAHA...melting butter sticks and losing little people, that's such a funny way to look at it.

Well Thursday's workout did not go as planned. I had to run a few errands unexpectedly prior to the gym so I was getting there later than usual which made me cranky. Then after I lock everything up in my locker and walk to the machines, I noticed one of the rubber thingys was missing from my headphones. Grrrr.

I can't, simply can't workout with music. I have tried before, I have tried a few times and it doesn't work. I tried that day too but it just wasn't there so I left after 35 minutes. At least I got something in but I certaily didn't break a sweat.

Yesterday's workout was intense. I did 40 minutes on the ellipical varying levels from 1 to 5 on the crosstrainer program and then I worked mt abs pretty good. The only thing that hurts today though are my legs. So either I did too much on the elliptical or not enough on the abs. Hmmmmm

I did all my grocery shopping so thankfully no more yuck food. I have healthy stuff to pack all week, breakfast and lunch.

I made it to the gym yesterday even after no sleep the night before. I felt really good and had a great workout.

50 minutes of intense cardio and then I worked my abs for a while. I did notice I was getting checked out yesterday. LOL

Now if a red faced, sweaty hot female with a pony tail that resembles something two birds were fighting over is his type of woman, then woohoo.....

I'm going again today after work. There are some new things that I want to try, hopefully boost this weight loss effort of mine.

Today, I'm sad and teary and I suspect it has something to do with my ever erractic cycle looming.

I went to the gym yesterday, I was really really tired and my legs were hurting but I went because I am really trying to prove to myself that I can do this, that I can lose the weight and feel better physically, mentally, and spirtually.

I did 30 minutes of cardio and I worked my arms on the various machines. I think I was more interested in hitting the jaccuzi because honestly, I just wanted to soak my sore legs.

Took my mom to buy a lamp and had some dinner at Denny's. I opted for the chicken pecan salad with balsamic vinagarette dressing. Truth be told, I really wanted some Louisana fried chicken but I didn't go there.

So this morning, I decided to weigh myself and the scale suddenly has 2 extra lbs showing. Here I am thinking, with all this hard work I am doing, I should see the numbers drop, not rise. Sigh.....

I know the number itself shouldn't really matter, blah blah and if I am seeing the difference in my clothing then I am doing well. Okay, granted my bra fits me bigger and I think I can safely buy a size smaller and pants that I couldn't even zip up now fit around my waist comfortably but damn those stupid numbers on that !@#$%^ scale.

My daughter gave me some new gym pants and shirt for the gym. I love the pants and I had them on when I went to the boyfriends yesterday to drop off his laundry. I was showing him the pants and he say "wow, you look thinner". and yet the numbers won't go down, not even by 1 lb.

I just got back home from the gym. No one was there yesterday but today it was packed. I guess everyone that pigged out yesterday was in the gym today working it all off.

So I did 40 minutes of cardio and broke a good sweat and then did the captain's chair thingy that BellaDonna suggested. I was able to do 3 sets of 10 reps and I worked on an a torso rotating machine which is supposed to work the abs as well. I couldn't get on any other ab machines because there were simply too many people at the gym waiting for them.

It was an okay workout I guess. I have some heavy things weighing on my mind that I will probably have to post a thread about.

I have a question....

You know how you are supposed to rest body parts that you work on for a day?? What if your legs hurts because of all the cardio, do you not do cardio for a day to rest?

For me, I have to do cardio everytime I go to the gym. I just feel better doing it.

I have a question....

You know how you are supposed to rest body parts that you work on for a day?? What if your legs hurts because of all the cardio, do you not do cardio for a day to rest?

For me, I have to do cardio everytime I go to the gym. I just feel better doing it.

I usually rest my legs after doing cardio. My trainer says it is good to rest the body part that you worked out that day. For example, right now I swim on Mondays for about an hour, work out on Tues with my trainer for a 1/2 hour, have swim lessons on Wed for a 1/2 hr (but I also swim probably for about 15-20 minutes before the lesson begins), Thurs. I train again for 1/2 hr with my trainer, and Fri I usually will swim for about 1/2 hr (if I am up to it). I don't usually work out on the weekends.

I ran my schedule by my trainer and he says it is a good schedule since it allows me to rest my arms and legs between our workout sessions, and swimming is a low-impact sport. He says if you overwork your legs or arms or other body parts, you could hurt yourself.

I also do the stretches and exercises that he suggested I do each morning (those are pretty low-impact too).

I have a question....

I think it depends how much things hurt.

I never lift the same area two days in a row - so if I'm doing full body lifts I'll go every other day, or if I want to focus on an area every day I'll do arms one day, chest/back the next and legs the third, and then go ahead again.

It's rare that I get sore from cardio, unless I do something really intense (run a race or something) or unless I haven't worked out in a while.

If your legs hurt, but you want to do cardio, you can:

- swim - legs are only doing half the work

- figure out what muscle group is specifically hurting and do cardio that exercise a different muscle. For example, running will make my hamstrings sore, but then biking is really more about the quads, so if your hamstrings hurt you can do the bike. If your calves hurt - bike as well. Generally bike is good when you're sore!

Did that help at all? I'm not positive I understood your question correctly.

I took a day off from the gym yesterday, partly to rest my tired mind and body and partly because I just started my cycle and the 1st day or 2 are always killer.

I'm glad I didn't have my heart set on going yesterday because I ended up eating a greek chicken salad that made me sick sick sick.

So I took my mom, son, and grandson with me to Citadel outlets and I purchased my Amare Stoudemire jersey. Woohoo go Phoenix Suns............

I feel better today, so I will make it a point to go to the gym today. I need to crank up my cardio and I think I will work abs and arms today.

Why isn't there a pill that one could take and 'poof instant hot body'? sigh............

I'm sitting here at work thinking about how much I love this place and don't want to leave although I am likely getting displaced in July and will have to transfer to a different location.

Before coming to this location, I worked on the west side of town for 6 years. I liked it there very much, close to everything. I had a library right accross the street, endless places to eat, and a functional gym on the property.

I was looking online at the place I used to do my tanning at. To my surprise, they opened a new location just 1 block from where I used to work. So I suppose that is something else to look forward to.

Today is my Friday. It appears I will get to take both of my days off so I think I will plan something with the babies and give my daughter a break from the kids for a day.

I went to the gym yesterday and although I was anxious to work out, I don't feel like my workout was a great one. I did 30 minutes on that elliptical machine that I love, using a more intense workout on it but I didn't really break the sweat that I normally do. I was focused and relaxed, I know that much. I was listening to music but watching Bones on tv at the same time. I don't know, maybe I just wasn't really feeling it as much as I normally do.

I went downstairs and worked on the captain's chair for a bit. Don't feel particularly sore today. I will likely go again today, stay a bit longer since I don't have to get up early tomorrow.

Woooooooooooohooooooooooooooo

I just had the best workout! I was a nasty hot sweaty mess and I felt amazing!

I did 65 straight minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the bike. I would have done more bike but I couldn't get my mp3 to tune in clearly to the Celtics/Cavs game. The buzzing was driving me nuts. LOL

I also worked my rear end on the seated leg press. I would have done more exercising but the gym was packed and I needed to get home to take care of things here.

I'm thinking I will do a repeat tomorrow morning since I don't have to work.

*sings*

Go Metro, get that body, work your butt, get that body.

Archived