Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life of Mama Metro (metrogirl)

metrogirl

Good morning, ENA friends.

Today is a bit better, I was able to do some mickey mousing of the bed and made it do-able for me and I probably would have slept really well had the cat and dog not decided to wake me up in the middle of the night. I can't win for trying.

So yesterday I ran some errands that needed to get done and came home to clean the kitchen and watch the basketball game. Gooooooo Phoenix, is all I can say. That was an amazing game and look forward to them coming back to LA for another win.

My plans to hit the gym today were thwarted by my daughter when she casually reminded me that I had previously agreed to take Jade to her appointment today with the audiologist. Fair enough, we have waited for this appointment for a couple of months now and I have really hoping that this will be her final hearing test before they decide to operate on her ears. I figure the timing might be right because she will be out of school for the summer and that would give her time to heal and not miss school, assuming they can do the surgery soon.

If I am lucky, I will get to the gym tomorrow. I just found out this morning that I will likely be picking up an extra shift on Saturday. This is the time of year that I really start picking up the OT as it is the start of the fiscal year and all the employees get their vacation time. Everyone wants to start taking days off here and there and that leaves me to work work work. The money is always great but I have to manage my time accordingly so I don't wear myself out.

Ok, I'm done for now.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ LOL... always the sweetheart.

I wish I can say I have been sticking with it, well I was/am but it seems that life is throwing a bunch of curveballs my way making it impossible to get to the gym or even have a little time to myself to do some sort of exercise. Sigh

Yesterday it was a lengthy appointment at Children's Hospital. I took my daughter and granddaughter out to dinner and by the time we battled stupid Los Angeles traffic, I was pooped when I got home.

Today, I have to take my son to an appointment in downtown LA, so hooray, I get to fight traffic again.

I noticed my mood is different and I'm wanting to eat more because I haven't worked out in a week. This is no bueno.

I just need for everything to slow down just a bit so I can get back into my routine. I don't want to be supermom or supergrandma right now. I want to workout dammit.

Mama metro,

I can only imagine it must be hard to be juggling with everything you are doing right now, but remember you must make some time for yourself. You have been doing so well with the gym and I know that has brought you a lot of happiness. You need to stick to that. I know sometimes it gets really hard as we all get tired, but I know you want more of that good feeling after working out and the feeling you get when you are eating healthy.

I know what you mean about the traffic because on a really bad day it takes me an hour and 45 minutes to get home and I am only traveling 25 miles, however I work right next to LAX....so you can imagine how bad that is.

I love California but the traffic stinks...

Mama metro I know you have the force, and you need to stay strong no bad food! Promise me!

I'm working my day off today, making a little extra money. That is always a blessing.

Haven't been to the gym yet. I think I will just start fresh on Sunday. This whole week was pretty chaotic and I didn't have a whole lot of time to myself.

I did however, clean the hell out of my house yesterday so I did burn some calories. I cleaned the entire kitchen, laundry room, did laundry and gutted the living room. Moved furniture, swept and mopped and even made a nice dinner. I was Suzie homemaker at her finest. LOL

Today, I will just finish up the laundry and hopefully get some clothes put away. I want to clean out my pantry but don't know if I have the energy for that big of a task after yesterdays marathon cleaning.

Tomorrow, I may have to work a 12 hour shift. Not exactly looking forward to that but I will if I have to. Hoping JC Penney's optical department is open on Monday, the boyfriend is taking me to get prescription sunglasses. Actually I will be taking advantage of their special so I'm getting a pair of prescription eye glasses and well as the prescription sunglasses. Woohoo.

^^ Mama metro,

I am so glad that you are doing well and that you are planning on starting to go back to the gym! Come on lady hit those machines hard and fast LOL!

I actually cleaned this morning as well, however my place is not as big as yours I am sure. Since I live in my parents guest house, however I can't complain it is pretty big compared to some other places I have seen.

I swear to you as soon as I start to see a little mess it starts to drive me crazy. Pretty soon I am going to be having my carpet either replaced or cleaned. I want to make sure it is extra clean for when Gabriel comes home with me.

Woman! You are such a hard worker. Do you normally work weekends? Or is it something you do just for some extra cash?

Hooray for the new glasses, how exciting. I am sure they will be open heck it is memorial day and I am sure a lot of people want to shop. They might not be open all day but I am sure at least for a few hours they will be.

Soooo any plans for Memorial day? Besides working? Are you guys going to have a BBQ or something along those lines?

You are correct, no one could ever say that I didn't work hard.

I'm off on Fri-Sat, working today because the other girl called out. I don't mind as I do like making extra money. I won't lie, I get paid pretty good money to sit here and not do a whole lot. The weekends are usually very slow here.

I really wanted to work Monday, double time and a half here if you work the holidays but alas, the senior clerk wanted to work it so I'll be off with pay. That works for me too!

The boyfriend wants to come over on Monday and hang out with the grandbabies while I throw some meat on the grill. SHould be a good day.

^^ I always like it when people call in on the weekends because it means people can come in and work extra which means more money. Shoot before I got pregnant I took every opportunity to work extra when I could, right now since I am pregnant I am trying to rest as much as possible before little Gabriel arrives as I know when he is here I will have no rest.

Getting payed for holidays always rocks!! I know a lot of people who do not get paid for those days if they do not work. Shoot I used to hate it when I did not get payed on those holidays but that was some time ago.

Mondays sounds like fun, I am still not sure what I will be doing that day. It is my birthday but I have no idea what is going on. I know I will be seeing my best friend and I am looking forward to that, but that is about it.

Well working for a large company certainly has it's perks and the paid holidays are one of them.

Last year I worked on Christmas morning, the kiddos were waiting patiently for me to get off work at 2:00p so they could open their gifts. LOL All the other kids in the complex were outside with their new gifts and the grandbabies were sitting there waiting for my car to roll in. LOL Poor things.

But of course that extra money helped to pay off all those gifts.

If I don't talk to you before Monday, Happy Bday. You deserve to go out and have a spa day or something where you can just relax and enjoy life.

Well working for a large company certainly has it's perks and the paid holidays are one of them.

Last year I worked on Christmas morning, the kiddos were waiting patiently for me to get off work at 2:00p so they could open their gifts. LOL All the other kids in the complex were outside with their new gifts and the grandbabies were sitting there waiting for my car to roll in. LOL Poor things.

But of course that extra money helped to pay off all those gifts.

If I don't talk to you before Monday, Happy Bday. You deserve to go out and have a spa day or something where you can just relax and enjoy life.

Awww thank you. I am sure it will be a great day, heck I am thankful for the little one growing inside me

What I would give for some good sleep. My neighbors had a wild party last night, dj with a crazy loud sound system just bumpin' bumpin half the night. The bass from their music was causing my car alarm to go off at ungodly hours. Finally my son came downstairs and just unlocked my car so I wouldn't have to climb out of bed everytime it went off. I don't think it would have mattered if I left it, no one would have heard it with all that commotion anyway.

Work is relatively quiet today. I've been alternating between reading the news on the internet, cutting coupons, and just sitting her twiddeling my thumbs. LOL

If I am lucky enough to get out of here at 2:00p, my intention is to hit the gym. I really want to go and just unleash some pent up frustration that I have although there is a small chance that my 8 hour day here could easily turn into a 12-16 hour day if the other girl calls out. I have already decided if she does call out, I'm taking a time out from the office and get a catnap in the car for 30 or so minutes. That is the cool thing about this place, it can't function without one of us here and the supervisors and leadmen are more than willing to sit here and man the phones should we need to get out for a few minutes.

At least I don't have to work tomorrow, I can sleep in!

Wow, I made two journal entries in one day! LOL

So I made it to the gym but only did 35 minutes of cardio but...........

I went home and finally popped in the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd. Good God almighty, my body hurts. I admit, I couldn't keep up but I gave it a go. Maybe if I hadn't gone to the gym I could have put some more hhhmmmmpph into it.

My daughters boyfriend and I were doing it together and then the kiddos found a spot out of the way and started doing their modified version of it. My 7 year old grandson is having a blast with it. I'm done for the night. I am supposed to be going to Walmart but my legs feel like jello and there are parts of my body that hurt that I didn't know could hurt. I don't know whether to laugh at probably how ridiculous my big ass looked from the neighbors point of view (I had the front door wide open cuz it's hot) or cry because everything hurts.

I'm doing it again tomorrow.

You are very motivated. Gym and DVD in the same day!!!

A few different people have recommeded that same DVD to me. Does it require any equipment to do (i.e. like free weights, exercise bands, etc?)

Just a yoga mat and some hand weights.

She's a killer. I think she secretly works for the mob in their torture chambers.

My quads still hurt. Today is better but going up and down the stairs is killer.

I didn't go to the gym yesterday because I knew I couldn't handle the pain. It's not like an ordinary ache, these legs felt like someone sliced them up.

I have my Tiger Balm with me today, I am going to rub my legs down a bit and hopefully I can make it to the gym today, even if I only work on the bike for cardio and some ab machines. I think my legs need a 3 week vacation. LOL

I'm back to healthier eating too. I noticed that my eating habits took a dive when I was on that 2 week hiatus. So today, it was a slimfast for breakfast. Snack will be 1/4 cup cottage cheese and some cucumber slices. Lunch is a turkey burger patty, no bun with some whole pinto beans with chopped tomatoe and onion. I'm on some kind of bean kick lately. I love em'.

Good for you! Beans are one of my favorites too. They really make you feel full and are packed with protein and fiber. They are great replacements for side dishes or fillers in recipes if you are trying to cut carbs. I especially love making chili. A good chili made with lean meat with a side salad is so filling and tasty, and I don't end up feeling deprived. It's also so easy to make. I think I will make some this evening.

Tiger Balm

What's that? Should I get some?

Good for you! Beans are one of my favorites too. They really make you feel full and are packed with protein and fiber. They are great replacements for side dishes or fillers in recipes if you are trying to cut carbs. I especially love making chili. A good chili made with lean meat with a side salad is so filling and tasty, and I don't end up feeling deprived. It's also so easy to make. I think I will make some this evening.

What's that? Should I get some?

link removed

I just bought it yesterday. I wanted to see if it would help with the pain in my quads. It's okay but I really prefer

link removed

That is Kwan Loong oil. I live close to an area that is populated mostly by Chinese people and there are a few stores that sell it. By far the best product to use for muscle aches and pains.

Hey Metro, glad to see you were able to work out and that you are eating better.

That oil you posted about, I use it to clear out my sinuses on occasion.

They say it's good for migraines as well. If you dab some on your temples, it's supposed to help.

Ok I have a question. I did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd on Sunday and it killed my legs. Today, my legs are still hurting but I went to the gym and did 40 minutes of cardio but no intense like I usually do and then I worked on my abs. I want to try the video again today but am wondering if it is a good idea. My quads hurt to the point that going up and down the stairs in my house sucks.

I would have to do jumping jacks and squats if I do the video again and wondering if I should just suffer through the pain and go for it or wait a few more days? I just feel like I want more of a workout. No pain no gain......

what does that mean anyway? LOL

If I were you, I'd let the legs rest until they are not so sore, and focus on the upper body and core in the meantime.

If my legs are sore I try to do cardio that warms the muscles up but that does not further hurt them. For example, I won't do biking for cardio if my legs hurt, I'll do swimming instead, and then an upper body workout with weights.

If my arms are sore I'll bike for cardio or do the crosstrainer/stair climber.

You want to give the muscle some time to re-build. I will work a muscle group if it is a little bit sore, but not sore to the point of being very painful.

My quads hurt to the point that going up and down the stairs in my house sucks.

I would give them a break until you feel better.

If I were you, I'd let the legs rest until they are not so sore, and focus on the upper body and core in the meantime.

If my legs are sore I try to do cardio that warms the muscles up but that does not further hurt them. For example, I won't do biking for cardio if my legs hurt, I'll do swimming instead, and then an upper body workout with weights.

If my arms are sore I'll bike for cardio or do the crosstrainer/stair climber.

You want to give the muscle some time to re-build. I will work a muscle group if it is a little bit sore, but not sore to the point of being very painful.

I would give them a break until you feel better.

Thanks Bella....

I didn't do the video after all. As luck would have it, my daughter wanted to go shopping. So off we went to Kmart with the granddaughters in tow for a few hours of shopping for all the kids. It certainly would have been cheaper for me to stay home and exercise but it's all good. LOL

My legs feel much better today so I will intensify my cardio today at the gym. I worked on abs yesterday so today I will focus on arms. I think I need to get some weights at the house as I really want to get rid of my wings.

And I have healthy food again today... Mmmm

Archived