A Thread For Those Of Us Losing Weight

My little piece of advice for those who are trying to lose weight on this thread: enjoy food! A well-prepared meal that is eaten with friends and family and with good conversation is not something to be feared, regardless of how many calories are in it. I think there is a huge problem with feelings of guilt about food, and with obsessions with calories and nutrients and ratios of protein to fat and when the best times to eat are and how long one should wait between meals!

I've been the healthiest and the happiest when I have focused on making delicious, healthy meals, and focused on enjoying my meals and refused to feel guilty when I occasionally indulged. I know that for many who are trying to lose weight, a strict plan is necessary, but I also think it's important to remember that food is not the enemy!

whoever said not to go crazy every other week? nobody said be strict or it won't work. you DO have to watch it. you said it too. a meal here and there of course isn't bad. but let's not act like have a bad meal once a day. i eat like crap on the weekends usually. why? cause i do waaaay too good on the weekdays. i drink on weekends, get fast food late night, all that biz and still stay in shape.

but, even when i get crap food, i still try and get something chicken and somewhat sensible. i don't order a triple bacon cheeseburger and cheesecake at jack in the crack or anything.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whoever said not to go crazy every other week? nobody said be strict or it won't work. you DO have to watch it. you said it too. a meal here and there of course isn't bad. but let's not act like have a bad meal once a day. i eat like crap on the weekends usually. why? cause i do waaaay too good on the weekdays. i drink on weekends, get fast food late night, all that biz and still stay in shape.

but, even when i get crap food, i still try and get something chicken and somewhat sensible. i don't order a triple bacon cheeseburger and cheesecake at jack in the crack or anything.

It was more of a general observation about the way many people I know feel about food, not a criticism of anything that was said on here. And sort of an observation of our general American culture towards food compared with the way other cultures feel about food.

It was more of a general observation about the way many people I know feel about food, not a criticism of anything that was said on here. And sort of an observation of our general American culture towards food compared with the way other cultures feel about food.

the way you worded it though could be misleading to some.

The Atkins craze passed for a reason I find South Beach phase 2 is better than Atkins by far.

I was reading this crazy book this week "Raw Diet Detox". I've never seen someone make eating SO COMPLICATED! I swear, you will end up anorexic just following her advice lol.

DL - From what I remember you are already tiny and striving for a very tiny figure. Obviously you will need to be a lot more rigid than someone who just wants to be at a healthy range weight regardless of the size =)

DL - From what I remember you are already tiny and striving for a very tiny figure. Obviously you will need to be a lot more rigid than someone who just wants to be at a healthy range weight regardless of the size =)

I'm not that tiny anymore. I'm well within the bounds of a healthy weight at the moment. I actually weighed myself this morning and I was down a pound and a half from a week ago. I stopped doing cardio a week ago and this is the first time I've seen a downward trend in the past 2 months. My appetite has decreased dramatically too. I think I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing because it seems to be a better fit for me. I will still keep walking as much as I can, but no more cardio machines for me!

that's why they gain weight. you shouldn't eat until you are full. you should get your body used to eating more frequently (4-5 times a day) and smaller meals so you trick your body into being full constantly. also, watch the calories you are bringing in. 2 huge meals is worse than 5 small ones depending on the contents of course. but 2 huge meals and being full will train your body to store as much fat as possible.

This is my problem.....I starve myself all day and then eat one meal.

The only time I have been able to lose weight is to restrict my calories to about 600 a day.

I also don't work out....I just can't seem to get the motivation. I also don't believe it's ever helped me lose weight.

I don't get how people need to cut their calories that low to see some results. Sure, the results might be slower (1-2lbs/week) but you should be able to lose weight at 1200-1500 calories a day easily no?

Is that most people miscalculate calories / serving sizes? or they eat the wrong things?

I'm not targetting the people that have PCOS because they seem to be another boat, but generally healthy women.

I don't get how people need to cut their calories that low to see some results. Sure, the results might be slower (1-2lbs/week) but you should be able to lose weight at 1200-1500 calories a day easily no?

Is that most people miscalculate calories / serving sizes? or they eat the wrong things?

I'm not targetting the people that have PCOS because they seem to be another boat, but generally healthy women.

I don't know.....but it doesn't come off me unless I go that low.

I want to lose 20-25 to get back to the weight I was before I started college. Freshman Fifteen (plus some extra) I guess...

Gonna cut out some calories to stick to around 1800/day and exercise more (joined a gym again and try and walk as much as possible), as my weight gain was from eating more + exercising less. Seems to work as I have lost a few pounds already. It's going very slowly and can be hard work, but I want to make lifestyle changes and keep the weight off for good, so slow and steady is what it's going to be

I used to be 125 pounds and was much more comfortable at that weight. Went hiking last year with the added weight and my knees didn't like it at all! So I want to lose weight both to look better and to allow me to do what I want to do with my body without worrying about it not playing ball (I'm only in my early 30s).

First, thanks for this thread!!

I've always gone up and down in my weight and I'm about 6 lbs. away from where I feel like I'm hot sh**. Even at that weight, though I'm not within my BMI limits, am still considered "overweight"...at the same time, it's been my lowest adult weight and I feel great there, wear a size 10 and feel great in my clothes, etc.

So, my wedding is August 1st and I've been doing Atkins-esque dieting plus cooking something healthy every night for about a month now. Between my workouts and exercise I've seen great results and am 6 lbs away from feeling SMOKIN HOT! hee hee

Right now I'm on summer vacation (I'm a teacher) so I've had all the time in the world to dedicate to this and I'm worried that when school starts again, I won't know how to maintain my progress (my life-long issue). That's when I'll REALLY need this thread and all the support I can get!!!

Best wishes to all of us!!!

PS A funny story for all of us who have always struggled with food----I have a girlfriend who is thin and has not gained or lost a pound since we met 15 years ago. I asked her one day how she stays so skinny and she said, nonchallantly, "I just don't eat when I'm not hungry"....I was like, "hmmmm....I never thought of that"

Just goes to show how some people have SUCH different relationships with food.

the last pounds to come off are the worst.....

yea, that's true too. In my case, it has been pretty slow from the beginning. It took me quite a while to lose the first 5 pounds as well...it wasn't like this before : [

I am starting back at the gym tomorrow, I haven't been for about 3 months and have been a bit naughty with what I eat in that time too.

The best thing I did was go out and buy a food steamer, cooking fish, potatoes and veg all in one stack of pans, and then I have been adding a sauce of low fat creme fraiche heated and seasoned with pepper, parsley/dill and lemon when I plate up, the sauce is only 70 calories per portion and makes the meal so much tastier.

I want to lose about 20lbs. When I'm back at the gym, my main focus will be on fat burning, can anyone advise on the best equipment to use? I used to do about 20 mins on the cross trainer or treadmill (brisk walk) then 20 mins on the weights, and then about 20 mins swimming. I'm just not sure if I should be concentrating anymore in one area.

Thanks!

I'd like to lose 8 more pounds..but i stepped on the scale today and i weigh 3-4 more pounds than usual : (. It seems to go up and down a lot. I've heard that it's a common thing, but it always makes me feel worst..

I'm not really following a specific diet - i guess i'm just trying to eat balanced meals through out the day. I try to limit my sugar intake as much as a i can, and i don't eat a lot of junk food anymore.

Archived