Is getting married at the courthouse first and then having an actual ceremony like a year to even 3 years later a tacky idea? We would like to celebrate with our friends and family at some point.

My mom will be paying for the ceremony, but asked for a little bit of time to save up. She wants me to have a nice ceremony which would be ideal.

What's the process of courthouse weddings anyways?

Yes, I think it is tacky. What is the point of having a big splashy wedding long after you have been legally married. There is no need to have a big wedding if you can't afford it. You have to live within your means. You can have a simple and small wedding that won't break the bank. No need for the huge Cinderella at the ball, let's show off to all my friends and family what kind of elaborate affair I can throw, wedding bash. The important thing is the marriage itself, not the big party.

I would not have the ceremony years after the actual marriage. If you want to have the big ceremony, why not just wait until you can afford it to get married. Is it really important to get married right now? You can always renew your vows at 5 years or something and have a ceremony then, but even 5 years might be a short time for that

i would call it a 3 year anniversary party, and not register for gifts.

you could also just do something very low key in town. i went to a wedding reception this weekend. the couple got married in the virgin islands. they came back and threw an afternoon party at a restaurant. their friends were the photographers, they had some snacks, and me and some other were dancing for them at their reception (that was their request - no presents, just your precence!) i thought that was cute. of course, people got them stuff anyways.

what i'm saying is that you can do something fun and on the cheap. you can just rent a restaurant for the afternoon and invite all of your friends and just have fun and dance and have some cake. that shouldn't break the bank, and will still be fun. you can do a really glitzy anniversary party at some point in the future, i know some couples who do that, or they renew their vows.

I would not have the ceremony years after the actual marriage. If you want to have the big ceremony, why not just wait until you can afford it to get married. Is it really important to get married right now? You can always renew your vows at 5 years or something and have a ceremony then, but even 5 years might be a short time for that

Well there are other reasons, but we live together and have both been receiving a lot of criticism from our church for doing so. We would like to have that under our belt so they would stop giving us crap. That is probably the most important reason for us wanting to get married soon.

Well there are other reasons, but we live together and have both been receiving a lot of criticism from our church for doing so. We would like to have that under our belt so they would stop giving us crap. That is probably the most important reason for us wanting to get married soon.

don't feel obligated to get married because people from church are giving you crap about it. they can mind their own business.

I have heard of people getting married and then having a party a month or two later..but months and years later, no, I think that is still tacky.

Yeah agreed. I would find it a bit odd. You're only 20 - why don't you just put off the wedding for a while longer while the money is saved up? Have a longer engagement. Lots of people postpone their weddings a year/ couple of years in order to save up some money.

Yeah agreed. I would find it a bit odd. You're only 20 - why don't you just put off the wedding for a while longer while the money is saved up? Have a longer engagement. Lots of people postpone their weddings a year/ couple of years in order to save up some money.

Ya this is true...we just feel obligated because of our church. They are threatening to kick us out of ministries and stuff. It's getting ridiculous.

Sounds to me like you need to find another church rather than rush into a wedding. There are plenty of churches that will accept you regardless of your living situation. Heck, my husband and I married in the catholic church and our priest knew we had lived together for 6 years beforehand. He said it wasn't his place to tell us what to do, we were both consenting adults.

I would definetly not call it a wedding ceremony 3 years later. It would be tacky to me as well but if you do want to throw a nice party, I'd to it more towards your continued commitment rather than "oh look, i got married 3 years ago, now give me gifts and look at me like a princess". It's mostly how it's going to come off to most people I think.

Of course, it's your choice but I would wait to do it one time and properly.

Archived