I am your age and me and my BF are planning to marry 1-2 years from now. We want to have a private ceremony (just me, him and the person marrying us) for reasons that are actually NOT financial. We both feel very strongly that the ceremony should be for us and no one else. However, afterwards we are thinking of throwing a celebration for family/friends. So basically a "public" reception without a "public" wedding. You can throw a party fairly cheaply, too. Just hold it outdoors in a public place if you need to...or in someone's home/backyard. It doesn't have to be expensive. I would try to hold this "bash" sometime around your marriage though...I think it is a bit tacky to wait. Good luck!

You know what? It's unusual but if thats how you guys want to do it - don't let anyone tell you it's tacky. The people who love and care for you will not think it's tacky.

A wedding is there to symbolise and celebrate a lifelong commitment to each other. Who cares when you do it. It's there to give you great memories and give you a chance of have your day celebrated with friends.

If you two are happy with that idea - you go ahead and do it. Your day will be filled with joy.

Good luck to you!!

I think you should do a vow renewal ceremony. Those can be very wedding-like and often happen years after the actual wedding. In fact, it would be weird to do it too close to the date of the actual wedding so waiting a few years would actually be ideal for a renewal ceremony. Sure, some people wait many many years, but I personally don't see a problem doing it after three years. Or maybe, better yet, wait for a few more years until you and your husband might be able to afford the type of ceremony that you want and then have it then.

Archived