Baby talk

Guymandude97

The reason I'm posting this message is because I'm finding myself really getting over my gf's "baby talk".

I work with kids during the day (I'm a music tutor) and when I come home I really want to connect with her as an adult.

She has the habit of seeming to regress to an infantile age when she starts talking to me. Talking like a four year old. "I waaaas miiiiissssing yoooooooouuuuu! Doo yooooooooou looooove meeeeeeee?" Really elongating words in a very high voice. It's really embarrassing.

It seems I played along for a long time, but now it's just unbearable. I can't believe I played along before. It seems to be a way of communicating which it's time we grew out of (no pun intended).

Anyone else have this thing going on?

Lol, I'm sorry but I find this amusing.

Only because I know what you mean. While I don't find my baby talk totally revolting, on the times where I'm just not in the mood, or the time is inappropriate, or it's just NOT working, I feel really annoyed too.

Why don't you try talking to her? Or humour her for a bit with the baby talk and try to steer her away from it?? I mean, your whole conversation won't be baby talk, so suck it up for a bit. If it REALLY pisses you off, tell her honestly: while you love the way she loves you, its starting to remind you of the kids you tutor, so if she could lay off it for a while, you'll be much more willing to jump her bones.

Lol, it's very ironic that you work with kids and she talks like that. I agree, I think you should tell her. Try not to say something like, you're so annoying stop talking like that, just tell her that you don't really like it when she talks like that and you would like her to stop. I hate it when people talk like babies also.

LOL! Great thread!

My GF does the same thing but she does not prolong the words. I actually love it when she talks in that voice. I do see how it can be annoying and or embarrassing though if she does it in public. (my GF only does it when it is just the two of us or the two of us and one of HER close friends) She does not do this in front of my friends.

I think the best thing you can do is to confront her and tell her that her "baby talk" is no longer appealing to you and you would like her to stop. There really is no easy way to tell her other then just flat out "its annoying".

Good luck with this one. Please let us know how the "talk" goes.

Since she has been doing it so long, she probably has no idea that it bothers you. And that means she will probably do it forever.. or until she becomes annoyed of it herself.

The best thing to do is just be honest. That's what you have to do in a relationship. What else can you do besides put up with it?

Obviously there are nice ways to do it and rude ways. Just be sensitive to her because chances are she probably will get kind of hurt. But she will get over it!

Lol I'm glad this thread has evoked some smiles. I'm finding it quite funny myself now so I think when we do have this talk now it will be more light hearted. She's a great girl and as a previous poster said she probably has no idea it's annoying me. She's probably not even aware she's doing it haha

I will be sure to post the results of this talk here.

Good luck with talking to her! You could try saying something like, "Your normal voice is so much sexier" (instead of only telling her how much you hate her baby voice... add something positive to balance out the negative).

I have a friend whose girlfriend speaks like that to him all the time... all of his friends think she is incredibly annoying. I don't think he cares though.

Good luck with talking to her! You could try saying something like, "Your normal voice is so much sexier" (instead of only telling her how much you hate her baby voice... add something positive to balance out the negative).

I have a friend whose girlfriend speaks like that to him all the time... all of his friends think she is incredibly annoying. I don't think he cares though.

Yes this is a good tip! It is actually true too that I find her normal voice very sexy.

Wow, that would annoy me. I would hate someone talking baby talk to me...in fact, I would get very irritated just hearing a grown woman or man talk to their partner that way. I will use that voice on my dog...and when I do, his tail wags a mile a minute..but I would never use that voice on an adult.

Hehe

My ex knew that I hated baby talk and would literally lay it on thick when she was teasing me or intentionally trying to get a rise out of me. I always counteracted it by saying the most horrid revolting things that came to mind. They usually offset one another and left us both laughing and feeling uncomfortable at the same time. hehe

Oh...there's nothing more annoying. I know a woman who's in her late fifties who does this...ugh. Everytime she talks to her husband it's " baby waby needs some viniginiwiger (viniger) fo hu fwencie fwies. HMmm mookie wookie?? It's embarrassing to watch. She does this around other people! I just think he must be so embarrassed (or maybe he likes it???)

I think you need to tell her, otherwise you'll end up with someone like mookie wookie's wife.

The reason I'm posting this message is because I'm finding myself really getting over my gf's "baby talk".

I work with kids during the day (I'm a music tutor) and when I come home I really want to connect with her as an adult.

She has the habit of seeming to regress to an infantile age when she starts talking to me. Talking like a four year old. "I waaaas miiiiissssing yoooooooouuuuu! Doo yooooooooou looooove meeeeeeee?" Really elongating words in a very high voice. It's really embarrassing.

It seems I played along for a long time, but now it's just unbearable. I can't believe I played along before. It seems to be a way of communicating which it's time we grew out of (no pun intended).

Anyone else have this thing going on?

Buy a baby soother and when she does it again - present it to her with a big pink bow.

Um nooooo... I agree, a total turnoff unless you're talking to a baby or a pet.

You could just tell her you listen to it all day with the kids and it grates on your nerves by the time you get home. Not criticizing her directly, but letting her know you're all babied out and ready for some adult talk when you see her.

Better for her to sound like a baby than an old man LOL

But seriously, baby talk is pretty annoying. Anyone who does it with me, I look at them blankly for about 3-5 seconds, then I turn away, changing the topic. They never do it again. Give them the death stare!!

Archived