How many of you make over 100K and *hate* your jobs?

kd425

I've been in software/IT for almost 20 years, had an 8 year stint at Microsoft, and currently do database dev for a major company... I get 5 weeks of vacation a year, and I'm charge of very important project that other companies want.... and people admire what I do...

but....

I *HATE* what I do for a living.

This is never what I wanted to be when I grew up. It was just a fall back plan in case an idea I had 15 years ago didn't pan out (it didn't).

Now I own a house in a major west coast city, have a mortage, own two cars (both paid off), am about to buy a boat....

But I fricken *HATE* what I do for a living.

Life is too short.

The funny thing is, I know a lot of people that do what I do hate it too... most stick it out because they have kids. I don't. No wife either (I've had a couple, but it didn't last -- they both wanted kids before I felt ready).

The only reason I've stuck it out is that it feels responsible... sometimes I just want to say *** being responsible...

I don't think salary has much to do with it. I know people who make under 100k and hate their jobs, people who make well over 100k and love, like or are satisfied with their jobs.

It depends on the job requirements and the particular company because in some companies, 100k is on the lower end and thereforeee the expectations are not too onerous, while in others it might be at the top of the pay scale and might come with significant responsibilities and stressful deadlines. I also don't think there should be any presumption that more money means doing a boring, stressful or unethical job.

For example, a part time dermatologist can make well over 100k, while a telemarketer without a college degree, working on commission, might have to work many hours and be on adrenaline 24/7 to clear 100k in commissions.

Couple thoughts:

Instead of buying your boat, use the money and a home equity loan against your house to start your own business. Perhaps a small consulting firm(I'm sure you've collected a nice Rolodex of contacts and clients that respect your work over the years) that does database dev work or a franchise. Take a short break from what you're doing and try to go at it alone in something you think you'd enjoy and would be good at. Take however long you need before making the switch, but use the time you take to write out your business plan, secure loans, and other planning activities to save up your next egg for when you make the switch. And when you do go at it, go in 100%. Network with a local entrepreneur group and try to get your foot on an idea or franchise opportunity that sounds appealing. You will always have your experience to fall back on and you aren't tied down so why not?

I can't tell by your post if you are in consulting and what kind of industry you are in, but it sounds like you are either a consultant or an independent contractor of sorts.

Maybe use your knowledge to get into a different area or industry of IT. If you work for a company perhaps it is time to spice things up by trying out consulting. If you are a consultant than maybe it is time to get into a different area of consulting. Focus more on IT strategy, management, etc. As a db dev, perhaps sink your teeth into datawarehousing. It is much more business oriented and requires true mastery of the companies data and functional aspects in combination with a good technical understanding which you no doubt already have.

If you have been focused in one industry perhaps switch to a different industry and that might give you a bit of fresh air.

Just some thoughts.

And just as a side note I am in the same position, but I'm using the high income to slowly shift my assets into business ventures and investments that will allow me to "jump" ship if need be one day. I can't see myself doing this forever to despite the fact that I do find it challenging and exciting at times.

I don't think salary has much to do with it. I know people who make under 100k and hate their jobs, people who make well over 100k and love, like or are satisfied with their jobs.

Sorry, I didn't make that part of my point well at all. The only reason why the salary matters, is that none of the things I think I'd enjoy doing instead pay anything close to that.... so it makes it hard for me to seriously consider chaning careers. I tended bar in college, I think that would be fun as hell to do again, I also think it would be fun as hell to make boats (I took a couple of boat building classes while on a break from work).

I think I'm too influenced by the women I date... they all want to be with guys that earn bank... and in turn it makes me think that is important.

You could save up money, then quit in a couple of years to do a job you actually like. Or save up money and go on a fishing expedition in the Pacific for a year. Or go to Europe. Something like that. Because you're right, life IS too short... most people do a job they hate in order to get by. But it sounds like you are doing more than well, and could support yourself in a less high-paying job well enough, if you save up the money.

Couple thoughts:

Instead of buying your boat, use the money and a home equity loan against your house to start your own business. Perhaps a small consulting firm(I'm sure you've collected a nice Rolodex of contacts and clients that respect your work over the years) that does database dev work or a franchise.

Nothing in IT interests me at all. No, btw, I'm not in consultaing. I was regular emp at MSFT and am a regular emp at the company I'm at now. Regardless, I bored to death of writing code and managing project schedules and anything and everything IT related.

I'd be happier tending bar and teaching climbing and building boats... well, except I'd have no money.

Nothing in IT interests me at all. No, btw, I'm not in consultaing. I was regular emp at MSFT and am a regular emp at the company I'm at now. Regardless, I bored to death of writing code and managing project schedules and anything and everything IT related.

I'd be happier tending bar and teaching climbing and building boats... well, except I'd have no money.

Well then go with my first idea. Start looking at ways to make your money work for you or find something you love doing and do whatever you possibly can to form a business out of it with the capital you've earned over the last 20 years.

Like you. I'm out of IT at 40. Great motivation to get passive income and savings in order

Yes, it can be a trap. You up your standard of living then get trapped into the higher mortgage payments, bills, etc.

So make a plan! Bank as much money as you can while exploring what you can do for the 2nd half of your life. Quit buying 'toys' and start saving money, and you can start a business, or pay down a nice house to the point you can get a lower paying job.

Don't buy that boat, buy a new future doing what you want!

The biggest mistake people make is with every raise they raise their standard of living. With this economy it is really shaky to keep going into more debt. I have had VP's lose their jobs due to a downsizing and it took some of them almost a year to find another job. If you get raises and keep your threshold of bills the same and save that money you will be much better off.

It's normal. I have always expected little from my job other than pay. I work and I get paid. I am good at what I do, but I have never burdened my work with expectations of fulfillmement. Instead, I see it as a job, and seek fulfillment elsewhere. Works well enough for me.

Well sounds like you are in a great position to have a crack at doing something you really want to do.

i agree. read the book, 'i can do anything i want, if only i knew what it was' by barbara sher. it helps you figure out what your real purpose in life is. it's never too late to do what you love. go for it!

I love what I do, but if it didn't pay the bills I'd quit. Survival in this world is job one. Find something that you enjoy that supports your lifestyle. Problem solved. Homelessness and hunger are even worse than a job you hate. You can't leave those at the end of the day, can you?

hey... look at it this way... i dont make over 100k and i hate my job...

the only reason i am still doing it is to pay my bills and get me off uni...

at least you got 100k...

maybe if you are not spending so much you can find something that you really like to do... and may probably in the end you make twice as much...

think about it..

First, you're not abnormal. Many folks like that in this world. I make an absolute killing for my age. Is this my dream job? No, but it is good. What did I do? I formulated an exit strategy - I have a 5 year and a 10 year plan, and no, I'm not the old dude with saggy balls from Big Daddy.

I volunteer in my free time, and I take classes part time at night to switch into doing what I love. I'm always networking, and I plow over 75% of current net income into investments. I still live like I am a freshman in college without any money, spare the nice suits, shirts, and shoes for work. Colleagues my age drive luxury cars, sports cars, own big screen televisions, rent luxury apartments, etc. I don't have any of that, but trust me, I'd like to. Discipline & patience. My investments will allow me to do ridiculous things in 5 to 10 years.

Furthermore, I will be able to pursue my passions without having an issue of money down the road. I can start business ventures, I can pursue work which I enjoy but pays less, etc. In essense, I am setting my life up with options. Plus, when I marry and have kids, I do not want to be the guy who works nonstop. I want to be able to spend time with my family, and have the money to enjoy a quality life and give them the best I can.

You're in a good position to be making that kind of money and not have a wife or kids. I'd start coming up with a plan if I were you. Forget the boat, cars, etc. Start plowing your money into investments to obtain some leverage and work towards a career change on the side. These goals should fuel you to work hard in the meantime as you have an end result, whatever that is to you. My colleagues can't fathom why I work so hard at my job, but it's because I have an exit strategy and my hard work here is temporary - my colleagues think why do I work so hard when I have my whole life here. Sorry fellas, I'm way ahead of that. By the time I hit 30, I will be cruising in life.

i hate my current job, doesnt even pay enough to buy milk, but I love IT, i really wish to land in a 100k job smeday.

I know i am smart, but my luck and fate is useless, it always pulls me down or never gives me a second interview. I hate my life. When i land in a 100k job, i'd invest, and get involved into community, go around the world....

Go for it. Plan for what you love.

No kids? Seriously. All you do is weigh whether this lifestyle and toys you are getting is worth the trade off. Is it?

It wouldn't be for me but then again I don't live a lavish lifestyle and don't really have a desire for it. So I do a job that isn't huge paying but lets me live a good life and do what I love.

If you honestly think you need two cars, blah blah blah, and value that material stuff more than your Time and Life outside of work too, then staying would make sense. Just take up drinking to dull the boredom. j/k.

As far as women go, maybe you need to start dating a different class of women. I'm not talking socially/economically necessarily - but that they'd care so much about your toys and what you can provide for them in the way of entertainment and stuff.

Archived