Losing Friends to World of WarCraft aka WOW

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with everything you said 100%!! The sad part is a lot of these people that are friends that are soooo addicted to this game are a lot of the same girls that I went shopping with that were no way shape or form your stereotypical normal video gaming person.

Edit: I don't mean that every video gamer is this dorky nerd or anything, but I mean these were girls that were very girly like me that had no interest in video games what so ever and the BAM.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that one can't be both "girly" and into videogames at the same time. Or really, that one can't be "normal" and a gamer at the same time. I think that's fairly narrow-minded and just wrong.

Millions of people play WoW every day, and I have a hard time believing that they're all introverted super-nerds. And even if they are, so what? Nerds need love too.

Also, I think it's funny that you used "shopping" as the apotheosis of normalcy. Shopping is every bit as addictive and destructive in large doses as catassing on WoW all day.

WOW on it's own is fine, but when people neglect their real lives, away from the computer, to do their meetings and dungeons and whatever, that's what frustrates me too. Sometimes it takes hours and hours for my bf to finish the dungeon fight, whatever it is, and yes, I do get ticked off about it sometimes, though not outwardly. He's not too bad, but there have been days when I come home at 5 PM and he's not dressed or showered, playing WOW. I'm glad he still knows that he has a real life, and he's not obessed with it, but I have seen other people lose their jobs and their significant others over this game, because they can't control themselves. The thing about it is, it's not real life! Go outside, take a walk, turn off the computer for a day or two and then come back to it.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that one can't be both "girly" and into videogames at the same time. Or really, that one can't be "normal" and a gamer at the same time. I think that's fairly narrow-minded and just wrong.

Millions of people play WoW every day, and I have a hard time believing that they're all introverted super-nerds. And even if they are, so what? Nerds need love too.

Also, I think it's funny that you used "shopping" as the apotheosis of normalcy. Shopping is every bit as addictive and destructive in large doses as catassing on WoW all day.

The main reason why I put the edit in there was to save a post like this. I know that there are tons of video gamers that are girly and love to shop and do things like those who do not play video games. What I was trying to state was these are the type of girls that you really would have never thought of ever playing video games let alone getting addicted to them. And I used shopping as something that me and these girls used to do earlier to do a previous poster had mentioned it.

Okay can we get back on topic for those who have lost friends to this game and not attacking me for my opinion of it. That is not why I posted this thread. I was just wondering if anyone else was going through the same situations as me due to this game. I have had friends play video games before but this one seems to be slightly more addictive.

So please refrain from attacking me or anyone else.

WOW on it's own is fine, but when people neglect their real lives, away from the computer, to do their meetings and dungeons and whatever, that's what frustrates me too. Sometimes it takes hours and hours for my bf to finish the dungeon fight, whatever it is, and yes, I do get ticked off about it sometimes, though not outwardly. He's not too bad, but there have been days when I come home at 5 PM and he's not dressed or showered, playing WOW. I'm glad he still knows that he has a real life, and he's not obessed with it, but I have seen other people lose their jobs and their significant others over this game, because they can't control themselves. The thing about it is, it's not real life! Go outside, take a walk, turn off the computer for a day or two and then come back to it.

THANK YOU! That is all I am really trying to state about my friends in this. And it is not all of them, just a select few.

Well, you wouldn't exactly expect some middle-aged woman to get hooked into a video game, but I am.

Have you considered this aspect as to why your friends have gotten hooked into the game...while there are plenty of females who play, there are far more males. I'd guess I'm a good 10-20 years older than the average player in this game. There are A LOT of late teen to mid-20's guys and far fewer females in that age range. You could definitely get a sort of "Queen Bee" kinda thing going if you were a gal in that age range. Game itself aside, do you think that could also be a contributing factor?

Well, you wouldn't exactly expect some middle-aged woman to get hooked into a video game, but I am.

Have you considered this aspect as to why your friends have gotten hooked into the game...while there are plenty of females who play, there are far more males. I'd guess I'm a good 10-20 years older than the average player in this game. There are A LOT of late teen to mid-20's guys and far fewer females in that age range. You could definitely get a sort of "Queen Bee" kinda thing going if you were a gal in that age range. Game itself aside, do you think that could also be a contributing factor?

Well like I said I don't exactly know the ligistics of the game, but I do know one of my friends is a guild president or something and runs a lot of stuff. I can see what you are saying and see as well how this would have a major contribution. And you are correct, you are a definite exception to the stereotypical video gamer!

The woman i referred to in my previous post is 35, and she is hooked to the point of detriment like the OP referred to. It is on the brink of causing her a divorce. Her husband is that close to calling it quits and it is all because of this game. She is not a tekkie nerd nor was she even into gaming before she was introduced to this one, so stereotypes really don't always apply for sure. She was a very active outdoorsy type too, which makes this all the more strange. She just has negelected all of those things she used to love. I am glad she does not have kids but she does have dogs, and she USED to really be into them. Now her husband is their sole care giver.

So yep, even girly girls and older gals can fall prey.

I have played WoW(Still have an account but haven't felt like playing the past few months), and everquest before that. Have had times where i played more than usual but it never stoped me from having a social life at all. Playing 2 hours here and there is no different than watching a movie or something.

There are people addicted to video games, others to the tv, some to drugs, etc. It's not WoW that's a problem in itself, it's people that can't do things with moderation.

I have played WoW(Still have an account but haven't felt like playing the past few months), and everquest before that. Have had times where i played more than usual but it never stoped me from having a social life at all. Playing 2 hours here and there is no different than watching a movie or something.

There are people addicted to video games, others to the tv, some to drugs, etc. It's not WoW that's a problem in itself, it's people that can't do things with moderation.

Oh yes I do agree with everything you said. My thing is I have never had so many friends addicted to one game like this one. I think for right now it is the new fad or something, but who knows? I think everyone has made good points though.

And btw, my ex played everquest too and now WoW, and she is a very girly girl. I also knew a germam girl on Everquest who was a model. So not all girls that play games are the geeky type, and same for guys. And most people i met RL from such games were great people too.

And btw, my ex played everquest too and now WoW, and she is a very girly girl. I also knew a germam girl on Everquest who was a model. So not all girls that play games are the geeky type, and same for guys. And most people i met RL from such games were great people too.

Never said they had to be geeky or anything of the sort, it was just miscommunicated.

I've been addicted to mmorpgs before... everything from EQ to WoW. I did lose a couple RL friends because of the games. I look back on it and hate myself for that BUT when it's an addiction it's hard to control. The game is on your mind ALL the time. If you're not in game you wonder what is going on without you, what your missing or losing out on. These games are designed to be time sinks. WoW isn't nearly as bad of a time sink but I did spend 3 to 4 hour on raids as compared to 6 ++++ hours in EQ.

The problem with MMO's is that you form real emotional bonds with your guild and friends you game with. You rely on them and they rely on you from everything to crafting armor and weapons to keeping you alive in battle. It is a living breathing world. You play even if your bored, you play if your having fun, you play just to play.

Ahhh This reminds me of that one episode of The Tyra Banks Show where a guest asks tyra for help because her fiance was addicted to the game. The really funny part happens when Tyra forces the fiance to shred his WoW cds. She obvoiusly did not do her homework and did not know that YOU DON'T NEED THE CDs TO PLAY THE GAME.

You can read about this on this article

link removed

Anyhow I do agree with how the author states, "World of Warcraft is not some evil pawn of Satan to destroy families and take daddies away from their baby girls [or friendships]"

Anyhow to get back on the topic I also have seen friendships die and relationships get into trouble due to addictions not with just WoW but with addictions in general. It's sad I know, and all I think we can do is talk to them about the addiction. Give them our concerns and our worries but in the end, its up to the individual themselves to make the choice and act upon the addiction.

Personally my brother has developed an addiction to the game. Fortunately it hasn't developed into anything hazardous such as calling in sick for work to play, or ditching friends to play but it has taken a toll on his health. Ever since WoW came, he's gained alot of weight and barely participates in exercise.

I've had a few serious talks with him about it but that's all I can do for him. He has to make the choice.

I have two brothers that play computer games ALL DAY. It's not World of War Craft though. I don't know what game it is, but it's extremely annoying.

My youngest brother is so addicted to his stupid computer that he will not leave it unless he has to eat, poop, go to work, take a shower, etc..(basically just the necessities) If I want to talk to him, I am greeted with anger. He acts like I am being rude by saying "hi." It has gotten so bad, that he is 18 now and has not even tried to get his driver's license yet. The game is more important to him. This is going to sound really nasty, but the our dog pooped in his room and instead of cleaning it up, he sat in there in his little fantasy world. I tried to get him to clean it up by trying to turn off his computer. BIG MISTAKE! He tried to choke me! Can you believe it? I think these computer games do make people a little psycho!

I like video games... (not Warcraft or other online games, yuk) but there is a limit. I get bored sitting there ALL DAY playing games, while life is just passing me by. Maybe I'm too sociable and restless to sit there all day, every day, wasting my life. I don't know.

I don't understand how people can get addicted to such a thing. I think it's sad. There is a whole world of real live, living, breathing, organic human beings out there... yet so many people forget that and just live in their own little, cyber world. Bah. It just seems so selfish of some to forego the real world in order to squander all their time on such a thing. Might as well become hermits.

Ahh, but it's an addiction... some may say. True. But so is cigarette smoking, and people quit that cold turkey every day. Excuses, excuses. People can justify anything.

my ex finacee now has on online gf so that he never has to leave his chair...

its pathetic...

I cant believe people are stupid enough to let their real life relationships degrade for it

GO OUTSIDE!! take a walk, read a book... get a life! -shakes head-

I know I am getting in on this way too late... But I have seen WOW cause a lot of problems for people. A married couple I kind of know (they are friends of friends) got divorced because of it. And people have lost their jobs over this game.

And EverQuest is just as bad.

I have friends who play RPGs and a few of them have tried to talk me into getting in on "the action" What action? Why would I want to sit at my computer all day and get fat and lazy just so I can have something to brag about in cyberland? It just all seems stupid to me.

^ I know, but the risk of it happening is what keeps me away. And it's more then just getting fat and lazy. For the people who get mindlessly addicted there is a lot more at risk then their health.

MY real life presents me with enough drama. I don't need to also worry about a horde of dakelves chasing me into The Great Mystic Cove of Lalalalala Land, or whatever.

Did you ever see the South Park Episode about it? Twas pretty funny.

I have this friend who got really into playing. He isn't addicted or anything. Maybe a little addicted, but not to the point where it's becoming a problem. BUt anyway, he had a party a few weeks ago. It was funny because all he Pre-WOW friend felt out of place. He invited all these people he met playing Wow and that's pretty much all they talked about all night. So, those of us who don't play were out of the loop.

Archived