Losing Friends to World of WarCraft aka WOW

We did, but they were all gathered in the computer room.

And since he doesn't really know any of these people aside from in the game you are right. They probably had nothing else to talk about. I just thought it was funny.

Like just imagine what the conversation would be like if a bunch of us ENA people all got together in real life.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever see the South Park Episode about it? Twas pretty funny.

I have this friend who got really into playing. He isn't addicted or anything. Maybe a little addicted, but not to the point where it's becoming a problem. BUt anyway, he had a party a few weeks ago. It was funny because all he Pre-WOW friend felt out of place. He invited all these people he met playing Wow and that's pretty much all they talked about all night. So, those of us who don't play were out of the loop.

OMG!

I LOVE that episode! One of my truly favourite episodes, of among many!

"How can you kill... that which has no life?" lmao

They do such a great job of making fun of Warcraft (and many other laughable topics.)

my ex finacee now has on online gf so that he never has to leave his chair...

its pathetic...

I cant believe people are stupid enough to let their real life relationships degrade for it

GO OUTSIDE!! take a walk, read a book... get a life! -shakes head-

I agree! (For once... lol)

The real world is FAR more interesting than the internet. Why don't people understand that?!

LOL ok then

I never said you said that, i'm just making a point. But oh dear, i guess we can't have discussions on the discussion forum LOL

I didn't mean to be so testy (Who am I kidding, yes I did...)

It just seemed like you were reading to much into some only partially relevent story I told.

I just think its annoying that people make out that because they met maybe one or two people who got addicted to a game online, that anyone who ever plays them is stupid, like you said it seems stupid to you. But nevermind, i didn't come onto a forum to fight ROFL

OMG!

I LOVE that episode! One of my truly favourite episodes, of among many!

"How can you kill... that which has no life?" lmao

They do such a great job of making fun of Warcraft (and many other laughable topics.)

Well T, we finally found something we agree on, lol.

That episode was a great one.

Those guys are geniuses...

I just think its annoying that people make out that because they met maybe one or two people who got addicted to a game online, that anyone who ever plays them is stupid, like you said it seems stupid to you. But nevermind, i didn't come onto a forum to fight ROFL

Not trying to fight, but I think you took my comments the wrong way.

Saying it seems stupid to me is not the same as saying everyone who plays it is stupid.

I know some people with College dregrees who play.

Well T, we finally found something we agree on, lol.

That episode was a great one.

Those guys are geniuses...

I like A LOT of that show's take on things.

I hate to admit it, but they are quite clever. The killing off of Scientologist Chef, ManBearPig and Al Gore (lmao), Wall-Mart's reign of terror... God, that show not only amuses me, it attacks everything I hate. (Pretty much, anyway...)

I like A LOT of that show's take on things.

I hate to admit it, but they are quite clever. The killing off of Scientologist Chef, ManBearPig and Al Gore (lmao), Wall-Mart's reign of terror... God, that show not only amuses me, it attacks everything I hate. (Pretty much, anyway...)

Me too. Amen to that.

My favorite episode is the one where Cartman thinks's he's dead. I laughed so hard I nearly pissed myself...

Did you see the one with Chef's parents? "And the locke ness monster looked at me and said 'I need about tree fiddy.'"

Me too. Amen to that.

My favorite episode is the one where Cartman thinks's he's dead. I laughed so hard I nearly pissed myself...

Did you see the one with Chef's parents? "And the locke ness monster looked at me and said 'I need about tree fiddy.'"

I liked Chef's parents. lol But Chef... *shakes head* that damned Super Adventure Club got to him. So I lost some respect for Isaas Hayes after that.

I'm super serial. *nods*

The scientology episode was awesome too. "Dad... Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet!"

"I-I'm not in the closet." lmao

The sad part was, that really IS what scientology believes, so that episode didn't fabricate too much. again, I'm super serial.

I liked Chef's parents. lol But Chef... *shakes head* that damned Super Adventure Club got to him. So I lost some respect for Isaas Hayes after that.

I'm super serial. *nods*

The scientology episode was awesome too. "Dad... Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet!"

"I-I'm not in the closet." lmao

The sad part was, that really IS what scientology believes, so that episode didn't fabricate too much. again, I'm super serial.

Nicole Kidman "Then how am I talking to you Tom?" Lol...

I know the scientology episode was really acurate. I've read up quite a bit on Scientology.

Do you remember the "Super Best Friends" episode?

And did you see the one where they ripped on the DaVinci code? Classsic... serially.

Nicole Kidman "Then how am I talking to you Tom?" Lol...

I know the scientology episode was really acurate. I've read up quite a bit on Scientology.

Do you remember the "Super Best Friends" episode?

And did you see the one where they ripped on the DaVinci code? Classsic... serially.

Super Friends was amusing. I think Moses is 100% dead on. He likes popcorn necklaces. lmao Wasn't Aquaman one of them...? No wait... that was Seaman (semen). lol

I don't remember the DaVinci code one... I probably saw it, but it's not ringing a bell... hmm...

I just did a search... it turns out St. Peter was a rabbit. lol That explains A LOT right there. lol

I did see that South Park episode and it was seriously hilarious.

Last night a few friends and I went out and we called another friend that is addicted to playing WOW and they were like "Oh I can't we are blah blah blah..." What a bunch of losers. I am not saying all people that play video games are losers, but the ones that do it non stop and have no real life, ARE.

Last night a few friends and I went out and we called another friend that is addicted to playing WOW and they were like "Oh I can't we are blah blah blah..." What a bunch of losers. I am not saying all people that play video games are losers, but the ones that do it non stop and have no real life, ARE.

Especially MMORPGs.

I can't believe I got such a response to this post to be honest. I did not even realize how "big" WOW is. I had one of my friends call me the other day and told me it was either Tuesday or Wednesday that they said they could hang out for about an hour in the morning because the servers or something like that goes down for the game to do updates or something. I was like umm that would be a big fat negative you loser. Of course I did not say it like that, but I was thinking it. Now that is an addict.

I can't believe I got such a response to this post to be honest. I did not even realize how "big" WOW is. I had one of my friends call me the other day and told me it was either Tuesday or Wednesday that they said they could hang out for about an hour in the morning because the servers or something like that goes down for the game to do updates or something. I was like umm that would be a big fat negative you loser. Of course I did not say it like that, but I was thinking it. Now that is an addict.

Server maintenance is Tuesday mornings, usually 5am-11am PST.

Last I knew (and this is a few months ago, so I'm sure the number's higher now) there were 8 million WoW subscribers worldwide. That's at least 8 million people and likely more because some people (like me & my husband) share an account.

I told my husband about this thread at dinner last night and we were talking about it for a while. I wrote about it in my blog today (in the Journal section if anyone's really, really, really bored). A brief synopsis of that post follows:

This basic pattern has been going on long before my lifetime or yours.

I used to work with a gal who started going to a new church. Pretty soon, she was only doing stuff with other church members. Eventually she left the radio station where we worked and went to work for the church's radio station.

When I owned and raced harness horses, I spent much of my non-work time with my horse and racing friends. This was a bone of contention if I happened to be seeing someone who was not into horses and/or racing.

Technology has changed just about every area of our lives. In the past, we did used to have to physically go places and deal with people face to face to take care of various things (like paying bills or getting license plates or seeing movies or ordering pizza or buying books), but now we can do all of those things without leaving our home or directly dealing with another person. WoW and similar games are just another piece of that larger picture.

The activities, interests, and the way we go about pursuing them change, but the patterns of human behavior remain the same.

I agree, but I also think a lot of todays modern technology makes people lazy in general. It is all about convienence now a days. I also agree that the whole online game playing world is pretty ridiculous when you could be out in the real world. But I am not saying it is ridiculous to use every now and then or in moderation, but if you are giving up on everyday responsibilities and duties and friends and family, then yes I am saying that you are ridiculous.

Personally I find it very sad that we no longer have to deal with people face to face for many things. Me who was practically raised in a video game since the age of two, and has social anxiety, prefers face-to-face interaction. You miss out on so many things only dealing with people online, and for that I'd much rather play a game with a friend in the same room. (besides, if your friend is there you get to poke them to death when they're about to beat you)

This is true, but a game like WoW wouldn't possible on a one-to-one basis, or even a roomful of people. Part of the point of MMO's is the Massive part. It's part of what makes the experience so compelling.

...and I'd say that because of the anonymity, human behavior is skewed online. I don't need to explain why, but I'll give you an example.

If I had met my WoW guild-mates in real life, they would have never said most of the things they said to me in the game. Many of them would have also never given me a chance to even play with them, if they had known I was a girl off the bat.

This is also true, but trivially so. It's been well-known for quite some time that Mass Communication + Anonymity = trolls and griefers. It comes with the territory.

Archived