So I dunno, but I think I might be goin to jail

musicguy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, here's my update.

I think it was a "scare" tactic for me to stop talkin to his step daughter and no police came to my house.

Besides, the perrson that told me that they were from the Iowa Criminal Dept..called me from the same number as I was texting, PLUS it was at 12:30 am NC time and I doubt that people would be in the office at 11:30pm iowa time.

Soo...I changed my cell number

Deleted the profile on the site that i met her on.

Delelted her from my Myspace as a friend

and now I'm gonna put my Myspace on private..

and I'm gonna put a warning on my Myspace

It sounds to me like the phonecall was from her stepdad trying to scare you. Personally I don't have a problem with you talking to the girl at your age (well I couldn't have really my girlfriend's 18 and I'm 28 too, we've been dating 18 months now) the only issue really is legality. The fact that federal laws about soliciting minors online don't take into account age of consent does seem like a misnomer though, for instance if you were say 19 and starting to date a 16 year old and happened to chat regularly on msn/aim etc what would be the legal situation on that? It does seem very odd that this could be considered a felony.

Anyway I'm glad you seem to be sorted out from a legal standpoint, but definiteley be careful who you talk to and about what in future. The internet is a strange place

Personally I don't have a problem with you talking to the girl at your age (well I couldn't have really my girlfriend's 18 and I'm 28 too, we've been dating 18 months now)

Well, good that that's working out for you; but for most, there is a huge gulf of maturity between the ages of 18 and 28. Some girls are more mature for their age (and usually, emotionally, the science backs up girls maturing faster usually, no offense to guys), but by 28, musicguy, you really are more likely to find someone extremely immature (even for you, if they are eighteen) -- and should be looking for women in their early to late-20's.

I agree with other posters here -- aside from the legal issue. I am relieved to hear of the steps you took. But on the other hand, what is compelling you to seek out such young girls? I really think there is something to examine above and beyond "stupidity" here, I think you are avoiding or chasing something in your life and it comes out this way. At least you recognize your own immaturity by your own admission, that is at least some sign of maturity! No offense, just my opinions. I hope this scrape blows over in the coming days.

I don't see that it's anyone's business to berate you for liking younger women, and I don't know how you could be in any legal trouble if everything you say is correct. Two things that you might want to think about, however: you apparently didn't know the age of consent in her state when you sent the somewhat suggestive photos, and you may have also gotten her in serious trouble with her guardians. If this is going to continue to be your thing, I recommend you do it through a site like adultfriendfinder, where everyone affirms that they are 18 or older when they sign up.

And just a thought from my perspective... women your own age and above are a lot more fun to talk to than high schoolers. They know what they like, and they know how to say it.

Well since this is a site/forum for advice, the best advice we can give for the future is to stop pursuing such young girls over the Net. too much risk in wondering if they are lying about their age or not not to mention the conversation between someone 28 and a teenager is going to be pretty weak.

Sure law enforcement can call you. When someone finds your lost dog. When you need to pay a traffic ticket. When you are suspected of online predatorial crimes involving a minor, they come knock down your door.

Music Dude, I don't think you were at fault here. Nothing wrong with liking younger chicks, over 18 that is Posting a warning on your page is a good idea, it will help cover your ass legally if this should ever happen again.

Don't mean to stir the pot... but whoever called you was illegally impersonating a law enforcement official... A serious crime. Keep that in mind if her or her multiple dads ever decide to pursue this.

Don't mean to stir the pot... but whoever called you was illegally impersonating a law enforcement official... A serious crime. Keep that in mind if her or her multiple dads ever decide to pursue this.

good point! musicguy, did you save the phone number? i know you didn't save the message, but you can do a "reverse lookup" from your call log on your phone. was it from a north carolina area code or from an iowa code?

I haven't read all the posts.. There are sooo many, but don't you watch Dateline NBC to catch a predator??? Stick to talking to people your own age, before you end up sleeping next to Bubba and becoming his victim!

Teens thats age should be OFF Limits!!! No matter how mature they seem.

Archived