Is it racist to exclude people based on race?

Kalika

I think we are getting to a point where we are arguing semantics. Ok so the question is: is having a sexual preference that excludes an entire race 'racist'. By definition, it *is*, but that does not mean, presumably, that you discriminate against that race on any grounds other than sexual preference.

Nevertheless, I would argue that to exclude on the basis on race alone hints that you have a problem with that person's *race* (not their gender, religion, hair colour, weight or anything else) and that is latently if not actively racist.

That's what the word means.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I don't think it's racist either. If you are not attracted to someone it's something you can't help. I have never dated outside my race but I have tons of friends that aren't my race. Really good friends actually. I hate racism, it disgusts me. Just because I have never dated that race or this race doesn't mean I don't respect them as I do anyone else.

No, I said I think it's very different from sexual orientation. If you are heterosexual but declare 'I am not attracted to black men' you are basing your preferences on race alone. Sexual orientation is innate (I believe). Attitudes to other races are not innate, they are learned, acculturated, i.e. prejudices

Well, they say people are attracted to people who look like them ... so that would be one biological "innate" reason why people might be more attracted to their own race than to other races.

I personally think there is a difference between: "I am not attracted to black men" and "I have not been attracted to a black man that I have met yet." Maybe I'm wrong though.

Well, they say people are attracted to people who look like them ... so that would be one biological "innate" reason why people might be more attracted to their own race than to other races.

I personally think there is a difference between: "I am not attracted to black men" and "I have not been attracted to a black man that I have met yet." Maybe I'm wrong though.

Completely agree with you.

I don't think it's racist-it seems more like a personal preference. You may think it sounds racist, but it's not like they're putting the race down or making negative generalizations about the race as a whole, they're just saying they wouldnt date a certain race. I dont see anything wrong with that, to me that's just a personal choice they've made.

If a person has something against having black or asian friends, or problems associating with them, that would be a different story (in my opinion).

I think not acknowledging cultural differences and such is also very racist. I hate it when people say "there is no difference". While yes we should all have equal opportunities and the like, not recognizing that we have different cultures, etc. is wrong as well.

Please don't take that as I mean we shouldn't be allowed the same jobs, rights, etc. That is most definitely NOT what I mean.

I think not acknowledging cultural differences and such is also very racist. I hate it when people say "there is no difference". While yes we should all have equal opportunities and the like, not recognizing that we have different cultures, etc. is wrong as well.

Please don't take that as I mean we shouldn't be allowed the same jobs, rights, etc. That is most definitely NOT what I mean.

What does this have to do with who you would choose to date?

Just wanna say something....

Sorry if this is rude...

But girls who are into sex and say they wont date a balck man...

Black men TEND to have larger U'know's

thank you for assuming that women only want to date well endowed men. Even women who love sex don't necessarily just want a big one. And thank you for stereotyping that all black men are that way. I am sure there are black men out there who can't dance and have a small penis. Shocking huh?

I didn't mean to offend... I was just stating some facts...

I don't wanna date someone for their penis size... And I'm sure plenty of other women don't either...

I was just saying that Black men TEND to have larger ones, this is cause their skin is thicker...

Sorry if that offended you...

I'll just butt out now... See ya.

It's racist when you don't want to date your own kind. Sorry but it's true. If you fall in love with another race or colour fine. But to avoid your own race? Worse than the KKK.

Amen! Those people should be ashamed of themselves, actually they probably are: That's why they don't their own race. Have some pride, I say.

It's racist when you don't want to date your own kind. Sorry but it's true. If you fall in love with another race or colour fine. But to avoid your own race? Worse than the KKK.

this is the stupidest comment i have ever read. you can't be serious. personal preference is personal preference. saying you hate your race is a bit racist. just cause you don't want to date within your own race means nothing.

Full diclosure: I am Asian, and when my guy friend told me he would never date a black girl, I lost a little bit of respect for him. I didn't want to feel that way about him, but it just happened. Especially when he went on to say it's because of the way they wair their hair, and dress, etc... It was just disappointing to realize that there are people out there that will never even consider me as an option, just because of my skin color. Truth be told, I'm probably the only Asian friend he has. I have never seen him associate with black, hispanic or asian people even just as friends.

Most of my boyfriends have been white, but I have dated several black men and if I ever met an Asian/Indian/Chinese guy that had the same values and sense of humor as me, I'd be down for that too.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that I love men.

Ok, I have to comment on the interracial/racist threads-I'm in an interracial relationship so I have a very strong opinion on the subject.

Everyone has their own opinion on what they find attractive/unattractive. But to say someone is unattractive because they are black/white....I find that racist.

And this is a little off course from the original post, but anyone who has a problem with other people of different races dating or married or just other races in general.....well, they are completely and totally ignorant.

Sorry, I just always have to comment on these threads.

this is the stupidest comment i have ever read. you can't be serious. personal preference is personal preference. saying you hate your race is a bit racist. just cause you don't want to date within your own race means nothing.

I thought it was one of the more brilliant ones here. Open you eyes, Ghost. Of course it means something when one refuses to date one's own race. It means on some level you are ashamed of your race and of who you are. It's obvious to anyone willing to think about it for even a minute.

Do people avoid dating their own race??

I never heard of that. Is it some kind of racial inferiority complex?

Yes and apparently you've never met an Asian woman lol. Surveys show 20-25% of them won't date their own men. I'm sure there is a certain % of other races who won't date within their own race as well.

I thought it was one of the more brilliant ones here. Open you eyes, Ghost. Of course it means something when one doesn't date one's own race. It means on some level you are ashamed of your race and of who you are. It's obvious to anyone willing to think about it for even a minute.

ashamed? no way. it's your preference. so if you are brunette and prefer blondes and you just don't want to date brunettes, you have a problem with brunettes? so you are ashamed of brunettes? pffft.

ashamed? no way. it's your preference. so if you are brunette and prefer blondes and you just don't want to date brunettes, you have a problem with brunettes? so you are ashamed of brunettes? pffft.

Forget it, I'm guessing you are not a minority? It would behoove you to read up about this issue so that you'll understand.

Archived