Did I make the right decision?

Millrun123

I just broke up with my boyfriend. Our relationship had been pretty rough- I didn't like that he was smothering- didn't give me enough of my own time. But in the last few weeks he fixed it and I had felt better about it. But I know the timing was terrible when we first started dating...I was not over my ex. I told my boyfriend about how I was feeling throughout the relationship: like I had a heart of stone. He has always been there for me and is definitely totally head over heels for me... But I always felt I was either not ready or did not feel as much love for him. We had a talk 2 days ago about his binge drinking issue and it didn't sound like he wanted to change. So I decided that I had to make a final decision and I don't think someone should have to change for you so I decided instead of trying to make it work to end it. Do you think there's a chance we will try again, maybe when I'm ready to date and he's grown up? Or should I just think we will not get back together? He's 28 im 27 both been through long term relationships.

On again-off again relationships never work. If you cared enough, you would've given him time to see if he came through with positive changes. The point of dating is to see if the person is compatible with you, and if not, you should end it, which you did. Stay alone for a good long while now to be sure you're actually ready to date this time when a good prospect shows up.

You've clearly made the right choice, hard as it is. Up and down this forum you'll see people talking about the importance of grieving one relationship before getting into another. If we don't do this, we carry the emotional baggage from one relationship into another—at first using the excitement of a new relationship to soften it, and then coming to resent the new relationship for failing to provide a cure. Properly grieving is what allows your heart to heal and stay open, as opposed to turning to "stone," which is more a feeling than an actual state.

Hopefully this is your moment to really learn that lesson. We've all bee there—it sucks, and I'm sorry. Give yourself real time and space to be alone, to feel what you need to feel, and to let go of any future outcomes. That's how you'll begin to really understand what you want and need. If this relationship is meant to come around, it will, but you have to let this chapter fully go first.

Archived