Thanksgiving with 1 week old newborn?

AmyeMae

We are expecting our first baby a week or so before thanksgiving. My future in laws have told us that they would like us to go to their house for thanksgiving.

I told them that since the baby would be around a week old then, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him so soon. But that they are more than welcome to come to our house for dinner. We live about 10 minutes apart. We also a large kitchen, dinning room so plenty of space for eating, etc.

But my future MIL is acting like I'm trying to keep the baby away from her which I'm not! But they refuse to even consider the idea of coming to our house instead.

I just think a week is a bit too soon. My bf agrees with me that it would be better to have family come to us rather than us driving.

As a first time mom, am I being overly caustious and worried? Would it be ok to take a week old newborn over? Thanks!

If your due date is a week before thanksgiving i wouldn't be making any plans frankly. Firstborns more often than not come late so there is a good chance you're in labour that day or around that day.

So i wouldn't be going to nor hosting any dinner this year......

Yes ,my son was supposed to be born September 28 was but was born October 2 instead.

Maybe leave this negotiation to your boyfriend? If he agrees with you then he can do all the talks with his odd mother. Why she would get upset about a 10 minute dive and a different kitchen, when you have just given birth (if it happens on the due date) seems really strange and self involved.

I'd let Dad deal with his family, and I'd tell him that I'd rather not hear anything that's going to make me think badly of them. If they're unhappy with me for any reason, then that's too bad, so sad, they'll need to get over it. I'm not committing myself to carting a newborn around OR cooking for anyone. It's all on them what they'll want to do, I'm sleeping when the baby sleeps and I'm nursing when I need to. Beyond that, they can all be thankful for the new addition--or not, that's on them.

Archived