Potential first date but concerned

Tygerlyly53

I am supposed to meet a man tonight for dinner. We have a place and time all set. I met him online and we talked on the phone on Sunday. Monday he texted and confirmed he was free for today so we made plans. I haven't heard much from him since, though. Yesterday he texted me to have a good day and I responded the same.

I checked his profile and it is hidden now. I am worried I am going to be stood up. Should I confirm that we are still on for tonight? With the luck I have been having lately with flakes, I don't want to get ready and drive to the restaurant only to be stood up.

What should I do?

text him to confirm. he may have hidden his profile because he only likes to date one woman. that's exactly what i did. in fact, rightly or wrongly i hid my profile when i was speaking to one woman.

some guys prefer one at a time.

he may not be very communicative becasue he doesnt know you yet and besides the more he finds out before the date the less he has to find out on the date.

good luck and i hope the date goes ok.

How far out of the way is it? I mean it's dinner, so theoretically you wouldn't otherwise be a mess in your jamjams and being presentable is exactly putting you out, so if he confirmed plans with him Monday and heard from him yesterday, I'd personally consider the date to still be on and just go. Or text to confirm. Not a big deal. Up to you.

Send a message to confirm.

By sounds of it he likes you, and can likes to get to know one woman at a time.

There are heaps of reasons he might not be messaging don't over analysis the situation, just go out and have fun.

Don't get into analysis paralysis and do your best to leave bad date baggage behind you. Most people will be where they said they will be and expect the same from you without a ton of contact and confirming and reconfirming along the way. Also, be careful with texting - some people can't have their cell at work or might be busy in meetings, so you might not get a response back like you expect and then you are just setting yourself up for failure.

I literally had a guy do that one time. He had texted me to confirm while I was out with my tennis group. By the time I got back to him it was very late. Regardless I had confirmed, but by then he had already leaped to the conclusion that I'm going to stand him up and that I'm deliberately blowing him off and so his response was nasty. Then he realized his error and tried to walk it all back, but who wants to deal with that kind of a mess of a person? I cancelled the date because he had shown me his colors and there was no way I was going to accept that kind of behavior from someone. So, don't be like him. Have a little faith in your dates and don't self sabotage yourself with negative presumptions. Remember that each person you are meeting is a new person and what someone else has done, has no bearing on what happens with that new person.

I thought you were going to take some time off dating and work on yourself?

In other threads you seemed to appear very in need of therapy, and it would be nice if you could get some form of it. Your self confidence is severely lacking and that's a big issue.

Nevertheless, good luck.

I thought you were going to take some time off dating and work on yourself?

In other threads you seemed to appear very in need of therapy, and it would be nice if you could get some form of it. Your self confidence is severely lacking and that's a big issue.

Nevertheless, good luck.

He asked me out so I said yes. I figured there was no harm in having dinner with him.

Hi everyone. He actually confirmed a couple of hours before the date. He wanted to make sure I was still planning to meet. I told him yes. We met and had a light dinner. It was a pleasant time. He walked me to my car and we chatted a bit. He hugged me and said goodbye. He is leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week. He is taking a fishing trip. He told me he will "touch base" with me. I am not sure what that means as I couldn't get a clear signal whether he felt any chemistry with me.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone. He actually confirmed a couple of hours before the date. He wanted to make sure I was still planning to meet. I told him yes. We met and had a light dinner. It was a pleasant time. He walked me to my car and we chatted a bit. He hugged me and said goodbye. He is leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week. He is taking a fishing trip. He told me he will "touch base" with me. I am not sure what that means as I couldn't get a clear signal whether he felt any chemistry with me.

Well, he is supposedly back from his week's vacation and his profile is still disabled. He said he disables it when he is talking to someone (me) but I haven't heard from him since our first meeting a couple of weeks ago. Not gonna bother reaching out to him. Another one bites the dust before it even got started. WTH am I doing wrong. I am almost afraid to meet people in person now. I am beginning to think I sound good on paper (via text, phone and email) but disappoint in person. Every though all my pics are current.

I think I am just too sensitive and vulnerable for online dating. It lowers my self-esteem more than it already is. I could probably get a one night stand no problem but not anything more meaningful.

Well, he is supposedly back from his week's vacation and his profile is still disabled. He said he disables it when he is talking to someone (me) but I haven't heard from him since our first meeting a couple of weeks ago. Not gonna bother reaching out to him. Another one bites the dust before it even got started. WTH am I doing wrong. I am almost afraid to meet people in person now. I am beginning to think I sound good on paper (via text, phone and email) but disappoint in person. Every though all my pics are current.

I think I am just too sensitive and vulnerable for online dating. It lowers my self-esteem more than it already is. I could probably get a one night stand no problem but not anything more meaningful.

Can I just say I'm amazed at the amount of people who go on dates and then immediately go on vacations? I swear it's like every other post. I wonder if that's like code or a safely net or something. If it goes bad you don't have to say anything cause you'll be on vacation...

Anyway, if you can't handle it by all means take a break. Your mental health is more important than dating.

Archived