long term relationship with moms boy

My boyfriend and I are in the long term long distance relationship for the last ten years , during which I went away to attend uni and to get a fresh grad job elsewhere for a couple of years. With lots of arguments we somehow managed to stay in touch. Now after 10 years his mother's health started deteriorating and he had quit his job to look after her full time for 3 years now.

As for myself I have changed jobs and currently live overseas. Since my boyfriend and I decided to finally be together in the same city, there started long argument over the same issues. He claims I should be showing that I am genuine by doing the right thing, which means in his term I should always be on his side. My parents strongly went against the idea of the relationship because they don't want me to a sole breadwinner while he is looking after his mum.

I have been granted a week worth of annual leave from a company I work for and told my boyfriend that I am going to see him while I'm in town but I won't be with him 24/7 because he might be busy looking after his mum.

When I told him of the above he all of sudden got aggressive and went on how nasty I am and he would never commit to me unless I show it first.

A part of me thinks that he commits to his job of looking after his mum but another part of me thinks he's using his mum as an excuse so that he doesn't have to work and expect others to be nice to him.

I'm very lost in pursuing this relationship any advise will be appreciated.

Your parents and the part of you that thinks he's mooching off mom are correct. Perhaps it's time to admit that after 10 yrs long distance this just isn't a good match?

Is this supposed to be an arranged marriage or is he from a culture where you would look after his mom and bring in the money?

My parents strongly went against the idea of the relationship because they don't want me to a sole breadwinner while he is looking after his mum. part of me thinks he's using his mum as an excuse so that he doesn't have to work and expect others to be nice to him.

Archived