Should we split the pet deposit?

BecxyRex

I've posted before recently about my boyfriend and his dog moving in. I appreciate all the advice I got from you. I talked to my landlord pretty much immediately after and confessed that the dog had been staying a couple of days before officially announcing. My landlord is a very reasonable guy and I was able to get some understanding from him. We worked out a new lease agreement so that I can officially live with my bf and his dog. The rent was slightly raised which is fine. We split evenly so it's still cheaper for me than previously on my own. My landlord wants a pet deposit as well, which is also fine. My boyfriend is going to pay for that. Unfortunately my landlord is charging a fee for housing the dog for those days before I asked him officially. I agreed, since I'm at fault for not consulting with him first. Overall, I'm glad it worked out and that he's allowing the dog to live there. The thing is, the fee + pet deposit + rent are a pretty large chunk of money at once for my bf. It's his dog, but in a way I'd hate to see him pay it all himself. I've asked friends and have heard mixed messages. Some say it's on him, since the dog is his, others say they'd split the cost since we're serious about each other and technically she's my dog now too. So I'm wondering what I should do here. My boyfriend is wanting to pay on his own but is a little stressed about the amount at once. I'd like to alleviate and not just sit there and let him carry all the financial burden. Any advice?

Personally, I'd offer to help if I had the money to do so. Like you said, he's your boyfriend, he's moving in, and you're serious about each other.

Or, you can let him pay it all, but tell him you're taking care of such and such bills this month (his share of it included).

Why don't you try offering help and see what he says to that? He might say, "nah, it's my dog, i'll take care of it." Then, you can be satisfied that at least you offered. But if he says, "Really? I'd really appreciate that." Then you did something good for your bf and he'll remember it. He may even offer to pay it back.

I just don't get what you're afraid of.... are you afraid that he'll take advantage of your money? or are you afraid that you'll offend his masculinity by offering to help? I'm not understanding what is the problem with communicating to him how you honestly feel?

Is it going to be a financial setback for you? Are you afraid he won't pay you back? If it's not about money, what is the real issue here?

In your shoes, I'd be all for helping out either by pitching in straight away or cutting him some slack on next month's rent / utilities. You're definitely not obligated to, though. But if it doesn't put you out too much and it's something you want to do, I don't see why not.

Why don't you try offering help and see what he says to that? He might say, "nah, it's my dog, i'll take care of it." Then, you can be satisfied that at least you offered. But if he says, "Really? I'd really appreciate that." Then you did something good for your bf and he'll remember it. He may even offer to pay it back.

I just don't get what you're afraid of.... are you afraid that he'll take advantage of your money? or are you afraid that you'll offend his masculinity by offering to help? I'm not understanding what is the problem with communicating to him how you honestly feel?

Is it going to be a financial setback for you? Are you afraid he won't pay you back? If it's not about money, what is the real issue here?

Hm, it's not really about being afraid of anything here. Just curious how others would handle this.

If it's not something you need to make a huge issue out of I'd just go ahead and front it and either have him pay you back or otherwise figure out a way that's equitable that you're both okay with. Just don't make this a thing you hold over his head later, you know? Like you get in a fight and pull this out "Oh yeah? Well what about the time I fronted the pet fee for your damn dog!" Nah, don't do that.

Btw, how much is this landlord reasonably charging you for the "few days" the dog was there that this added fee is such a big deal? Just curious.

I would tell the boyfriend you'll pay the days the dog was there, but the landlord wasn't told since that's on you AND half the pet deposit since you are both living there, both will presumably be taking care of the dog, and you equally responsible for the dog.

Do that upfront, tell your boyfriend it's happening under your roof technically, you're all three coming together to live under one roof, and it's only fair you also share that expense.

Tell the dog he needs to pay with lots of puppy kisses and chasing away burglars, cats, plastic bags and other potential threats. He'll do his part just fine.

Yeah, I completely understand what you mean. I'm going to offer my help, but leave it at that and not pull it out as a weapon in future fights. It's $250 a day... I'm totally to blame here. In my previous post I said it's not in the lease, but it actually is. I had not seen that part when I first signed it. Only when I looked at it again did I see.

It's $250 a day... I'm totally to blame here. In my previous post I said it's not in the lease, but it actually is. I had not seen that part when I first signed it. Only when I looked at it again did I see.

Is that amount listed in the lease? That is high. Are you sure it's not $25/day?

It's unfortunate, but many leases list penalty fees, etc. He could have evicted you, but now you are all together including the dog and your bf lived rent free for a while so all in all you made out...just consider it tuition and the cost of doing business,

It's in the lease

Archived