My boyfriend and I don't have much to talk about anymore?

MEOrtega

We've been dating 5 months and we're kinda getting passed that honeymoon stage. We're very comfortable with each other and know a lot about each other I guess that's why we don't really have much to talk about. We spent a few months getting to know each other before we started a relationship so I have to take that into consideration as well. We're very happy but recently since that 'honeymoon' phase is coming to an end our conversations have been kind of dull. We text everyday throughout the day usually call once a day and I end up on skype with him and his friends and play games. Maybe that's why? Because we talk all the time? Our text replies aren't fast it's just whenever we get back to each other which is okay with me. We're both quiet but we balance each other out. He's not really one for small talk his answers are short and blunt so I get kinda lost after that. It's just how he is. We're both in our early twenties and finishing up school to get our degrees we don't work because what we're going to school is like a job so there isn't much to talk about that either. Maybe we need to back off talking or texting all day? Any conversation tips though?

I think you might be on to something. Maybe if you don't try to force a conversation all day everyday you'll find when you do talk it's more meaningful and you'll have more to discuss. On the other hand if I'm really into a guy I want to tell him all about how I saw a funny squirrel on my way to somewhere or the funny thing my friend said to me or this new commercial I saw that had me cracking up (and if he's into me he wants to hear all about those weird things lol)....I'm never at a loss for things to say....but those aren't things that I bring up via text.

Also, once you get into the groove of a relationship texting is better when used as a means to let the other person know you think about them with a quick "good morning" or "hope you're having a good day." You see it and you smile a little and you return the sentiment and that's all that it needs to be. Save other stuff for when you talk on the phone or in person then maybe you'll have more to say.

We've been dating 5 months and we're kinda getting passed that honeymoon stage. We're very comfortable with each other and know a lot about each other I guess that's why we don't really have much to talk about. We spent a few months getting to know each other before we started a relationship so I have to take that into consideration as well. We're very happy but recently since that 'honeymoon' phase is coming to an end our conversations have been kind of dull. We text everyday throughout the day usually call once a day and I end up on skype with him and his friends and play games. Maybe that's why? Because we talk all the time? Our text replies aren't fast it's just whenever we get back to each other which is okay with me. We're both quiet but we balance each other out. He's not really one for small talk his answers are short and blunt so I get kinda lost after that. It's just how he is. We're both in our early twenties and finishing up school to get our degrees we don't work because what we're going to school is like a job so there isn't much to talk about that either. Maybe we need to back off talking or texting all day? Any conversation tips though?

My parents were married 64 years and never ran out of convo. Perhaps, you should cut down on all the texting.

If you need convo tips after 5 months, that's a problem.

Yea I would suggest less texting and talking on the phone. Honestly, how much really happens in a day that keeps the conversation fresh and flowing? Not much. How often do you see each other and do you have much to say in person? Me and my boyfriend (7.5 months) don't text regularly, just the odd sharing of something funny or interesting if we see something, and no talking on the phone. We see each other about three times a week and have lots to say, because stuff happens in a few days period and you also feel like you miss each other because you haven't really talked for a few days so we both feel eager to find out what has been happening in the other's life. So I suggest trade the texting and phone calls for more quality time in person.

I would also ask questions if he shares something, that always help keep the conversation going and allows you to continue to learn more about him.

If none of that works, perhaps you just don't have enough in common?

Sometimes it's incompatibility. Sometimes it's expecting too much.

My girlfriend and I have been together for over two years now and, no, we don't sit down and have thought-provoking conversations all day, every day. We don't back and forth. We're pretty much on complete readio silence during the workday. When either of us are traveling, we don't make it an obligation to call each other each night. We take our space and it makes our time together a lot easier for making conversation.

Five months is still early. Personally, at that point I'm still taking a few days off every week from the relationship. Not calling and texting every day. Maybe scale it back and see how the quality of your conversations develop.

Archived