Would women here ever date a man who was unemployed?

EternalSingle

Or any Western woman for that matter...?

I realise of course that much of this depends on age, so whereas a 28 year old woman almost certainly would not, an 18 year old girl would be much more likely to do so.

That said, if I were to give an age range, say 25+, I think I am correct in believing that no woman (particularly American) would date a man who is unemployed (although looking for work). Am I wrong in thinking this?

I would appreciate all female input (and male as well )

Cheers

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in this job market, many people are unemployed and are looking for work. i would likely date that guy so long as he is also spending 8 hours a day, pounding the pavement, looking for a job.

What if all he could find was part-time work, even several part-time jobs?

It's weird as I have never enjoyed any work I have ever done, always just a means to survival. Even now I hope to find a job in order to find a woman and less because I am thrilled by the prospects of working. In truth, I could find work tomorrow, but it would mean leaving NYC and the US. Is it strange that I perceive the greatest lack in my life to be the lack of romantic partner? I view work as a necessary evil more than anything else. I wonder if that is weird...

It depends on the situation, I think. If he is unemployed due to a layoff, and is actively looking for a job and working hard at it, I think women would date him. If he is unemployed because he is rich and doesn't have to work, then women would date him.

If he is unemployed simply because he doesn't want a job and is too lazy to look for one, well, most women my age wouldn't date him.

It depends on the situation, I think. If he is unemployed due to a layoff, and is actively looking for a job and working hard at it, I think women would date him. If he is unemployed because he is rich and doesn't have to work, then women would date him.

If he is unemployed simply because he doesn't want a job and is too lazy to look for one, well, most women my age wouldn't date him.

Assuming he found work, would the kind of work and his salary matter? (to you)

Assuming he found work, would the kind of work and his salary matter? (to you)

Well, I would ideally want him to at least make enough to live on his own, but if he was not able to find a job that would pay him well, I wouldn't necessarily count him out as a dating partner. I would want the man to make it clear that he was planning on getting a job that paid him enough to live comfortably, though.

As for the type of work, as long as he wasn't doing anything illegal, the type of work he did wouldn't be important to me.

What if all he could find was part-time work, even several part-time jobs?

It's weird as I have never enjoyed any work I have ever done, always just a means to survival. Even now I hope to find a job in order to find a woman and less because I am thrilled by the prospects of working. In truth, I could find work tomorrow, but it would mean leaving NYC and the US. Is it strange that I perceive the greatest lack in my life to be the lack of romantic partner? I view work as a necessary evil more than anything else. I wonder if that is weird...

i think that would work for some women, but not for myself. as i am a PhD candidate, i would want to date a man with similar passions and ambitions in life. he wouldn't necessarily need to have an advanced degree either, but let's say - someone who is very interested in his work and passionate about it, whatever it may be.

i think that would work for some women, but not for myself. as i am a PhD candidate, i would want to date a man with similar passions and ambitions in life. he wouldn't necessarily need to have an advanced degree either, but let's say - someone who is very interested in his work and passionate about it, whatever it may be.

I have considered pursuing a PhD in the field I did my MA in but don't think I have the talent or the interest. Thus, my MA is in many ways useless.

I am passionate about the people in my life (my friends) and passionately enjoy spending time with them and exploring life with them.

Perhaps I will one day find something I enjoy doing.

The last few years people have told me I should do voice over work because I allegedly have a good, sonorous voice but I have no idea how one starts such a thing. I mention this because it is something I could be interested in doing...potentially. Do you have any idea how one gets into voice over work (commercials, audio books, trailers, etc.)?

i guess it depends on the type of person really?

most in the western world are to into consumerism without even knowing why.

i could go into consumerism for ages and explain alot about the advertising and the shop windows and the smells pumped into shops but i wont lol guess you just need to find someone who isnt shallow!

All of us go through unemployment at some time, and many of us are going through it right now.

It all depends on how you are responding to it.

Is the man going to extraordinary lengths to get a job?

Is he reading books, taking courses, and studying to upgrade his knowledge and skills?

Is he contributing to the commmunity in other ways, such as volunteering and serving others?

shes2smart on here does voiceover work, you can talk to her.

for me though, it's really not about consumerism! i have dated all sorts of men, i just prefer guys who have drive and passion for their work. i dated a guy who was a restaurant manager for olive garden. he only finished high school. but i really liked his passion and zeal for managing the restaurant and making the customers happy and making sure that the restaurant was running well. that was attractive to me.

of course, lots of people hate their jobs and as you say, do it just to get by, a necessary evil. i think you can find a woman more in line with that thinking.

i guess it depends on the type of person really?

most in the western world are to into consumerism without even knowing why.

i could go into consumerism for ages and explain alot about the advertising and the shop windows and the smells pumped into shops but i wont lol guess you just need to find someone who isnt shallow!

Yes. Though I think it is human nature to do so to some extent, the interpersonal human relationship is shot through with overly capitalistic, consumeristic ideas and motives. For example, I have never actually done any dating because I have found this multiple choice, shopping manner of finding someone to be offputting. You have your form to fill in and proceed to tick all the desired boxes one by one. It cheapens the human experience greatly.

European friends of mine have told me that my status is not a hindrance to finding a girlfriend but rather my state of mind which perceives it to be but I think this thread provides ample evidence to suggest that the tick list is present and it is nigh impossible to avoid it.

it's not a tick list! it's a very practical concern!!! I want a man who can support himself and our family one day. what if we have children? are we going to be living with his parents the rest of our lives? like i said, it's not a tick list. i think your friends are right, it's your state of mind.

it's not a tick list! it's a very practical concern!!! I want a man who can support himself and our family one day. what if we have children? are we going to be living with his parents the rest of our lives? like i said, it's not a tick list. i think your friends are right, it's your state of mind.

Ah, but what my friends mean is that my unemployment is no hindrance to finding a girlfriend.

I think it is all very reasonable but it is true that in the end a boyfriend/husband is just another occupation to filled if one meets the criteria, failing that one does not get the job or if performance is poor, he will be fired. That is human nature. An ex-gf of mine ended our relationship by telling me that she had calculated the cost-benefit ratio of the relationship and that I was more cost than benefit to her and whilst her diction appears to be a bit cold and calculating, ultimately it is how we think, be it a job, a friendship or even a relationship; we assess the good points, the bad points, weigh out the costs and the losses just as we do when buying any product; people and boyfriends are no different. This is a product of our evolution and cannot be mitigated. Despite this, it saddens me but that is most likely just the wistful and boyish yearning of a child in me, who in part never died.

It's weird as I have never enjoyed any work I have ever done, always just a means to survival. Even now I hope to find a job in order to find a woman and less because I am thrilled by the prospects of working.....I view work as a necessary evil more than anything else.

I think this may stray women from dating you more than being unemployed.

so, let's talk about your MA. what field is it in and can you get a job with it?

Sadly no. I did an MA in (theoretical) linguistics with a concentration in syntax. It sounds nice I suppose but has no direct applications, save academic ones.

My working background is in education (I have taught EFL for years) and I speak fluent French and German and have been looking for work in language pedagogy and though I have not yet applied to anything in that sector the tourism industry is of interest to me, as I think I could bring my language skills to bear there.

Academic degrees of my sort are rarely of any direct use.

Really??? I have enjoyed every job I have ever had.

I am not in my dream job. I would love to have gone to law school and been a lawyer. None the less, I have loved every moment of every job I have ever done. Life is too short to not enjoy it !!!

You think? How so?

The vast majority of people do not love their work and merely engage in it as a means to an end; rare and blessed are those who have the fortune to do something they enjoy.

Archived