She was violated, so they got violated.

Russ

The story is that a good friend's girlfriend went to a work party. She was coming back at about 1 AM in the morning, with a friend, and a car started following them. The friend thought it was following him, so he ran into a housing compound and they went after him. The girl just started walking a little faster. Later, she heard a yell that they're coming after her. They rolled up and started following her, shouting some things I couldn't even type because every time I think of it, I get into a rage.

Anyway, they eventually left her alone, but she was so scared. Like, traumatized. She tried to call her boyfriend, but he had his phone off, so she called me right away, knowing that Im best friends with him. I picked her up, walked her home, and told her not to worry.

We found the three guys who were in the car. We went and, not to be graphic, hurt them.

Now, every time I think we did something wrong, I think about the face of my friend's girlfriend. She was, and I cant accentuate it enough, TERRIFIED. She's still paranoid, wont walk in alone at night, and jumps when she hears cars. She's traumatized. Although I know it's not right to play God, I still think we did the right thing. That's three less potential rapists, and we threatened that if we heard anything that involves them again, we'd come hurt them worse. Ofcourse, we're not criminals, and better yet, we're smart. But the fear will keep three more sleazebags intact.

This was more of a vent. If you wish to comment, please do. We did the right thing, in my opinion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that vigilante justice isn't always the best thing to do, and while it is rather heroic and the stuff that hollywood wants us to look up to, it can be detrimental. Violence begets violence. If you did something like that in the US and it was reported, you could and would be prosecuted for it. The law does not often vindicate citizens who take the law into their own hands, unless in cases of direct self-defense.

It's good that you care so much for the girl, but realize that you put yourself in danger not only with these guys and whatever other friends they might have, but also with the law, when it should really be THOSE GUYS that are in trouble with the law. So just be careful.

Goodness, Im starting to feel like Im describing the Godfather, though its not like that at all.

Im not justifying all of our actions, but 6 months in jail would not have taught them much. More so, since they only threatened her, they wouldnt get anything more than a slap on the wrist. Much more so, anyone going into jail is just more likely to commit said previous crime. I think it was more of a 'nipping in the bud' kind of thing. After all, we've shown them the consequences for doing things like this. Unless they're utterly stupid, it's basic human psychology to avoid pain.

Although it didn't happen here the potential for serious trouble was there - someone could have been seriously injured and/or killed. And that could mean serious prison time.

Another problem is that violence begets violence and revenge can be a two way street.

Not to mention, posting about it in public and bragging probably isn't such a wise idea. You never know if one of the members or guests just happens to be on the Vancouver police force.

Thanks, but it wasn't a brag by any means. I just use this forum as means of venting about anything in my life. When I was venting about how my relationship with my girlfriend is being ruined by her best friend who also has a thing for me, would you consider that bragging?

Venting on the internet is the best I can do.

I think his heart was in the right place but I can't condone what he did. It would be quite different if he beat them up to ward off an attack but that's not what happened.

But you are right, brag was too strong of a statement. So I take that back. I would just not advise being too open in public about it.

Every time I think about this, I think of her face. How terrified she was. I know two wrongs dont make a right, and such, but this literally one of those unexplainable things that, although cant be condoned, did have to happen.

The things they said to her put me in a rage. Treating her like a piece of meat.

And as far as everyone's suggestion of the police, I live in the city with the world famous RCMP. The imbeciles who, unjustified, tazered a Polish man to death. He stopped at this airport instead of a closer one so his mother could take the 6 hour drive and show him the beauty of our province. How sick is that? Much of the community in Vancouver really does not take the RCMP seriously. Afterall, a cop is a job you receive after you flunk highschool.

Yes, but I think what is being missed here is that they never touched her. Sure they scared her and there was an "implied threat" of violence. They may have been just messing around. It doesn't mean that what they did isn't harassment, but they didn't cause her bodily harm. Yet the OP beat them up for it. Doesn't sound to me like the punishment fits the crime.

I second the motion that when a crime is committed, such as what the OP has done, he shouldn't be talking or posting about it. All it takes is for one connection to be made and the OP will find himself in a police station in a lineup, looking at legal problems and jail time.

I know I'm gonna get ragged on but I think the OP did the right thing.

I don't call it heroic. But I think those guys will DEFINATLY think a few more times before they try to go preying on innocent young girls.

If they did something the justice may not have even caught them. Who knows what they wanted to do to the girl?

*shudder*

Aww man.. The thoughts I'm getting are scary but let's make it short: they could have also ended up killing her too, beating her up or some other worse things "for fun".

Who knows.

But I think those guys will DEFINATLY think a few more times before they try to go preying on innocent young girls.

Typically bullies/thugs don't work like that. They don't learn the lesson you think they learn. They learn what not to do next time. Like don't let their victim get away next time, like don't hang around the scene, like carry weapons in case someone stronger confronts them, like threaten their victim if they tell anyone about the incident, like "we didn't scare her enough"..

The lessons you think are learnt are often not.

Dako said it best. They may only have gotten not much more than a slap on the wrist and minor misdemeanor by taking them to the cops but they would have gotten on record and would have been hampered by that for at least a few years. Not to mention they may have been exposed to some education about violence against women.

I've had some chances to dole out justice, but I thank fate for keeping me from the final solution. Three times I was soooo close to doing something that would warrant major jailtime. It's something to consider.

I hope the OP considers his fate if those RCMP imbeciles were on his trail.

Judges aren't your friends.

You're right Melrich. You're right. Criminals usually do learn what not to do next time sadly. Most people doing something wrong (who want to continue doing it) do this. So it must be true.

I also understand the urge to handle the situation yourself BUT then you have to wonder, what makes you different from them?

What if their friends come after you, jump you, and justify their actions by saying "you should have looked at my friend's face after "Russ" pounded on him"??

Actually I don't see Russ as "same as them" b/c he had a reason to attack them.

They didn't have a reason to try and attack the girl. She never threatened them nor did she try and scare them or go after them.

True though that his friends may try and re taliate.

Russ be carefull now.

I know I'm gonna get ragged on but I think the OP did the right thing.

I don't call it heroic. But I think those guys will DEFINATLY think a few more times before they try to go preying on innocent young girls.

If they did something the justice may not have even caught them. Who knows what they wanted to do to the girl?

*shudder*

Aww man.. The thoughts I'm getting are scary but let's make it short: they could have also ended up killing her too, beating her up or some other worse things "for fun".

Who knows.

Alright, let me clarify it. They wanted to rape her. If she didnt take out the phone, they probably would have.

True though that his friends may try and re taliate.

Russ be carefull now.

Beating on people isnt something I do. At all.

I'm a good kid. I've got excellent grades. And I've got money.

That third sentence is the key. Im not a gangster, I dont live in a ghetto, and I hate the way this sounds, like a goddamn movie, but if they bother looking me up, they'll know I have money and am willing to use that money. It's a fact that's been proven so many times.

No reason to be afraid whatsoever.

And in the end, it's worth it to protect her. Someone I've known this long, she's like a sister. I doubt 1% of the posters would go to the police if an immediate family member was raped and you knew the people that had something to do with it.

I'm a good kid. I've got excellent grades. And I've got money.

That third sentence is the key. Im not a gangster, I dont live in a ghetto, and I hate the way this sounds, like a goddamn movie, but if they bother looking me up, they'll know I have money and am willing to use that money. It's a fact that's been proven so many times.

No reason to be afraid whatsoever.

If those individuals that you beat up chose to report you to the police, you would be prosecuted just like any other criminal. Do you think that the fact that you (or your parents) have money or you get good grades makes any difference? Violence is violence and while the people who resort to it is not all the same, unfortunately the punishment conferred upon them is the same. Think twice next time.

I think the girl is the one who loses out the most here, because even though you did the "right" thing, she's still terrified, and even if she wants to report their threats to the police, she would probably be hesitant to do so, because they could report you in turn.

I'm not saying I don't respect a guy standing up for someone, but I think it's clear that it wasn't the best choice. Maybe you won't suffer the consequences this time, but just be careful because next time you might not be so lucky.

Right or wrong, it's over and you can't change it. I don't know that you'd be asking for others' opinions on it if you either didn't have doubts yourself or want some kind of confirmation of the rightness of your actions from others in order to feel good about it. I don't know, I"m just some lady on the internet.

The thing you have to remember about these people, though, is what I think Melrich said - they just learn. But not what we think they should learn. That's what *we* would learn, but that's not the lesson they would take from that thrashing.

Now why is that, you may wonder? It's because they do not think like you do. They do not think in terms or right or wrong, moral or immoral. People are not people to them, they are things, ways to get what they want, objects to feel more powerful than or better than. These folks who are able to do these things don't have a moral compass like you or others do. They can rape, they can kill, they can do the unthinkable, because to them, it's not unthinkable. For whatever reason.

Beating them up is not harsh enough. It is just one night, maybe a few days of pain, maybe a dent on their pride. But that doesn't last. What does last? What is less fleeting than bruises? A record for one. Jailtime for another. Not that they would have gotten them, but Dako was right, they would be on police radar. Good luck getting a job with that kind of stuff on your record. And have fun in court when you slap a woman around because they're objects to you, you're passionately pleading your innocence and the judge notices you've got a history and soon you're listening to the prosecutor arguing for a tougher sentence b/c you're a repeat offender, a threat to society. And that is something that lasts a lot longer than some bruises.

I know that what they did sends you into a rage; it would do that to me too if I were in your shoes. But you have to be smarter than these people - introduce lasting consequences into their lives. If you can do that, then you really *can* get one or more rapists off the streets and maybe really have a chance at saving someone.

Archived