Guys: How do you feel when a girl initiates a date?

marthamydear

Guys,

In the early stages of dating, do you prefer to be the initiator? It seems like the typical pattern is that the guy asks out the girl and plans the dates in the beginning. When does it become ok for the girl to ask out the guy?

I’ve been out on 2 dates with a guy so far, and he’s been the one who’s planned the date/paid/driven me around/etc. I’m thinking I should call and ask him out for the 3rd date, but I don’t want to come off as too eager or available. I admit, I do like to be chased a little, or at least see that the guy is willing to put forth a genuine effort to see me.

What do you think? Should I ask him out?

Why do some guys have a problem with it? Does it make the girl seem too eager or undesirable? Does the guy feel emasculated if he's not doing a bit of chasing?

Some guys are very old-fashioned and view women initiating dates as an insult to their gender-roles. These guys are really NOT what you'd want to date in the first place, so just ignore them. Largely though, guys ask out women because they are willing to initiate whereas women generally don't because they know us guys will do it for them.

I think he'd be flattered and likely would say yes but it might upset the often fragile dynamic of early dating where the man often seems more comfortable in initiating the first number of dates and might be put off by it - and even surprised at being put off but yet, put off. A risk, for sure. I would wait a few more dates, but that's just me.

They would not be put off in that sense - they would be put off as far as the dynamic being shifted to an uncomfortable place. Many men feel more comfortable being the main person to do the asking in the very beginning so when the woman takes that away from him that can be a turn off. A woman saying how much she enjoys the time they spend together is great and essential at times to signal continued interest - but letting the man do more of the asking in the beginning stages of dating - where a potentially serious relationship is a goal - is probably a better idea.

I disagree. Any man who would be turned off by a woman taking initiative in the beginning is a complete * * * * * * * .

I have the intention of asking out a man in the next week. But, what if he isn't attracted? He has winked at me and gave me the eyebrow flash, but other than that, we don't really talk. We work in the same business but at different places. Only see him about 1 a week. Whats in a wink?

I disagree. Any man who would be turned off by a woman taking initiative in the beginning is a complete * * * * * * * .

People who feel that way shouldn't date men who would be turned off, then. I don't think men are turned off by women taking the initiative in the beginning, but when it comes to asking out for dates and planning date in my collective experience men who are looking for a serious relationship as opposed to a casual fling feel most comfortabl ehwen they do more of the asking in the beginning, especially the first few dates. I did my share of asking out and spoke to many men over the years who had been asked out - typically they were flattered and typically it took the wind out of their sails as far as continued motivation to date the woman if it was done in the beginning especially if it was more than once. Of course if the woman would not date a man who wants to be the one to do more of the asking, then she should look for someone who doesn't feel that way. Most women I know and know of don't feel that strongly about it and would much rather find a good match for the long term than forego an opportunity to date a man just because he feels more comfortable doing more of the asking in the beginning.

People who feel that way shouldn't date men who would be turned off, then. I don't think men are turned off by women taking the initiative in the beginning, but when it comes to asking out for dates and planning date in my collective experience men who are looking for a serious relationship as opposed to a casual fling feel most comfortabl ehwen they do more of the asking in the beginning, especially the first few dates.

This makes absolutely no sense. There is no sane reasoning for this to make a man uncomfortable.

Archived