I love my husband. He has been nothing but wonderful. He has supported me in all my crazy behavior, even through my weight gain lossof libido and my now new found way of eating and wonderful weight loss.

As much as I love him, he loves me more. I can’t begin to match the love and affection he gives me.

I feel like I should love him more and he deserves so much better. I know there is a woman out there that can give him what he needs, wants and deserves.

SO how do I ask him for a divorce? It’s going to break his heart, but I know it would be better for him. We have only been married a year, but I think we may have rushed things and I feel he needs more love than I will ever be able to offer him.

yes. I get so sad when he tells me how much he loves me. because I know I just don't love him as much as i should

it feels like a brick on my chest. I hide in the bathroom and just cry sometimes. It breaks my heart, but I know he should have someone that really loves him the way he deserves

I read some of your previous threads. You have felt this way more or less since the wedding.

In my opinion, this isn't about him nor is it about the relationship per se.

This is about you.

I strongly urge you to seek good, professional counselling as a matter of priority. There is something going on inside that needs attention and you should do that before you do something that could make you even more sad and unhappy than you are now.

How would YOU feel if you divorced? It sounds to me like you're making a sacrifice because you think your husband is worth more, that your love somehow isn't enough. That to me sounds almost like a crazy statement of love, rather than the opposite. Mixed up and not useful or positive, but still a declaration of love.

I think you also sound a wee bit depressed - you sound like you've had a rough time; do you think this may be affecting your thinking? I just worry that you are not making a sensible decision that you really believe in, but is a reaction to something else.

What's going on in your life RIGHT NOW?

Loving is giving and if you love him, and you continue to give to him even when you don't "feel like it" it is possible your love will grow. A wise religious woman once told me - if you get up in the morning in a bad mood and you feel like you don't love your spouse, that is the time to make his favorite breakfast. The act of doing that - even if you don't feel like it or feel inspired to do so - can inspire love.

My guess is you were expecting the whirlwind courtship thrill to last - for some it does (good for them!) and for others love mellows a bit and you have to work a bit at sparking things - or work more than a bit. He deserves love you are right but he also deserves that the woman who took those vows for better or for worse would work her behind off re-sparking or re-energizing the marriage if things got stale. What about you give yourself a year where you do all that giving and also go see a marriage counselor and only then "give up."

Sounds like you are focusing on love as a feeling over love as giving.

Having a good man doesn't mean that you love that man. I have dated and been involved with good men who didn't do it for me - for whatever reason. Not everyone is a match for everyone else even if they are very good people. What messes things up more is marrying someone because he or she is good even if you don't love them. Here, the OP does love him she just is doing some soul searching.

Hmm. My guess is that you would split up and then realise the dire state of most men and want to get back with him.

Maybe you should talk to him about this and try to resolve it before you think about splitting. Maybe he is becoming too reliant on you for happiness and he can fix it.

I love my husband. He has been nothing but wonderful. He has supported me in all my crazy behavior, even through my weight gain lossof libido and my now new found way of eating and wonderful weight loss.

As much as I love him, he loves me more. I can’t begin to match the love and affection he gives me.

I feel like I should love him more and he deserves so much better. I know there is a woman out there that can give him what he needs, wants and deserves.

SO how do I ask him for a divorce? It’s going to break his heart, but I know it would be better for him. We have only been married a year, but I think we may have rushed things and I feel he needs more love than I will ever be able to offer him.

I don't think ANYONE here can tell you what to do, or not do.

But I will say that what we "idealize" as love is not what real love is about. Real love is not just feeling, it is action. More importantly, it is loving actions and behaviours even when we are not "feeling" it so much.

It is through giving, and loving and caring about the other person, that love grows...it is not just about what "they can do for us", but what we do for them....

Ultimately though, it is in your heart what you want to do. Good luck; but I do say that since you did make a commitment to him, that you need to make darned sure you have exhausted all other options - including counselling both for yourself and together - first.

To follow up on what RayKay said and I said about loving as giving - "faking it" is often the path to making it real again. Faking it by doing nice/kind things for him might feel empty at first, fake, weird but there might come a time where you feel "hmmm - seeing him smile/laugh/be happy was kind of cool!" If that doesn't happen - no harm done - you tried and he benefited from your loving actions.

And I totally agree with the counseling idea - particularly since I bet your daughter is now attached to him and this new way of life - exhaust all options and good luck.