email as the cover letter?

i am not sure what the best way to handle applying online to job postings that require a cover letter in addition to the resume.

what i don't understand is this: can i use the email itself as the cover letter or is that a no-no with regards to applying for a position?

if it's not advisable, then what do i say in the email?

i think it's rather redundant to apply online for a position via email only to include 2 attachments (cover letter and resume). why can't i just use the body of the email as the cover letter?

thanks in advance.

It seems to me, that in this day and age, an e-mail cover letter would be perfectly fine.

Afterall, it's the information that counts... not the form it came in.

Some it seems fear attachments because they are worried about attached viruses.

Many e-mail services seem to be on top of this though.

Hey, I'd go ahead and send it.

Maybe put the cover in the body of the e-mail, why not?

Good luck

Jeff

thanks for the responses!

so if the job posting didn't specifically request to attach a cover letter then i'll use the email as one.

but what if the posting actually requests both a resume and cover letter attached, what should i say in the email?

something like this?

"i am submitting my cover letter and resume for the available position that was posted in <__> on .

thank you for your consideration."

thanks for the responses!

so if the job posting didn't specifically request to attach a cover letter then i'll use the email as one.

but what if the posting actually requests both a resume and cover letter attached, what should i say in the email?

something like this?

"i am submitting my cover letter and resume for the available position that was posted in <__> on .

thank you for your consideration."

Use the email to make reference to the position in which you are seeking.

Dear Sirs:

Please find attached my Cover Letter and Resume for the________ position with your company.

Sincerely,

DJ

I disagree with that e-mail as it is not proper to capitalize cover letter or resume. I am being nitpicky because many employers are extremely nitpicky and will trash a resume or application for the tiniest of errors, particularly if the position requires proper grammar/spelling.

I always attach a cover letter and resume separately; many of them print off the attachments and that looks much better than the emails in terms of formatting and is more consistent. It is also more likely to be read too if it is separate in case it is forwarded or just printed off.

In the email I always do as RelationshipCoach wrote above, or at least along those lines.

I also recommend always attaching cover letters; even if not requested. I used to be involved in helping select resumes to call people in for interviews in one of my past jobs, and almost without question those whom did not supply a cover letter to show why they wanted THIS job or to add further details did not get called for an interview.

I will also say I would not be as impressed with a cover letter in an email as a separate one, mainly as they will not be consistent with the resume, be formatted as nicely and often are not as readable as just opening a word document would be.

I just wanted to add something to what Raykay has written. She said always attach a Cover Letter to your Resume even if not requested. My dad helped screen people for employement and he said he always looks for prospective employees who do something extra. My dad is fond of saying, "The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is the little extra." Including a Cover Letter shows that you are someone who is willing to take the extra step, not just do the minimum, but go to the max and beyond.

Also along those lines your prospective employer will like that you have taken the time to type and properly format your Cover Letter to make it easier for them to read. Dad always tells me to use Times New Roman font when applying for a job. He once got an unreadable font Cover Letter.

I also wanted to add to have someone else read your Cover Letter and Resume to make sure you have proper grammer and correct spelling. They also could tell you some things you need to add to make yourself more impressive for your prospective employer.

Good Luck and I hope you get the job.

I would add that I don't like to see the same information in a resume in a cover letter and I don't like to see the variations of how this job will help you further your career or be rewarding or fulfilling for you. I want to hear what you can contribute to the company.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who screens resumes, I have the following advice:

The most important thing is to write clearly and articulately, without spelling or grammar errors. Your cover letter is an opportunity for you to sell yourself in a way that your resume alone might not be able to do. If the position requires someone with a brain, then you are at an advantage if you can show that you have one by writing a polite and professional cover letter. If the employer has advertised certain hours, and those hours fit with your own needs, you can mention your specific availability for those hours. If they are looking for certain skills, you can briefly reiterate them in the cover letter. If you see other things in the job description that make you think that you are an ideal candidate, the cover letter is an excellent opportunity for you to convey that information. You are starting a dialogue with the employer that hopefully will lead to future discussions.

I have accepted cover letters that were attachments and cover letters that were in the body of the email, as long as they were written well.

One advantage of writing a separate attachment cover letter is that you can show off your writing skills a tiny bit more. Use proper formatting and the spell checker and realize that you are producing a writing sample for the employer to review. It can definitely work in your favor if you are a good writer.

Good luck!

People pay me to write resumes and cover letters for them.

Everyone has already told you what you need to know, except about the attatchments.

I don't think you should send attachments because no one ever opens them. If they do open them, they're not the shiniest coin in the pile because attachments often hold viruses and you could inadvertantly send them a virus through an attachment. Send your resume and cover letter in the email and make sure it's formatted consistently. There are no real tricks to formatting except that it needs to be consistent.

I work as a recruiter and I find that a good deal of people do use the email as their cover letter. However, these individuals are applying for technical jobs where their writing skills are less important. But I find this to be completely appropriate.

Personally, I use the email as a mini-cover letter. I address the person I'm sending it to, explain the reason/position for the email, and use it as an opportunity to once again include my contact information. However, the real cover letter is an opportunity to present my abilities to write a neat looking cover letter. (Emails get messed up when they are sent to various places.) Rather making two attachements, I send the cover letter/resume as one. Page 1 is the cover letter, page 2 starts the resume.

So, I believe either way to be acceptable.