Hair Falling Out

This happened to me last year - for about a month - and I think it was called 'telogen effluvium'. This is the bit about it from the BBC website:

It lasted about three months, and then I had loads of tiny baby hairs growing in! My hair felt a bit thinner to me, but no one else noticed. But yes, it seemed to pour out in the shower. I made myself NOT panic about it, and to not keep tugging through my hair. That seemed to help. And I started to take perfectil, which really helped as well.

It could also be the thyroid as well - if it's very bad, check it out with your doctor. But honestly, I was panicking like crazy about it, and it stopped like all the websites said it would of its own accord, and that was that. Mine came about after a month of being really ill, and stressed, and I think that triggered it.

Let me know if you want some of the URLs of the websites I looked at - they helped me to relax last year!

Take care.

Hair works in three stages; growth (Anagen stage), transition (Catagen stage) and then falling out (Telogen or resting stage). Then new hair growth starts over again.

Whats the condition of your hair like? If it's brittle/dry, its likely that you need some more protein/fats in your diet.

Do you flat iron/vigoriously brush your hair? This can cause alot of stress to the hair follicle.

While it could be thyroid/stress related, I'm more inclined to think its just the hair in the shedding stage, all the same it couldnt hurt to improve your diet and see your GP. Hope this helps! x

Hey Hazeleyed,

This happened to me too a while back; I was very scared bc what seemed like clumps of hair fell out every day when I washed my hair.

BUT, once the stress factor was removed, my hair stopped falling out so much.

Nonetheless, as DYT suggested above, please do consider getting your thyroids checked.

Take care and good luck!

ps. Thank you Honey Pumpkin for that info on "telogen effluvium"!

A certain amount of hair falling out on a daily basis is normal. That's just your body doing its thing. Judging by the amount I sweep up off the bathroom floor on a daily basis, you'd think I was going bald.

If it's to the point where you are developing noticeable thinning or bald spots on your head, you will probably want to consult a doctor.

Hair works in three stages; growth (Anagen stage), transition (Catagen stage) and then falling out (Telogen or resting stage). Then new hair growth starts over again.

Whats the condition of your hair like? If it's brittle/dry, its likely that you need some more protein/fats in your diet.

Do you flat iron/vigoriously brush your hair? This can cause alot of stress to the hair follicle.

While it could be thyroid/stress related, I'm more inclined to think its just the hair in the shedding stage, all the same it couldnt hurt to improve your diet and see your GP. Hope this helps! x

Hi , thank you for your reply. I dont iron my hair at all. I do have curly hair which I sometimes have to vigoriously brush out because of all the tangles. I have been stressed out for the past month but before this I have been stressed out as well and this has never happened. thereforeeee I am not really sure what it is. I did have my hair highlighted but then again I had them highligted before too. THis is the first time I am getting chunks of hair come out. While braiding my hair I noticed that my braid was thin too...

It's probably the stress.

Take the time to relax each day.

Sit back with some incense and read a book or have a nice long bath.

What is it you're stressed about?

Thank you for the reply. I am in univrsity so the whole stress of grad school has come...plus i never get any time off anymore...its one after the other...nuting ever slows down or stops

I agree with john...

Also, is the weather getting warm where you are? because you lose hair when it gets hot.

I would say it is stress tho, or poor diet, you need to keep up your nutrients intake in order for your hair to be healthy

Hi , the weather is cold but it might be due to poor diet....maybe...

Get your thyroid checked girl....I had this happen too, and I thought it was just all the stress that was going on...

Yeah, if it doesnt stop I will get some tests done. I heard it might be due to some vitamins missing in my system as well...however, i wont know anything till I get myself tested.

Hey Hazeleyed,

This happened to me too a while back; I was very scared bc what seemed like clumps of hair fell out every day when I washed my hair.

BUT, once the stress factor was removed, my hair stopped falling out so much.

Nonetheless, as DYT suggested above, please do consider getting your thyroids checked.

Take care and good luck!

ps. Thank you Honey Pumpkin for that info on "telogen effluvium"!

Thank you Ellie2006

A certain amount of hair falling out on a daily basis is normal. That's just your body doing its thing. Judging by the amount I sweep up off the bathroom floor on a daily basis, you'd think I was going bald.

If it's to the point where you are developing noticeable thinning or bald spots on your head, you will probably want to consult a doctor.

hey, yeah i lose that amount of hair everyday but htis is like chunks coming out ....i have nevr had that happen to me before so I was freaking out ...

How are your eating habits?

A deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals can cause your hair to thin and fall out.

Do you eat regularly?

During school it depends when I eat...sometimes i eat really early, somedays nothing at all till the night. It varies from time to time.

When was the last time you had a complete physical?

If it has been a while (more than a year), please consider getting checked out by a doctor before trying any of the do-it-yourself suggestions. Excessive hair loss can be a symptom of different illnesses. While some of the suggestions *may* help with the hair issue, I doubt they'd help with treating a potential underlying illness.

Now, chances are good that you're healthy. If it was me, though, I'd want to go get checked out and make sure first.