I suck at guitar, too... :(

I've been listening for a few days, and I'm starting to realize how badly I really suck at guitar. I'll never even come within 4000 miles of being close to the greats. I've tried lessons, but they infact, made me a lot worse at guitar. I'm not just saying this for sympathy... just listen to my crappy videos . I'm pretty much convinced that God hates my guts, and he was angry at Satan for convincing humans to create Meth labs, so I was the result of that anger.

Dammit... I miss the pot... it's the only thing that made me kind of decent at guitar.

Dammit... I miss the pot... it's the only thing that made me kind of decent at guitar.

Didn't listen to your attachments, so I don't know if you're awfull as you say you are, and I am completely stupid when it comes to music

but just about the pot - maybe you sounded great to yourself because you were high?

How much do you practice? I mean.. unless you've been practicing 10 hours a day without any improvement, you can't really say definitively that you suck at guitar. If you seriously want to become a great guitarist, put in the time and practice. Make guitar your life. Becoming great isn't an overnight thing. It takes time, dedication, and effort. You have to really, really want it.

How much do you practice? I mean.. unless you've been practicing 10 hours a day without any improvement, you can't really say definitively that you suck at guitar. If you seriously want to become a great guitarist, put in the time and practice. Make guitar your life. Becoming great isn't an overnight thing. It takes time, dedication, and effort. You have to really, really want it.

10 hours? Jesus... that would fry my hands and my brain to no end. I would make guitar my life, but I have other commitments I must tend to first, because I've played enough to the point where I both SUCK and have a whole bunch of my development retarted greatly. I practice whenever I can, but doing so by myself all day gets soooooooooooooooooo boring... I need to have other musicians around because that's how I hear music... Too bad most other musicians don't even wanna jam anyways.

10 hours? Jesus... that would fry my hands and my brain to no end. I would make guitar my life, but I have other commitments I must tend to first, because I've played enough to the point where I both SUCK and have a whole bunch of my development retarted greatly. I practice whenever I can, but doing so by myself all day gets soooooooooooooooooo boring... I need to have other musicians around because that's how I hear music... Too bad most other musicians don't even wanna jam anyways.

Thats your reason why you suck.

You can't become the best one if you're not prepared to make sacrifices, to go to sccool for gutiar, to educate yourself.

If you were interested enough you would be in academy for music right now.

Since you're not make it a hobby of yours.

Sucess is 10% of talent and 90% of hard work. Thats the first thing they say to you in professional orientation.

Thats your reason why you suck.

You can't become the best one if you're not prepared to make sacrifices, to go to sccool for gutiar, to educate yourself.

If you were interested enough you would be in academy for music right now.

Since you're not make it a hobby of yours.

Sucess is 10% of talent and 90% of hard work. Thats the first thing they say to you in professional orientation.

Going to school to play guitar is great for some people... but really, for the most part, that's for those who want to play exactly like somebody else; unless you're extremely talented in the first place. I've tried taking lessons, and I was the worst in the whole class; I couldn't do a damn thing. I, in fact, develop a lot more confidence when I don't have some pompous douchebag telling me how badly I suck and criticising everything from how to pick the notes to how I can't have my own style because I suck and I'm an "amateur". I have no left-brain ability whatsoever, and for that I'm screwed. I'm going to stick with guitar because if I don't, I'm screwed. It's the only thing I suck less than everything else at. Oh well, suicide is always an option.

Oh, well, you could take lessons somewhere nicer.

Don't make excuses, it's not for people who want to play like someone else. You have even schools for jazz. And to be able to improvise good I bet you need to know the basics and boring stuff perfectly. It's the same thing as in art - an artist learns how to paint and after that he can improvise.

If you feel suicide is always an option I am done with this thread.

Oh, well, you could take lessons somewhere nicer.

Don't make excuses, it's not for people who want to play like someone else. You have even schools for jazz. And to be able to improvise good I bet you need to know the basics and boring stuff perfectly. It's the same thing as in art - an artist learns how to paint and after that he can improvise.

If you feel suicide is always an option I am done with this thread.

Excuses? You HAVE to take lessons to be great!? Fine, but tell that to Hendrix, Wes Montgomery, or The Beatles; only three examples. In fact tell that to Beethoven. His music teacher told him that as a composer, he was hopeless. Sure, they're not everyone, but they're some of the people I personally look up to. Others I admire have taken lessons, and that's what they're good at, but I, personally have other ways of doing things. I must be one of those weirdos who take the "road less traveled".

I'm decent at guitar.

I got that way through constant practise (Atleast 3 hours a day, on some occasions I managed 8), having a good teacher, researching techniques and styles on the internet, learning HEAPS of songs (I have around 200 memorised) and listening to a lot of music, listening to the dynamics, way things are set out and use of scales, etc.

I've been playing for two years, I've gotten good because of dedication.

If you want to get good you NEED to be completely dedicated.

I even stretch my fingers and do finger excercise while I'm at school, out with friends or anything.

The musicians I know practice constantly - I mean, ALL THE TIME. They took lessons. Music is their life. They spend hours and hours practising. It's not something you just pick up and you're great at. Every single gifted performer practises and hones their talent. Not quite sure what you're saying, that you think it should just 'come' to you?

As for Beethoven, well of course the guy studied!!

"Beethoven's first music teacher was his father.... His first important teacher was Christian Gottlob Neefe. Beethoven moved to Vienna in 1792, where he studied for a time with Joseph Haydn, though he had wanted to study with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who had died the previous year. He received additional instruction from Johann Georg Albrechtsberger (Vienna's preeminent counterpoint instructor), and Antonio Salieri."

So go on, give it a go, do some practice and take lessons - you could be a genius!!!!

I'm not a guitarist, I'm an electric bassist and you're not that bad at guitar. Your problem might simply be your approach to pratice. When you pratice it's vital that you don't mess around playing lines that you know over and over again. Try new and increasingly difficult work. Theory is a must for music, perhaps you allready know theory but if not then I promise you that if you learn theory you'll do much better.

Oh, that is a big one but pot most certainly will not make you better at guitar at all.

Your songs sound very nice, and believe me, if they didn't I'd rather say nothing at all.

But I'm sure that my, or anyone else's opinion, doesn't matter that much. Why? Because YOU have to be happy with the way you play. I understand that.

I play guitar as well, and I know how it is to get stuck in a rut. I'd consider myself to be an intermediate player. I do have a teacher, which helps. What works best for me is learning new songs that I really like-- the songs themselves are motivators for me to learn, practice, and play. It's especially useful when you find a song that you really want to learn how to play that ALSO includes a new skill that you're working on (in order to play the song, you must know that skill).

As for jamming with other musicians, there are a few guitar forums out there on the internet, maybe you can hunt some people down over there? Or put an ad up in craigslist? I dunno, but the net is a good way to meet up with other musicians who also want to meet people to jam with.

Good luck, and I'm still enjoying listening to your songs

I have played several instruments - not guitar though - and you really do have to practice. I would also recommend lessons - once you are REALLY good you might not need them as much - but right now you need someone you give you drills, tell you what you're doing wrong, what you're doing right, etc ...

Practice - I would try for at least 3 hours a day, if you want to get really good. Not just grooving around - repeating things over and over again until you get them right, doing "drill type" exercises, then moving on to harder stuff.

No CG, I think you are just a little camera shy maybe. I like the licks and you are VERY accomplished, especially for one so young. (Maybe just a little nervous, that's all, I get the same way when recording.)

I especially liked those fancy licks about 3/4 of the way through, and that's coming from someone who has played for 33 years.

Just keep doing what you're doing bud, it sounds great!

Jeff