I So Badly Want to be Super Skinny...:[

hey all,

maybe this is just really shallow of me...but i wish i was one of those girls who wore a size 0 and had absolutely no fat on them. i wish i was one of those girls who could wear anything and not have visible fat on any part of my body.

i'm 16 and i struggled with my weight when i was younger, i was overweight as a child and got active when i got into my teens and now i'm 'average'. i'm about 5'5" and i wear a pant size 9. i don't have an eating disorder, but i've thought about it so much. i haven't eaten anything in 2 days...i need help, but i so badly want to be a stick thin girl...i don't know what to do....

hey all,

maybe this is just really shallow of me...but i wish i was one of those girls who wore a size 0 and had absolutely no fat on them. i wish i was one of those girls who could wear anything and not have visible fat on any part of my body.

i'm 16 and i struggled with my weight when i was younger, i was overweight as a child and got active when i got into my teens and now i'm 'average'. i'm about 5'5" and i wear a pant size 9. i don't have an eating disorder, but i've thought about it so much. i haven't eaten anything in 2 days...i need help, but i so badly want to be a stick thin girl...i don't know what to do....

What is your diet like? What is your exercise regime like?

What is your diet like? What is your exercise regime like?

i exercise 6 days a week because i am in tennis. we usually do cardio 3 times a week and weight lifting 2 times a week, and then on the weekends i play tennis.

i consider my diet healthy...i stay away from junk food, i eat in moderation and have plenty of fruit and veggies. i've tried to diet healthy. often times when i starve myself, i end up binge eating A LOT.

i exercise 6 days a week because i am in tennis. we usually do cardio 3 times a week and weight lifting 2 times a week, and then on the weekends i play tennis.

i consider my diet healthy...i stay away from junk food, i eat in moderation and have plenty of fruit and veggies. i've tried to diet healthy. often times when i starve myself, i end up binge eating A LOT.

It sounds like you are pretty healthy!

You know, I know this is no consolation, but when I was a teenager, I did lots and lots of competitive sports, and I ate pretty well too... but I'm smaller know that I'm 29, i was still quite small when I was 16/17(still doing lots of sports and eating well) but am thinner now. Maybe it something to do with hormones..

I will never be the size zero. I'm sure you've heard it before but all our boies are made differently and sounds like you are living a healthy lifestyle than 99% of the population with your 6 times cardio a week and good diet.

Hi and Welcome to Enotalone,

Some of us just aren't meant to be built like a waif.

I am 5'10" and weigh 173 lbs, and am a size 14. I see models on TV and in magazines and am envious, but I know that most of them are starving and unhealthy to look that way.

Our bodies are like machines- they need fuel to live, and starving your body of it's needed fuel to survive is very dangerous and unhealthy. Did you know that by starving yourself you can cause dangerous electrolyte imbalances and heart problems that can actually kill you?

Here is a recent story about a model who died as a result of starving herself to look thin. She was 21.

link removed

I am glad you are alarmed that you have been starving yourself because that is the first step to recognizing that it is a problem.

I hope that with this knowledge you will ask someone for help with it- such as a parent or your doctor.

Why do you want to look that way? It sounds like you look healthy now. If you think guys will find you more attractive take this advice from a guy... Most of us don't find stick figures attractive.

i just don't feel attractive at all...and all the guys at my school say i have a great personality, but no one will go out with me because i'm not super skinny...that's what all guys my age like...or at least it seems like it

hey all,

Setting goals for yourself and improve your health is a noble thing to do. However, when you set goals it's important to take an educated approach - especially when your health is on the line. If nobody told you already, starving yourself is not a healthy NOR effective way to lose weight.

If you've ever talked to a person who is in good, healthy shape then they would tell you that their diet is the single most important factor in maintaining a desireable weight. This means they choose to eat healthier foods instead of unhealthy ones. It's the overall effect of eating generally healthy foods (along with cardio workouts) that enable them to shape their bodies. For most people, this means cutting out all soft drinks, no fast food, avoid fried foods, watch your caloric intake, and get your heartrate up a few times a week. It's something many people struggle with and you're definitely not the first person to think that not eating will make you lose weight.

Good luck in your quest to improve yourself and your health. Please take an educated approach, so that you can do it safely.

Being super skinny, as in having 0% body fat, is extremely unhealthy. The media's representation of "beauty" is a form of brainwashing. It sounds like you are healthy as you are now. Don't blur wishful thinking with reality. Accept your body for who you are, and get to a weight that you feel comfortable at without diving into unsafe practices such as starving. People have literally died trying to be super skinny. The body suffers, even though it may appear glamorous on the outside. And everyone is different phisiologically, so it may be impossible to get to your goal because of how your body is designed.

That said, I think you should focus your attention more on your mind rather than your body. It is one thing to get in shape in order to get healthy. It's another to do it because you are insecure of your own body and want to be accepted and well-liked by others.

It is a distorted perception of self. Do you want a guy who wants you to lose weight for his own gratification? Or someone who accepts you for the person you are?

As a man, I certainly have to say I find women who are comfortable with themselves and nautral to be the most attractive.

This is not to say don't go to the gym and get healthy....

But someone who would aspire to be super skinny....to me it is a big turn off because it shows the person is uncomfortable with themselves and if they are not comfortable themselves, how could they be comfortable with anyone else.

Just be healthy and happy and you will meet the right person.

I know how the OP feels. I feel the same. I would encourage her to seek some form of counselling before it spirals out of control. Are you able to talk to your mum or someone about it?

Also, can I just say (this isn't a rant just an opinion) that telling someone with disordered eating/body perceptions to just be comfortable with themselves is like telling a cancer patient to pretend it isn't painful. And to say their thoughts and feelings about themselves is a huge turn off only inflames the feeling that they aren't good enough. Again, this isn't a criticism of any posters just a view from the other side I guess, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

I'm sure if you really want to be a size zero then you will have the strength of will to achieve your goal. Good luck!

Firstly, it is very important to continue to eat healthily, because when you reach size zero you want to be attractive, not sickly, dying or dead!!!

Secondly, tennis is an excellent exercise regime. If, however, it is not being successful in decreasing your body fat level, then you must either up the number of hours you play, or if that is not possible, then add another form of exercise to your schedule. I would suggest that it should be running as their probably isn't any better fat-burner. You may need to work up to this by starting off by just running a couple of miles a day, but what you need to aim for is between five to ten miles per day.

Now that is obviously a hell of a lot of hard work and you may be tempted by what appears to be the easier option of just not eating. But as you said yourself, that has only resulted in binge eating and probably an increase and not a decrease in weight. And if you were successful in truly not eating, you would run the risk of very serious health problems that could indeed ultimately lead to death.

Besides, you are a sportswoman and as you already know that requires a great deal of mental strength. So hopefully you will take the healthy option, work very hard and achieve your bodysize goal. Taking the exercise route will also mean that you become super-fit as well as super-skinny.

i just don't feel attractive at all...and all the guys at my school say i have a great personality, but no one will go out with me because i'm not super skinny...that's what all guys my age like...or at least it seems like it

Have they actually told you that or are you just assuming that is the reason? I think you need to change your attitude about yourself before you change your looks.

What ever happened to curves being sexy? =P Guess I'm out of the loop.

I used to have a friend like you, wanted anything to be stick thin. But you knw what, it ended up becoming more of an obsession than anything for her. She wanted so badly to be that way, that she put her body through bulimia just so she could achieve it.

In the end, size 0's are unrealistic. I'm probably one of the tiniest people I know( 103 pounds) and heck I'm still a size 3.

hey all,

Very unhealthy and unattractive When I see a super skinny girl I just wanna offer to buy them a burger.

I truly, honestly know how you feel.

When I was 15, I finally got down to a size 0. I'm 5'6".

Then my hair fell out and I grew fuzz on my body. I was so unbelievably weak. For my homecoming dress my sophmore year, I had to shop in the children's section.

Then I ended up in the hospital on IVs and stuff because I was so unhealthy and I had heart palpatations and would pass out.

This stuff happens if you stop eating...it's NOT worth it. I gained my weight back, but it was very painful. Every time I ate, I got heartburn so bad because my stomach was so full of acid since it was empty all the time. I would take a few bites of an apple and that's all I could handle, my stomach would burn and hurt for hours after.

It's unhealthy. I think it's okay to diet, as long as you don't do it the unhealthy way. If you are really uncomfortable with yourself, try cutting out ALL soda's, or all junk food and continue eating healthy stuff and being active. Join a gym. You can lose weight in a healthy way, just don't stop eating altogether. It really isn't worth it.

Starving yourself will make you retain anything that you eat.

You need carbs. (short term fuel), high protein foods (tuna/eggs) and lots of fiber along w/ a decent workout like you already do now.

Popcorn (Hot air popped) w/ no butter and just some salt or cajun seasoning is a great fiber source and makes you feel full.

hey all,

You haen't eaten anything in two days, yet you say you don't have an eating disorder. Unless you have the flu or a stomach virus, not eating for two days isn't normal or healthy. If you don't have an eating disorder now, keep up that kind of pattern and I can pretty much guarantee you'll develop one. From what you've posted, your thoughts and mindset are already heading that way.

Our body shape and size is mostly determined by genetics. While we may, with a lot of effort and potentially unhealthy practices, be able to alter it some, your body is going to fight back with everything it's got to stick to its genetic blueprint. That means if you're not eating enough, your body will automatically slow its metabolism. Did you know that reduced-calorie weight loss diets, over time, tend to make people gain MORE weight than if they'd just eaten normally in response to actual physical hunger cues? Did you know there are just as many health risks that come along with being too thin as there are with being too fat? Did you know that much of what is presented as "fact" and "truth" about weight and eating and health isn't either and is primarily presented to sell us products and programs?

Listen, I've dealt with this ED/body image BS on and off for the last 30 or so years. In fact, I spent the better part of 2006 working with a dietician who specializes in working with people with EDs and body image issues because I fell off the recovery wagon. The sooner you swap out your unhealthy thinking patterns for some healthy, sane and factual ones, the better off you're going to be in the long run. It's hard to do in this culture because there's a lot of insane, screwy, untrue and unhealthy ideas out there about size and diet and eating, but you can do it. Now, you may not be able to do it alone, so I'd suggest you seriously consider speaking to a therapist, dietician or counselor who has some experience working with people who have EDs and body image issues.

I'd hazard a guess that there's more to your desire to be super-skinny than just wanting to look a certain way. Focusing on becoming a size 0 is a dandy distraction from the real issues that are bothering you. If that is the case, I guarantee you that even if you did manage to get to a size 0, it still wouldn't be small enough because the real issues haven't been dealt with.

First I want to say that a size 9 is a good normal size!

I think maybe you should ask yourself why being a size 0 is so important?

And also who decides and defines YOU! Is it some moronic teenage boy that says your fat? I would hope that your own opinion is more important than anyone elses.

We as women are bombarded every day by outside influences that say hey you are fat, ugly and not good enough. If you look closely the main driver of this is to get us to buy some expensive crap to make us feel better temporarily.

For every woman that buys into the notion that she has to be a size 0 to be ok, she is letting someone/something else define who she is. She is willing to risk her health to live up to someone elses standards!

If more women refused to buy into this nonsense, the fad would go away.

I will assume you have a doctor and your doctor say you are a normal weight and healthy? Who are you going to believe? The doctor who has spent years in school gaining several degrees and practices medicine or the insecure teenage boy who can barely rub 2 brain cells together?

Bottom line, you decide.

In the short term:

Please, please don't outright starve yourself, especially for that period of time. I was in serious condition after starving myself for three days (a cry for help); blood sugar drops very quickly and you can go into cardiac arrest. (heart stops beating)

One of my warmest friends in the psych ward had a serious case of anorexia, it really sucks because she's such a great person inside but can't have anything but negative thoughts about herself revolving around her body figure.

If nothing else, try to make an effort to keep yourself healthy because and for people who care about you.

All of us do.