I just CAN'T get a job!

I don't understand this, it's like no matter where I apply Despite my age and qualification, there is always a reason why I am turned down.

In all reality, I've given out five applications, only three of them being truly qualified. So, the title may be misleading, because I understand that to get a job you need to apply to many. This rant is more like I am venting about my latest application.

I am 18 and in High School, I have plans to become a dietician/nutritionist one day. I read and collect natural health books and even have a set of textbooks I regularly consult. I'm no chemist or RD, but I know more about the topic then my high school nutrition teacher.

I have experience in public speaking, good grades, involved in school, and I'm 18.

So when I turned in my appilication to recently opening health store with awsome references and even a resume, I couldn't help but be a bit ticked when they turned me down. It's been a week, and they still haven't given me a call. I had gone in there and talked to the manager who when I talked to her sounded delighted to see me, said she would give me a call.

I was available at nearly the perfect time she needed someone, only two hours off.

What was the only quirk? That I haven't worked before. Because I haven't worked a stupid grocery store to PROVE I can actually work, they won't hire me. Despite these 'qualifications' I hold, it's all based on the fact that I haven't been employed before.

I UNDERSTAND why they would want someone who has worked before, previous job experience proves it all. But when you've got someone as qualifed as me, it just easily ticks me off.

I don't want to sound arrogant, because I'm not an arrogant person. But I'm so perfect for the role that it just amazes me. And I can't be employed because of the no job experience deal. Like my hours of detication to school work and my public speaking doesn't prove I'm not worth while.

I really, and this in the face of anger, don't want to waste my time at a grocery store with minimum wage, bad bosses, and long hours when I could be do much better things. It will be my last resort if I have prove myself by sacking groceries, but that will be the LAST thing I do.

(TO anyone who does work in a grocery store, this is not a direct attack to anyone on the work force, who has my admiration for even being able to get a job) Sometimes I think even THEY won't hire me!

I don't have a car, thereforeee, I would have to work in my suburb and unless I get a job I can't help pay for a car. It just makes me so MAD.

This girl I know, age 14, walked into one of the stores I applied to and they asked her, "You want a job?" yet they turn me down? We had the same work schedule!

Unless there's something I don't understand, I'm just giving up faith until I can spend three months at a grocery store just to prove to someone I'm capable 'working', like I haven't alrady...

Hey there,

You are 18, you have to work your way from the bottom up. Five applications is not that much. Nearly everyone's first job is not his/her dream job, it was a beginning. You need employment history and if that means you have to work in a grocery store, than so be it. Sometimes in life, one has to do what he/she does not want to do in order to get to what he/she wants to do.

My first job was working at the consession stand at a movie theatre. There is nothing wrong with working at a grocery store, fast food place, etc. Everyone has to start somewhere. My advice, is to fill out more applications. Five is not enough. Good luck and don't give up.

Kellbell is absolutely right. You have to work your way up. My first job out of college was definitely not my dream job. It paid crap & I was doing something that you did not need a degree to do. But I stuck to it, moved on to better position, and about 3 jobs later, Im finally doing what I love.

Just keep applying. It is not easy out there. Good luck!

5 applications is "a start."

Looking for a job is very much a numbers game. I work in an industry where it's not uncommon to send out 100 or more aircheck & resume packages and not get so much as call back, let alone an interview....even for people who've been doing radio for their ENTIRE career.

I understand you're venting, and I have no idea how you are coming accross in person to potential employers, so this may or may not apply to you: There's a fine line between confidence in one's abilities and coming accross as an arrogant know-it-all...is it possible you are crossing that line in an undesirable way in your interactions with potential employers?

Most people have had to do some time in at least one crappy minimum wage job working for some boss-zilla and probably doing something that had nothing to do with their ultimate career ambitions. I served my time at a donut shop my senior year in high school and into my first year in college. It's called paying your dues and unfortunately, it's something you're probably not going to be able to escape no matter how bright, motivated, educated and talented you may be.

The smell of donuts still makes me queasy sometimes...and that job was 25 years ago.

Hey Vaxil,

Here's the thing I am 21, so I was very recently you. This is the hardest but best advice. Volunteer. Tell the store that you will work for free, for two weeks say (after school, weekends, whatever you can manage-maybe a week of your holidays to show what is MOST important to you). Yes - there is no money. BUT if you have the goods, they will see it. I did this. With a florist. I was so lame, I got my mum to set it up, a week of holiday work experience. Then another week the next holidays. And the end of the second week I asked for a reference, written. Then the next holidays that came around, I rang my 'boss' and asked her if there was any *paid* work and she said yes. Now this isn't foolproof method, especially if you are looking at big chain stores. But try somewhere you are still interested in that is a little smaller - so people get to know and remember you. Trust me, it works wonders - it shows your commitment, that you aren't just wanting money for drugs/alcohol/girls/boys (they don't think much of us teenagers!)

And, then later in life, ie this was when I was 16, at 19 I decided I wanted to work in a big chain Kmart - why? Lots of people, flexible hours, so I can work nights when most other places are closed. I have just had a year overseas, and I actually miss it. So keep these places in mind - cause they love employing young people, and it will give you experience - and don't worry no offense taken (I thought the same at the start - I would never work for the corporation!)

Let me know how you go in the forum or by private message - you deserve support and success.

Hey, there, sorry I thought you meant you had applied for LOADS of jobs!! Five applications is just not a lot, you would be very lucky to have got a job from that, to be honest.

You need to do one rubbish job to get you started, you know...because it's a horrible fact that employers like to employ someone who has worked before. I've done a fair amount of recruitment, and one of the things we look for:

Reliability - will this person TURN UP? Are they punctual, reliable, dependable

Team player - good, easy-going personality - will they fit in to a team? Will they work well with the public? Do they have any 'side'?

Hard working - speaks for itself

Flexible - more than a jobsworth

Capable etc etc

If you're really stuck, volunteer work answers these questions, and gets you references that will get a foot in the doorway for you.

Good luck! Remember, looking for a job is almost a job in itself.

"looking for a job is almost a job in itself."

This is absolutely correct! I have a Master's Degree and 3 years experience in my field and I had a heck of time finding work when I was in the process of relocating. I know how discouraging it can feel and after awhile, you cannot help not to take it personally. Like Shes2Smart pointed out, finding a job is a numbers game. It stinks sometimes. But don't give up. Keep looking. My job at the movie theatre was actually fun, I met some new friends, saw movies for free, and the hours where extremely flexiable. You never know until you try.

sorry, but you are only 18... what makes you think you should be getting anything more than minimum wage... especially since you have zero work experience..

5 applications... i thought when you said loads you meant about 40 or 50....

sure, some people are lucky getting jobs given to them by their parents' friends.

Why do you think you are above working for minimum wage at a grocery store?

What about working at Macdonalds or Wendy's or nightshifts at a plastic factory?

gotta start somewhere...