Male friends: Is it possible?

OceanEyes

.....with this issue, its called aconfidence interval, mine happens to exclude all sources that have more makeup and dating site advertisements on a page than actual stories.

A.K.A......Denial. However, feel free to use all the wordy, refexive jargon you want in regards to statistics. You know I'm right.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A.K.A......Denial. However, feel free to use all the wordy, refexive jargon you want in regards to statistics. You know I'm right.

Its not denial, its pointing out the fact that your evidence is inherently flawed and without merit. Denial implies that those statements are true, I reject them as drivel contrived by a biased or deficient source. If you start stating statistics as if they are authoritative, but in fact not, you have to accept that their validity can be challenged. Statistical analysis happens to be part of what I do, what I say is not jargon, but basic mathematical questions that should be asked when ever statistical proof is put forward as means to defend a position in any debate.

Its not denial, its pointing out the fact that your evidence is inherently flawed and without merit. Denial implies that those statements are true, I reject them as drivel contrived by a biased or deficient source. If you start stating statistics as if they are authoritative, but in fact not, you have to accept that their validity can be challenged. Statistical analysis happens to be part of what I do, what I say is not jargon, but basic mathematical questions that should be asked when ever statistical proof is put forward as means to defend a position in any debate.

I'm glad you are confident enough with your profession. However, it does not entail, nor prove that the stats I posted were any less genuine than the common gallup poll. They very fact that I pulled them off a website dedicated to women is more than enough reassurance that even members of your own gender find it hard to believe their own gibberish at times. You want to prove me wrong? You don't have the courage to prove me wrong.

I still have faith in you, though, CB. One day, you will see it.

Cheers!

If you feel condensation is the only way to continue a debate I have little to say to you.

Condensation? You haven't been saying much of anything this entire time. I didn't even know we were debating? All I hear from you is how much you disagree with me. Other than that, I hear you constantly gloat about your omnipotent knowledge of statistics.

Perhaps that was a little smug. Here are some more stats. Was watching Discovery Health about 10 mins ago, and this came on. I was rather shocked, since this is what we have been arguing about over the last week or so:

DSC interviewed and surveyed a group of 2000 single individuals. (1000 men and 1000 women). Here are the stats of what the woman had to say about the matter:

2. Have you had a platonic friendship that crossed the line and became romantic or sexual?

Yes: 62%

No: 36%

Unsure: 2%

3. Who is more likely to misinterpret the intimacy of friendship for sexual desire?

Men: 64%

Women: 25%

Unsure: 11%

4. Is it possible to fall in love with someone who first enters your life as a friend?

Yes: 94%

No: 4%

Unsure: 2%

5. Would you consider any of your friends as a possible love interest in the future?

Yes: 71%

No: 9%

Unsure: 20%

6. Who is better at keeping sex out of a platonic relationship?

Men: 13%

Women: 67%

Unsure: 20%

Although, I am sure you will dispute these figures. But watch the show if you get DSC Health.

Wow. I originally created this thread to rant/ get advice about an awkward guy/ work-friend-who-knows-my-boyfriend-is-sandbagging situation. It's turned into a lengthy debate/ statistic BRAWL.

Statistics are incredibly subjective and inhuman when it comes to trying to 'crunch numbers' on human nature. I sucked at math, but one thing I do know is that there is no certainty or absolutes when it comes to human beings. NOTHING about the human psyche can be reduced down to a science and 'mastered'. All we can do is speculate and do the best we can to understand.

You can wrap up statistics neatly in a nice little package with a silver bow and there are STILL going to be flaws - why do you think that psychology is based on compartmentalized theories that have been consistently disproved througout human evolution (ie. FREUD)?

Most of us don't even know ourselves that well, let alone an entire race or gender.

All I know is that I've completely ignored the creepy male/ work friend who I originally created the topic about. It's worked well. I like that he avoids me now actually, and hopefully next time he'll be more respectful and realistic when it comes to picking up chicks. Now, when I see him coming, I make sure that he witnesses me flipping my middle finger violently, then turning around and running in the opposite direction.

The one thing I've learned from this whole situation is that it really doesn't pay to be too nice. You have to push them away completely and make it very obvious that you aren't the LEAST bit interested. Avoiding eye-contact and conversation is what has saved me. Success story!

P.S.: I'm just kidding about the middle finger incident. What actually worked was: asking him to come down the elevator with me, then passing gas deliberately and forcefully.

I think she's saying that she doubts all social science statistics, whether they favor Cam or CB's perspective.

Besides, she's the OP, so IMO she can write a book if she wants. The paragraphs actually served as a nice wrap-up: Her opinion about the place the thread has gone, a revisiting of the original issue, and a conclusion based on how she resolved the problem that she posted about.

I liked it.

BUT I have to add that although I usually agree with OceanEyes 100% word for word, I *cannot* disagree more with her characterization of psychology as a science, or with her implicit criticism of hypothesis testing. But that's neither here nor there.

I think she's saying that she doubts all social science statistics, whether they favor Cam or CB's perspective.

Besides, she's the OP, so IMO she can write a book if she wants. The paragraphs actually served as a nice wrap-up: Her opinion about the place the thread has gone, a revisiting of the original issue, and a conclusion based on how she resolved the problem that she posted about.

I liked it.

BUT I have to add that although I usually agree with OceanEyes 100% word for word, I *cannot* disagree more with her characterization of psychology as a science, or with her implicit criticism of hypothesis testing. But that's neither here nor there.

Yes but if you disagree or altogether reject any socail stats then why even bring up the issue. Why not live life in limbo, why even ask questions in search of the truth? Of course every stat ever produced has been produced by someone and people have their own views,opinions etc. At the end of the day any stat is only as useful as the people interpreting it. Not sure where the conclusion was. Seems a little different than any conclusion I have read, not really conclusive at all.

I guess this is just your way of saying you disagree with Cams stats? Why didnt you just say that instead of 3 paragraphs?

I've spent the last few years reading NOVELS on this site and responding to them. I rarely post my own topics or gripe about my own life on here, as opposed to reading about the woes of others. It's actually kind of nice to be the one HEARD instead of listening and responding all the time.

Perhaps you should reserve your judgement and scrutiny for people who take more than they give.

Understanding the human mind is still a work in progress. I didn't say that it wasn't a science, nor did I disagree with 'educated guesses' about psychology. That's how we make progress, right? I just don't believe that there are any absolutes when it comes to understanding people.

I've spent the last few years reading NOVELS on this site and responding to them. I rarely post my own topics or gripe about my own life on here, as opposed to reading about the woes of others. It's actually kind of nice to be the one HEARD instead of listening and responding all the time.

Perhaps you should reserve your judgement and scrutiny for people who take more than they give.

Understanding the human mind is still a work in progress. I didn't say that it wasn't a science, nor did I disagree with 'educated guesses' about psychology. That's how we make progress, right? I just don't believe that there are any absolutes when it comes to understanding people.

Wow, this thread continues to take one turn after another.

Listen...stats are stats. Some can be ignored, others have to be acknowledged. By and far, the matter simply boils down to the individuals opinion. Obviously, you must take in to account the intentions of the surveyors, as well as the subjects under questioning.

But here lies my dilemma. Are we truly honest with ourselves? I know it's great and comforting to think an attractive man and woman can be "just friends". I kinda relate it to communism. On paper it looks GREAT, but in practice, it can conjure up so many problems. First, and foremost, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE. Just like nothing is problem free.

I kinda relate it to communism. On paper it looks GREAT, but in practice, it can conjure up so many problems. First, and foremost, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE. Just like nothing is problem free.

Interesting comparison. And you're right about communism looking amazing on paper and in theory (of course, in a perfect world it WOULD work).

I think one big problem I am witnessing myself is that if the two friends actually care about the other's feelings, it makes it awkward when one develops more romantic feelings for the other, as then just being friends is encouraging those feelings....... not sure if I'm wording that correctly but my example is that I treat her so well, she likes me, she is not romantically interested in me, I am more and more interested in her with every passing day, she likes me so much that she doesn't want to hurt me, yet she doesn't want to encourage the romantic side of things, so strange feelings and things happen due to that. It's a messed up situation.

It is so tough. We are great friends so ending that would be wrong. Yet my heart is really longing for romantic love from her which she doesn't seem to feel for me, so our friendship pulls us together but her resistance to romanticism has her pushing us apart... it is like a seesaw which doesn't help the emotional stress as it is. I'm still hoping her heart will come on line with her brain eventually. She is probably hoping that my heart will cool off a bit and be happy with good friendship instead.

I don't honestly know what the future holds...... maybe an extreme final disappointment will happen and severe depression will entail, life can be so cruel.

• 4 years later...

Archived