The Death of a Friend - a Murder Unsolved

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clicked on the link about the guilty verdict. I am so relieved to hear that the killer has been brought to justice. It said he was sentenced to mandatory life in prison. I hope he is never eligible for parole of any kind.

She was a beautiful woman.

I hope that her family and friends can find some comfort in knowing that her husband will no longer be free to hurt anyone else.

I knew both of them. Tammy was the most beautiful person, not only on the outside but inside too. May she finally rest in peace. Her parents can finally go on with their lives knowing that justice has been served.

Here is another article

Windsor native gets life for murder of wife

Craig Pearson, The Windsor Star

Published: Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Windsor native Daniel Pittao will spend the rest of his life behind bars with no possibility for parole after a jury in Pontiac, Mich., on Tuesday found him guilty of first-degree, premeditated murder in the decade-old death of his estranged wife Tamara Pittao.

The jury began deliberating Thursday morning, in a trial that began Sept. 2, before reaching a verdict Tuesday afternoon.

This is the second murder trial Pittao has faced in the same case, after Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Michael Warren declared a mistrial in February when a jury became deadlocked.

View Larger Image

Daniel Pittao listens during his murder trial at the Oakland County District Court in Pontiac, Mich. on Monday, Jan. 7, 2008. Pittao is accused of killing his wife Tamara Pittao.

File photo, The Windsor Star

Email to a friend

Printer friendly

Font was on trial for open murder, which means the jury had the option of finding him guilty of first-degree or second-degree murder, or declaring him not guilty. First-degree, premeditated murder in Michigan carries a mandatory life sentence with no possibility of parole.

"Justice was slow but justice was served," Oakland County prosecutor Gregory Townsend said after the verdict was read. "It took quite a while but it's nice to at least start to begin some closure for the victim's family."

Tamara Pittao was 30 when she was found dead in her Novi apartment Nov. 27, 1997. She was beaten and her throat was slit. A pathologist's report concluded that she likely died three days earlier.

"It was a completely circumstantial case," Townsend said. "As a result you have to produce more witnesses and tie it all together. And obviously that takes more time than if you had eye witnesses and such."

A grand jury decided in 1999 that there was not enough evidence to bring the case to trial.

But two things changed. Police say they discovered new evidence from an insurance deposition Pittao gave in 2006 in order to collect money from Tamara's policy for his daughter Danielle, who was two when her mother was killed. Pittao did not have custody of his daughter, who lives with her mother's family in the Chicago area.

Also, Michigan law changed two years ago to allow prosecutors to enter past allegations of domestic abuse. Prosecutors brought in more than 30 witnesses, including five from Windsor - his former wife, his grown son, police and counsellors - many who portrayed Pittao as an angry, violent man with a history of abuse.

"That helped," Townsend said. "The statute allowing that evidence in was very pertinent to the case, thereforee I'm glad the jury was able to consider it."

Pittao, 49, will head to Jackson Prison for intake before the Michigan Department of Corrections decides in which facility he will live out his life. He has been in prison since his arrest in January 2007.

"I'm very satisfied with the verdict," Townsend said. "I think the jury worked very, very hard and I think they saw him for what he is: nothing but a cold-blooded murderer."

© The Windsor Star 2008

COMMENTS ON THIS STORYAdd Your CommentKRLTue, Oct 14, 08 at 03:54 PM

We need those kinds of consequences here in Ontario/Canada, instead of a slap on the hand.

phylissTue, Oct 14, 08 at 04:11 PM

bye bye

JennTue, Oct 14, 08 at 04:34 PM

It's too bad we have to cross the border to see a justice system, with a back bone... say hi to BA BA...

LynnTue, Oct 14, 08 at 04:48 PM

Justice...finally.

SynTue, Oct 14, 08 at 04:59 PM

Let's hope he stays in Jackson Pen!

AGREETue, Oct 14, 08 at 05:16 PM

I agree with you, KRL

timmy mTue, Oct 14, 08 at 05:52 PM

Good sentence!! Maybe Canada's justice system could learn from this!!

Are you sure....Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 06:04 PM

I think that he's from Windsor, Nova Scotia. We have good people here.

BOBTue, Oct 14, 08 at 06:57 PM

Justice is done......Bravo.

So HAPPYTue, Oct 14, 08 at 07:32 PM

Justice served!

honeyTue, Oct 14, 08 at 07:52 PM

oh my God how cruel, he is oufffff!!! okyou gona pay 4 what you did good luck in prison,the justice is serve, and I dont like to juge, no one ,poor women now she can rest in peace 4 sure. and to you,pitao. God help you,

INJUSTICETue, Oct 14, 08 at 07:59 PM

I am surprised by comments from people who have no idea what the facts are in this case. There was absolutely no evidence that Dan Pittao committed this murder. Even the prosecutor admits this. I hate to think of all of the innocent people who are in jail for crimes they did not commit just because police officers are too lazy to investigate the case and prosecutors decide to present a weak case to a jury just to say they tried. The prosecutors can justify what they have done by blaming the jury when an innocent man is convicted. Prosecutors have a responsibility not to bring weak cases because a jury can convict innocent people. What happened to prosecutorial discretion? ..

FrankTue, Oct 14, 08 at 08:21 PM

The USA doesn't fool around with these loosers. Wish Canada did the same.

Jack Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 09:00 PM

Wake up INJUSTICE! Face the facts. He's guilty of 1st degree MURDER. If you think he is innocent, you are fooled.

JUSTICE IS SERVEDTue, Oct 14, 08 at 09:17 PM

INJUSTICE, The facts are simple, he is guilty. Just because you can't face the truth doesn't give you the right to point fingers. He went through the process and a jury of his peers unanimously found him guilty. He got what he deserved; it's just too bad it took as long as it did.

gerryTue, Oct 14, 08 at 09:59 PM

I followed the case and I also knew Dan, guilty is what he deserves, he will pay for it among other things.

Mike C.Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 10:26 PM

""Prosecutors brought in more than 30 witnesses, including five from Windsor - his former wife, his grown son, police and counsellors - many who portrayed Pittao as an angry, violent man with a history of abuse.""........even his family says he is violent ! I agree with most of the comments above, this is the type of punishment we need in Canada for people like this.

Add Your Comment The Rules: Keep it clean, and stay on the subject or we might delete your comment. If you see inappropriate language, e-mail us. You must have a javascript enabled browser to submit a comment. Your Name

Your Comment

rticle.

Avman I'm so sorry that this happened to your friend and unfortunately it's an all too common occurrence. According to the National Organization for Women, in the U.S. four women are murdered daily as a result of domestic violence. Any woman that is in a situation where they are being abused should find a safe place to go...there are many resources and shelters that can help.

I'm glad to see that your friend's husband received a stiff sentance, which isn't usually the case here in Canada. My sister's very close friend was murdered by her husband several years ago, he also murdered their nine month old child and another woman. He only served about 15 years and was able to receive a psychology degree while in prison. The last we heard he had moved to another city and is a practicing psychologist. Justice was not served and it is very difficult for her family and friends to know that this has barely caused a ripple in his life.

I hope that you, your friends and the victim's family can receive some small comfort in knowing that he is being punished to the full extent of the law.

Avman just wanted to let you know the horrific news!! The latest article

Pittao likely to appeal murder conviction: Lawyer

Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Daniel Pittao, the Windsor native convicted Tuesday in Michigan of first-degree premeditated murder in the decade-old death of his estranged wife -- sending him to prison for the rest of his life -- will almost certainly launch an appeal, his lawyer said Wednesday.

A jury in Pontiac, Mich., deliberated over four days before deciding Pittao killed Tamara Pittao, who was 30 when she was found Nov. 27, 1997, beaten and strangled to death in her Novi apartment.

"I just never thought a jury of 12 people would believe that there was enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict a man of premeditated murder without any physical evidence at all," Pittao's lawyer Rick Convertino said Wednesday.

View Larger Image

Daniel Pittao listens during his murder trial at the Oakland County District Court in Pontiac, Mich., Jan. 7, 2008. Pittao was convicted Tuesday in Michigan of first-degree premeditated murder in the decade-old death of his estranged wife - sending him to prison for the rest of his life - will almost certainly launch an appeal, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Font was with hearsay evidence going back to 1983."

The trial lasted six weeks. This was Pittao's second murder trial in the same case. Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Michael Warren declared a mistrial in February when the jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict.

In 1999, a U.S. grand jury determined there was not enough evidence to bring the quality-control engineer to trial.

Neither the prosecution nor the victim's family, however, stopped there.

Police say they were bolstered by a deposition Pittao gave in 2006 to claim $200,000 in death benefits from his wife's insurance policy for his daughter Danielle, who lives with the victim's family.

As well, Michigan law changed to allow prosecutors to introduce past allegations of domestic abuse -- which formed a central theme of the prosecution.

More than 30 witnesses, including five from Windsor -- Pittao's ex-wife, his grown son, police and counsellors -- testified against Pittao, often portraying him as angry and violent. The life sentence provides no chance of parole.

Convertino said than in his 18 years of practising law, as a prosecutor as well as a defence lawyer, he was most surprised by this decision.

He said any appeal would likely carry a constitutional challenge to the Michigan law allowing domestic-abuse allegations from unrelated cases. Appeals are not automatic in Michigan, however, but must be based on an error and approved by a judge.

Convertino said he has not had a chance to speak to Pittao about an appeal, since his 49-year-old client was taken out in shackles by sheriffs almost immediately after the verdict was read. He was not allowed to see Pittao afterward. But Convertino believes an appeal is wise.

"He didn't tell me, 'Let's appeal this,' because the guy was stunned," Convertino said about the moments after the verdict when Pittao's family was devastated. "He just said, 'I can't believe this. I can't believe this. How could this happen?'

Pittao likely to appeal murder conviction: Lawyer

Craig Pearson, The Windsor Star

Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Daniel Pittao, the Windsor native convicted Tuesday in Michigan of first-degree premeditated murder in the decade-old death of his estranged wife -- sending him to prison for the rest of his life -- will almost certainly launch an appeal, his lawyer said Wednesday.

A jury in Pontiac, Mich., deliberated over four days before deciding Pittao killed Tamara Pittao, who was 30 when she was found Nov. 27, 1997, beaten and strangled to death in her Novi apartment.

"I just never thought a jury of 12 people would believe that there was enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict a man of premeditated murder without any physical evidence at all," Pittao's lawyer Rick Convertino said Wednesday.

View Larger Image

Daniel Pittao listens during his murder trial at the Oakland County District Court in Pontiac, Mich., Jan. 7, 2008. Pittao was convicted Tuesday in Michigan of first-degree premeditated murder in the decade-old death of his estranged wife - sending him to prison for the rest of his life - will almost certainly launch an appeal, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly

Font was with hearsay evidence going back to 1983."

The trial lasted six weeks. This was Pittao's second murder trial in the same case. Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Michael Warren declared a mistrial in February when the jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict.

In 1999, a U.S. grand jury determined there was not enough evidence to bring the quality-control engineer to trial.

Neither the prosecution nor the victim's family, however, stopped there.

Police say they were bolstered by a deposition Pittao gave in 2006 to claim $200,000 in death benefits from his wife's insurance policy for his daughter Danielle, who lives with the victim's family.

As well, Michigan law changed to allow prosecutors to introduce past allegations of domestic abuse -- which formed a central theme of the prosecution.

More than 30 witnesses, including five from Windsor -- Pittao's ex-wife, his grown son, police and counsellors -- testified against Pittao, often portraying him as angry and violent. The life sentence provides no chance of parole.

Convertino said than in his 18 years of practising law, as a prosecutor as well as a defence lawyer, he was most surprised by this decision.

He said any appeal would likely carry a constitutional challenge to the Michigan law allowing domestic-abuse allegations from unrelated cases. Appeals are not automatic in Michigan, however, but must be based on an error and approved by a judge.

Convertino said he has not had a chance to speak to Pittao about an appeal, since his 49-year-old client was taken out in shackles by sheriffs almost immediately after the verdict was read. He was not allowed to see Pittao afterward. But Convertino believes an appeal is wise.

"He didn't tell me, 'Let's appeal this,' because the guy was stunned," Convertino said about the moments after the verdict when Pittao's family was devastated. "He just said, 'I can't believe this. I can't believe this. How could this happen?'

That is expected brwnidgirl. A person convicted of murder will always appeal their case. He'll be appealing the verdict for a long time, but he'll be doing it from prison. And that's the key. He's going to get a life sentence so he isn't going to have anything else to do.

But just because he appeals doesn't mean anything is going to change. It is still time to rejoice!

• 4 weeks later...

And now, justice is finally served. Daniel Pittao has been sentenced to life without parole for his crime. Even the judge called him a coward.

From the Observer Newspaper on 11/13/2008:

Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Michael Warren sentenced Daniel Pittao last Thursday afternoon to mandatory life in prison without parole for the 1997 murder of his estranged wife, Tamara Pittao.

The sentence was delivered 15 years to the day after he married his wife, then Tamara Pindar.

In orange jail garb, Pittao stood in a packed Oakland County courtroom and professed his innocence before his sentencing, saying he looked forward to seeing his freedom once the case was appealed.

"I wasn't there and I did not cause this," he told Judge Warren.

But Tamara's father, Robert Pindar, had strong words for his former son-in-law. Calling Pittao "selfish and cowardly," Pindar said, "You have no soul."

They were in the middle of a divorce, and Pittao had been charged with physically assaulting her. Before he was led away, Warren said, "The defendant shows no accountability or remorse, which is what we expect from cowards."

Pittao, 49, of Highland Township was found guilty of first-degree, premeditated murder Oct. 14.

"We met with the family and still my heart aches for them, but I believe this provides a bit of closure for them," Novi Police Chief David Molloy said following the Oct. 14 verdict. "We still have other open cases, but in the last couple of decades, it's one of the longest running cases we've had."

I wrote the police chief of Novi, Michigan thanking him for his efforts over the years. He wrote back a very nice note talking about what the case meant to him and his department. I think it affected him deeply not being able to solve it and prosecute for so long.

I'm happy to be able to put to rest who killed Tami although I still mourn her loss. I am glad she has a daughter that will live on. A piece of her is still alive.

Avman- I read the part about sentencing and almost fell out of my chair. I am an intern for Judge Warren in Oakland. Whoa... I was not in session for this case, but there was a great deal of talk about it. Judge Warren is an extremely fair and smart man. I am glad he was given this case.

Very very small world- and I am extremely sorry to hear about this loss. This is certainly not the way I wish to connect to fellow ENA'ers.

60% of murdered women are murdered by their SO. This is a statistic people need to know about! It is repulsive and so very tragic.

Do NOT put up with abuse. There is help somewhere.

Thank you for posting this story, Avman. I bet it will help someone somewhere.

• Like 1
Avman- I read the part about sentencing and almost fell out of my chair. I am an intern for Judge Warren in Oakland. Whoa... I was not in session for this case, but there was a great deal of talk about it. Judge Warren is an extremely fair and smart man. I am glad he was given this case.

Very very small world- and I am extremely sorry to hear about this loss. This is certainly not the way I wish to connect to fellow ENA'ers.

60% of murdered women are murdered by their SO. This is a statistic people need to know about! It is repulsive and so very tragic.

Do NOT put up with abuse. There is help somewhere.

Thank you for posting this story, Avman. I bet it will help someone somewhere.

Well that's a strange coincidence! But it is a small world I suppose.

I don't know much about the judge but I'm glad to hear you think very favorably about him. I'll bet Tami's family appreciated him throughout the trial.

Well that's a strange coincidence! But it is a small world I suppose.

I don't know much about the judge but I'm glad to hear you think very favorably about him. I'll bet Tami's family appreciated him throughout the trial.

I am glad her family was able to get some justice. It is often few and far between in life, but at least some finally came.