Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Yays and Nays

boltnrun

1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

My husband always puts copious amounts of cream on them as well. He has always been a compulsive washer as well. His mom taught him that. 

I put hand cream on but literally two minutes later I end up doing something else that convinces me my hands are dirty, so I wash them again which washes off the hand cream. Happens EVERY time. 

10 hours ago, boltnrun said:

I put hand cream on but literally two minutes later I end up doing something else that convinces me my hands are dirty, so I wash them again which washes off the hand cream. Happens EVERY time. 

My husband puts the cream on right before bed that way no chance of washing it off. He puts on the cream, then pulls up the covers and he’s in bed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My husband puts the cream on right before bed that way no chance of washing it off. He puts on the cream, then pulls up the covers and he’s in bed.

Also when I use Aquaphor -my skin gets so dry on my hands - I do wash my hands well but the cream still absorbs.

31 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

We are bracing for a winter storm tomorrow, which means I will have two kiddos all day unless they close the base down. Then mom can come get them . 

Good luck!  Rain and wind here. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Also when I use Aquaphor -my skin gets so dry on my hands - I do wash my hands well but the cream still absorbs.

Vaseline works really well on the hands as well and healing. Some dermatologists recommend it for wound healing and care . 
When I worked with a lot of Asian women they used it on their hands and faces. 

• Like 1

I'm always waffling between "powering through" and "taking it easy" when I don't feel well. I'm never sure what the right approach is.

My brother says "get in a hard workout and sweat it out!!" That's his solution to everything. 

• Like 1

I drag my brother a lot in this journal so I want to shout him out for something kind he does.

He buys cat food and feeds the stray cats in his neighborhood. He doesn't have a pet of his own but he can't stand the idea of them going hungry. He also sets out blankets for them to sleep on/under. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I drag my brother a lot in this journal so I want to shout him out for something kind he does.

He buys cat food and feeds the stray cats in his neighborhood. He doesn't have a pet of his own but he can't stand the idea of them going hungry. He also sets out blankets for them to sleep on/under. 

I love this.  Thank you -and thanks to him!

1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

He is a kind man. ❤️I love me some kitties ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

Welp, I got chased down by a homeless woman while out on my walk. She started off across the street. I heard her yelling and cursing but she didn't direct it at me until she saw me. She crossed to my side and got within a foot or two behind me, shouting and cursing at me and calling me Olivia for some reason (not my name). I just walked faster and crossed the street and walked up closer to a man who was walking his dog. Then when she followed behind me I made a u-turn. She yelled something like "oh, now you're leaving" and I just kept walking. Fortunately there's almost always pretty steady foot traffic so if she attacked me there would be people nearby. I feel bad for her because she obviously needs help but that doesn't mean I wasn't a bit frightened.  It did make me walk faster than usual!

11 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Welp, I got chased down by a homeless woman while out on my walk. She started off across the street. I heard her yelling and cursing but she didn't direct it at me until she saw me. She crossed to my side and got within a foot or two behind me, shouting and cursing at me and calling me Olivia for some reason (not my name). I just walked faster and crossed the street and walked up closer to a man who was walking his dog. Then when she followed behind me I made a u-turn. She yelled something like "oh, now you're leaving" and I just kept walking. Fortunately there's almost always pretty steady foot traffic so if she attacked me there would be people nearby. I feel bad for her because she obviously needs help but that doesn't mean I wasn't a bit frightened.  It did make me walk faster than usual!

I'm so sorry -I've had that type of experience several times.  I had to work out/power walk outside for 17 months of pandemic including when it was still dark out and I live in a city.  I saw many homeless but in all that time I don't remember any confronting me -it was fine, they were "regulars" just like us runners/ walkers were - the only confrontation was an unleashed dog that I had to keep dodging -so scary for me.  I've more been confronted as you were near supermarkets and when with my son, etc. and also on public transportation.   I'm sorry this happened!

I'm glad you're ok and you're right she probably has mental health struggles. 

No doubt you saw the video of the man who randomly targeted the woman pushing a stroller and hit her in the face with a pipe!  Yikes.

It's makes me so sad that no matter where I go now I am looking over my shoulder and scanning everything.  I crossed a parking lot the other day going from one to store to another.  A homeless man traversing back and forth behind me.  I swear we are going to become a third world country in no time.

Stay safe!

• Sad 1

I am always cautious but I don't fear the homeless population in general. Most of the unhoused people I encounter either keep to themselves or ask me for money  in a non-threatening way. I don't carry cash because it's dirty so I have none to give. However I have frequently given them food and clothing. 

The only reason I was frightened is because she came up behind me quickly and was so close, yelling and cursing. 

I know she needs help, help that is not always readily available. I also realize the reason there are so many unhoused people in my city is because the climate is better. I mean, if I was unhoused would I rather be here, where it seldom gets below 40 degrees? Or in Wisconsin or Michigan where it gets well below freezing in the wintertime?

• Like 1

OK...

I need breakfast bars that are either sugar free or have very low sugar and they need to be nut free. I can find one or the other but never both. The closest I have found is chocolate pretzel flavor bars but they have dairy and soy so they make me fart like crazy. And I'm lactose intolerant and I'm not supposed to eat soy. I also have issues with chocolate. It gives me mouth sores.

This is exceedingly frustrating. 

No dairy. No nuts. No sugar. No soy. No red meat. No chocolate. No seeds. No citrus. 

7 hours ago, boltnrun said:

OK...

I need breakfast bars that are either sugar free or have very low sugar and they need to be nut free. I can find one or the other but never both. The closest I have found is chocolate pretzel flavor bars but they have dairy and soy so they make me fart like crazy. And I'm lactose intolerant and I'm not supposed to eat soy. I also have issues with chocolate. It gives me mouth sores.

This is exceedingly frustrating. 

No dairy. No nuts. No sugar. No soy. No red meat. No chocolate. No seeds. No citrus. 

Would you be willing to make them? Ex- my friend's daughter used to make -maybe still does -batches of healthier muffins for her kids -based on veggies/fruits (I know not low sugar just giving a DIY ex.). I am not a baker.  But for ex if you bought low sugar granola and used as a base to make bars -I'm sure there are recipes and I bet they can be frozen and keep or a long time.  

I have a lot of trouble finding granola that doesn't contain nuts. However I have a recipe for sugar free oatmeal cookies that maybe can be adjusted to make bars. They just don't contain the protein I am trying to get. Maybe there's a way to incorporate the pea protein powder I make shakes out of. It's definitely worth looking into. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

I have a lot of trouble finding granola that doesn't contain nuts. However I have a recipe for sugar free oatmeal cookies that maybe can be adjusted to make bars. They just don't contain the protein I am trying to get. Maybe there's a way to incorporate the pea protein powder I make shakes out of. It's definitely worth looking into. 

I have a friend who just started making high protein cookies, so it is possible. I think she adds some kind of vegan protein to it . ( some kind of powder. I can look on her website . Unfortunately, she only does local and she moved out east last Oct .😓

There are several vegan bakeries in my area. Also a vegan "ice cream" shop. Unfortunately they all use sugar.

I think I can add some of the protein powder to the cookie recipe. After all, what are protein bars but cookies in a different shape?

I'm feeling frighteningly bad today. Super lightheaded, my fingers are tingling and I'm having trouble focusing. I had to go into the office and it's really bad. I left early sick a week ago so I don't want to do it again today. 

I honestly don't get why I feel so bad. I cut out sugar and am faithfully taking my vitamins. What the hell is going on???

Going to call the doctor next week (my old doctor) and make an appointment. New doctor has basically abandoned me. 

• Sad 1

Thank you. Historically they have just redone the thyroid blood test, it comes back within the "normal" range of whatever chart they have, they renew my prescription and say "see you in a year!" I think I would have to collapse in front of them to get their attention.

I got better care when I went to the ER but I'm not that bad yet.