Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Yays and Nays

boltnrun

On 3/8/2024 at 9:31 AM, Batya33 said:

Hope you feel better! Also hate the time change!

Thank you.

Still feeling lousy. I honestly think my thyroid medication dosage needs adjusting. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and make an appointment.

I had an absolutely wonderful day with my son Sunday. His spouse decided to skip it but we still had a really nice day together. We are going to do Easter dinner the day before instead of traipsing all the way to my brother's house and cooking a huge meal. I just don't feel like doing that this year. If course we will invite my brother and his kids to join us. 

2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Thank you.

Still feeling lousy. I honestly think my thyroid medication dosage needs adjusting. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and make an appointment.

I had an absolutely wonderful day with my son Sunday. His spouse decided to skip it but we still had a really nice day together. We are going to do Easter dinner the day before instead of traipsing all the way to my brother's house and cooking a huge meal. I just don't feel like doing that this year. If course we will invite my brother and his kids to join us. 

I hope you can see the doctor soon! That sounds like a really good Easter plan.

23 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Thank you.

I am sorry you aren’t feeling well. I am glad you had a great time with your son .  It is so so nice to be with our kids . It feels like heaven. 

• Like 1

I've felt like hammered crap all week. I went into work late today so I could get an extra hour of sleep and I actually feel worse. Thankfully it's the weekend and I can rest. Although it sucks that I can't go to either of the festivals I had planned to go to. 

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I hope you get some rest and feel better! And that there are more festivals coming up!

Thank you.  Yes, there are festivals pretty much every weekend in my area.  But the one tomorrow is pretty specific and is only about a mile and a half from my home so I really wanted to attend.  So far I still feel lousy.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I've been so sick for so long.  My hand joints hurt so bad that I can hardly even pick something up without pain.  I have an appointment in a couple of weeks so hopefully this NP will actually listen to me instead of rolling her eyes and interrupting me like the last doctor I saw did.

• Like 1

America Ferrera
Gabourey Sidibe
Florence Pugh
Kate Winslet
Lily Gladstone
Melanie Lynskey

I love these actors because they do not adhere to that tired old trope that in order to be beautiful and healthy you must be slim.  No, you can have a fuller figure and still be fabulous and amazing and beautiful.

Up until I was in my mid-40s I was a 110 pound size four with an "athletic" figure.  Once I got closer to 50 my body changed and now I'm a 130 pound size 8 with an hourglass figure, hips and a curved belly and much larger boobs.  It was an adjustment but I'm learning to love it.  I don't believe that only slim people are healthy or attractive.  It's just not true.  My health issues have nothing to do with my weight or my figure, BTW.  I have a disease but it's a digestive system illness, not my weight.  And it wasn't caused by a poor diet or lack of exercise.  It's just bad heredity.

Anyway, I'm celebrating the larger ladies today.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Thank you.  Yes, there are festivals pretty much every weekend in my area.  But the one tomorrow is pretty specific and is only about a mile and a half from my home so I really wanted to attend.  So far I still feel lousy.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I've been so sick for so long.  My hand joints hurt so bad that I can hardly even pick something up without pain.  I have an appointment in a couple of weeks so hopefully this NP will actually listen to me instead of rolling her eyes and interrupting me like the last doctor I saw did.

I really hope you are listened to! Do you think lately there is more societal acceptance of obesity and particularly plus sized women? I've been hearing that around -not sure if it's true!

"Obesity"?  I find that an interesting word choice.  I wouldn't classify any of the actors I listed as obese except MAYBE Gabby Sidibe (who is currently pregnant with twins!)  And IMO there's a vast difference between being full figured and being obese.  Obesity is a health issue that puts strain on the body, particularly the cardiac and skeletal systems.  But I don't think America Ferrera is suffering from health issues because she's a size ten or whatever.

I read somewhere that the average American woman is 5'4" and 150 pounds.

I also think these BMI calculators need adjusting.  The one I used recently puts me at less than one point from being overweight at 5'2 1/2" and 130 pounds.  When I was 106 pounds that same calculator put me at a healthy BMI even though I looked awful.  Skeletal and gaunt with sunken cheeks and eyes.  And I FELT awful.  But the chart said I was at a healthy weight.

3 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

"Obesity"?  I find that an interesting word choice.  I wouldn't classify any of the actors I listed as obese except MAYBE Gabby Sidibe (who is currently pregnant with twins!)  And IMO there's a vast difference between being full figured and being obese.  Obesity is a health issue that puts strain on the body, particularly the cardiac and skeletal systems.  But I don't think America Ferrera is suffering from health issues because she's a size ten or whatever.

I read somewhere that the average American woman is 5'4" and 150 pounds.

I also think these BMI calculators need adjusting.  The one I used recently puts me at less than one point from being overweight at 5'2 1/2" and 130 pounds.  When I was 106 pounds that same calculator put me at a healthy BMI even though I looked awful.  Skeletal and gaunt with sunken cheeks and eyes.  And I FELT awful.  But the chart said I was at a healthy weight.

I was not referring to your examples at all.  Sorry for the misunderstanding. Was just commenting generally. It was referring to the rest of your post.  I am not familiar with all those actresses and/or exactly what their bodies look like.  I'm sorry. I'm not familiar enough to comment in any real way on this post as far as BMI etc.

Understood.  I read it as a response to what I'd written about the actors I listed and how they don't adhere to that old, tired Hollywood trope that a woman must be a size 2 or size 0 in order to be considered attractive or healthy.  

I hope being more realistically sized becomes more acceptable to the world.  Particularly in the US.  

25 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Understood.  I read it as a response to what I'd written about the actors I listed and how they don't adhere to that old, tired Hollywood trope that a woman must be a size 2 or size 0 in order to be considered attractive or healthy.  

I hope being more realistically sized becomes more acceptable to the world.  Particularly in the US.  

Oh goodness I totally agree. I feel like in my mom's generation  - 40s/50s voluptuous was more the norm in Hollywood perhaps.  And I agree that healthy weight is an individual thing and I strongly believe if a person's bloodwork is good, they're in good health generally it shouldn't matter if they weigh more /look heavier etc.  It's always good to do the annual physicals/have doctors that are reliable so the person can be aware -makes me nervous when people in our age group especially don't get an annual once over.

32 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

makes me nervous when people in our age group especially don't get an annual once over.

My brother!  He just turned 60 and he hadn't gone for a routine physical in about ten years.  He told me he believes going to the doctor makes you sick, i.e., you believe you are fine and then the doctor finds something that needs attention.  He prefers to operate under blissful ignorance.  This is the guy who went an entire year with a massive abdominal hernia because he 1) believed his soreness was due to having weak abdominal muscles and the solution was to work out even harder to strengthen them and 2) thought it would go away on its own when working out extra hard didn't take the pain away.  His surgery ended up having to be extra invasive because he waited until he'd fainted at a work function to see a doctor.  Whenever I'm feeling unwell he advises me to do "burpees" in my living room to get stronger 🙄  He's another one who thinks because he's slim that means he's healthy.  He definitely equates weight with health, although ironically he isn't attracted to slim women!  His all-time favorite actress looks-wise is Sophia Loren, who he calls "the most beautiful woman in the world" and she was no Skinny Minnie.  He also likes Sofia Vergara but liked her better before she lost a lot of weight.  He loves curves, on women that is!

• Sad 1

I find men shy away more from going to dr/routine medical checkups than women do but that's just me although my friend who is 62 had her first mammo in 12 years because she feared the "radiation" (sigh)

18 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I find men shy away more from going to dr/routine medical checkups than women do but that's just me although my friend who is 62 had her first mammo in 12 years because she feared the "radiation" (sigh)

Well, she would have to endure a lot more unpleasantness if it turned out she did have breast cancer and it wasn't detected before it became serious.

13 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Well, she would have to endure a lot more unpleasantness if it turned out she did have breast cancer and it wasn't detected before it became serious.

Exactly. I also do the self-monthly exams.  My doctors still recommend it although now it's not as recommended in the past.

Thank you.

I got back from my after work walk and literally five minutes later it started thundering and absolutely pouring. I was going to walk for ten minutes longer but now I'm glad I didn't.  I wasn't even wearing a jacket. Just capri joggers and a short sleeved t-shirt.

Still feeling lousy. Still can't figure out why. 

Just now, boltnrun said:

Thank you.

I got back from my after work walk and literally five minutes later it started thundering and absolutely pouring. I was going to walk for ten minutes longer but now I'm glad I didn't.  I wasn't even wearing a jacket. Just capri joggers and a short sleeved t-shirt.

Still feeling lousy. Still can't figure out why. 

I hope tomorrow is better!

17 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Could it be carpel tunnel?

I have arthritis. It doesn't help that I type for a living!

I was tested for RA and thankfully don't have it. Nor do I have lupus (runs in my family). It's just your garden variety arthritis. Painful at times but really nothing can be done. Except take Advil 🙄

I do feel slightly better today. (Hopefully didn't jinx myself by writing that). I have to spend an hour and a half down on the production floor today so hopefully I'll be just fine. Still having cold symptoms but not as bad as a couple of days ago.

• Like 1