Fantastic offer

It sounds like a steal @Seraphim

My husband and I wouldn't be able to afford our current house had we bought it today because ever since we bought it,  it has quadrupled in equity and value and we own it free and clear.  No mortgage.  We have moved up several times in order to be at this stage in our lives.  Our sons are happy here as well.  It's a great,  very safe,  established neighborhood.  We are very fortunate.  We bought our houses before prices soared,  became astronomically and prohibitively expensive and out of reach for millions of people.  We were lucky. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, tattoobunnie said:

hell yes!

Absolutely! It is 100% and absolutely a steal. You can also fix it up as you go and even with all the renovations, it will still not equal the price of the average house in Canada today. Most people can’t even afford a house anymore.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Cherylyn said:

It sounds like a steal @Seraphim

My husband and I wouldn't be able to afford our current house had we bought it today because ever since we bought it,  it has quadrupled in equity and value and we own it free and clear.  No mortgage.  We have moved up several times in order to be at this stage in our lives.  Our sons are happy here as well.  It's a great,  very safe,  established neighborhood.  We are very fortunate.  We bought our houses before prices soared,  became astronomically and prohibitively expensive and out of reach for millions of people.  We were lucky. 

Absolutely most people are priced right out of the market in Canada now most people can’t even afford to buy a house. 

• Like 1
On 8/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, Seraphim said:

Absolutely most people are priced right out of the market in Canada now most people can’t even afford to buy a house. 

This is very true. If it's doable, it's a rare opportunity. Just make sure the house is safe before moving in...if they've lived there a long time, there might be health hazards they don't even realized or they don't want to bother getting it to new code so easier to sell to family quietly and leave it to you. That's OK so long as you find out and can afford to fix it .

• Like 1

Always have plumbing, foundation, roof and electrical thoroughly inspected. Those things can be super expensive especially if it's got obsolete plumbing pipes or ceiling and wall materials. Asbestos, lead paint, etc. 

But I do love me some vintage charm**. So many houses these days are just carbon copies of every other house in the area. Boring! **As long as the basics have been modernized!

And living in a quiet area sounds divine, although I do love how walkable my neighborhood is. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Always have plumbing, foundation, roof and electrical thoroughly inspected. Those things can be super expensive especially if it's got obsolete plumbing pipes or ceiling and wall materials. Asbestos, lead paint, etc. 

But I do love me some vintage charm**. So many houses these days are just carbon copies of every other house in the area. Boring! **As long as the basics have been modernized!

And living in a quiet area sounds divine, although I do love how walkable my neighborhood is. 

I agree! Ugh I hate the cookie cutters houses with a passion. And a lot of them are built so crap on top of being ugly .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, itsallgrand said:

This is very true. If it's doable, it's a rare opportunity. Just make sure the house is safe before moving in...if they've lived there a long time, there might be health hazards they don't even realized or they don't want to bother getting it to new code so easier to sell to family quietly and leave it to you. That's OK so long as you find out and can afford to fix it .

They have never lived there just an investment property for them. They threw out the last people who lived there in June over a dispute . 

1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

Yes, we would have an inspector for sure . This is a very quiet older neighbourhood. 

To me,  a quiet neighborhood is a must.  I want to be able to swing my windows open without hearing cars,  railroad,  highway,  freeway nor be underneath a flight path.  I use my A/C when needed but I want silence regarding outdoor noises.  I want to live on a quiet street instead of a major thoroughfare or where cars go in and out of the neighborhood subdivision to get anywhere.  I didn't want to be near a busy street either.  Fortunately,  I have a lot of places to walk,  walking trails,  golf courses,  parks and I have the best of both worlds where my house is situated. It is a great location and high quality of life.  It is very peaceful and settled. 

We had our house inspected long ago.  For us,  it was part of the buying process.  Fortunately,  we have don't have mortgage payments nor debts. 

If it were me, I'd try to divide the house in the rehab process so that it has a mother-in-law suite. That could solve the animal allergy problem for your mother, and be a future, possible living space for the guardian of your son, so there's a bit of privacy for the both of them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Andrina said:

If it were me, I'd try to divide the house in the rehab process so that it has a mother-in-law suite. That could solve the animal allergy problem for your mother, and be a future, possible living space for the guardian of your son, so there's a bit of privacy for the both of them.

That has been discussed for sure . 

17 hours ago, Cherylyn said:

To me,  a quiet neighborhood is a must.  I want to be able to swing my windows open without hearing cars,  railroad,  highway,  freeway nor be underneath a flight path.  I use my A/C when needed but I want silence regarding outdoor noises.  I want to live on a quiet street instead of a major thoroughfare or where cars go in and out of the neighborhood subdivision to get anywhere.  I didn't want to be near a busy street either.  Fortunately,  I have a lot of places to walk,  walking trails,  golf courses,  parks and I have the best of both worlds where my house is situated. It is a great location and high quality of life.  It is very peaceful and settled. 

We had our house inspected long ago.  For us,  it was part of the buying process.  Fortunately,  we have don't have mortgage payments nor debts. 

It is a very quiet street with mostly retirees. Where my husband’s cousins and Aunt live is on the hwy next to their business. It isn’t a major city hwy but the major road in an out of the area. It is one of the only major roads going South. 

• Like 1