Drinking while working remotely

1 hour ago, itsallgrand said:

As long as you did your job, you could do what you want really. I just always preferred coffee , excessive coffee in that job. 

Ahhh, coffeeeee. Mmmmm. 

I've had to learn the hard way that things that I don't believe effect me eventually really, really effect me.

With pot, I smoked very young but I never got high. So I skipped it, not seeing the point. Then around age 18 someone bought me some special Hawaiian as a birthday present. I felt that! It was nice. But unfortunately, any time I tried any kind of pot after that I had paranoia and heart palpitations. So, done.

Then came coffee later in life. I had never liked it until one cold day in my 20's someone bought me a nice blend for a long car ride, and I blissed out. I started drinking it on the regular, never believing it effected me. I could have a cup late in the day and still sleep like a baby.

Then came some stressful jobs, hard deadlines, school at night, and I always had my 'emotional support coffee'. Unfortunately, again came heart palpitations.

Luckily, there is decaf. I honestly can't taste the difference. I love it, I adore it, I drink it hot in the morning, and if there's any left over, I'll throw some ice in it later in the day. 

We all live and learn whether we are vice-prone. I AM.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Ahhh, coffeeeee. Mmmmm. 

I've had to learn the hard way that things that I don't believe effect me eventually really, really effect me.

With pot, I smoked very young but I never got high. So I skipped it, not seeing the point. Then around age 18 someone bought me some special Hawaiian as a birthday present. I felt that! It was nice. But unfortunately, any time I tried any kind of pot after that I had paranoia and heart palpitations. So, done.

Then came coffee later in life. I had never liked it until one cold day in my 20's someone bought me a nice blend for a long car ride, and I blissed out. I started drinking it on the regular, never believing it effected me. I could have a cup late in the day and still sleep like a baby.

Then came some stressful jobs, hard deadlines, school at night, and I always had my 'emotional support coffee'. Unfortunately, again came heart palpitations.

Luckily, there is decaf. I honestly can't taste the difference. I love it, I adore it, I drink it hot in the morning, and if there's any left over, I'll throw some ice in it later in the day. 

We all live and learn whether we are vice-prone. I AM.

It's definitely not uncommon for people to indulge in cannabis and get very paranoid as well as have bad anxiety symptoms.  There are many tales of people taking edibles and literally calling an ambulance.

I think maybe because I've enjoyed the upper echelon of psychedelics that I can easily quell that sort of paranoia, but even as someone who enjoys it I still get that stuff sometimes.

I should also point out I have an anxiety disorder to start with so I'm just playing with fire, but hey, playing with that fire is usually enjoyable.

13 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Your preference for being dressed well and put together every day reminds me of a contestant on the show Project Runway years ago. Her name was Laura and she always wore dresses with plunging necklines and heels even in the workroom, where many of the contestants wore loose clothing or workout wear while sewing. And she was pregnant at the time but was still amazingly fit. She was asked about this and she replied (and I'm paraphrasing) "When you're 45 and you have four small children it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan, so I just don't go there". That stuck with me because it did make sense.

When I was married (and also while actively dating after my divorce) I always kept myself groomed (you know what I mean 😉 ). I also always shaved my legs and kept myself fit. Some of my friends didn't shave their legs all winter and I didn't understand that at all. I didn't want my husband to see me with hairy legs lol.

I live alone and am not having visitors during the work week so I choose to dress in casual athletic wear such as leggings and T-shirts.

However, I do still abstain from alcohol during work hours because that's a separate thing to me. No one would know but I would. And I don't use pot although plenty of my friends and family members do. I'm not opposed, it just doesn't hit me in a good way (yes, I've tried it, not recently though).

Hahaha Bolt  yes I DO know whatcha mean! 😉🤣

People have so many ways of getting through the day! Or feeling awake or ready! It’s true! 

I laughed because I can relate! When I was pregnant with our third, my husband who is not bothered by fancy things and simple and practical said Lo, let’s get a people carrier! I was 31 I said hun, are you TRYING to make me 45?! 🤪

x

5 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

The concept of always being dressed very well, with make up and heels,  it always reminds me of my grandmother. She was always turned out, even to have a coffee at a Cafe. There's certainly a charm to it, though it just isn't my style. I remember talking to her about it and also my aunts, who are the same. It's funny to see it mentioned here in relation to being a mom because they said something similar. A way to assert a certain control over self while in the depths of raising a bunch of kids, and then became a cherished ritual. 

I haven't worked remotely so I can't speak to that. I was working for myself during lock down, so I already had established I don't like drinking during work. I like clear cut off points. A drink is nice sometimes with dinner or to chill/celebrate completion of something for me. 

I drank more at work prior , in person at a previous workplace. The boss would sometimes pull one or a few of us for a drink in the office. I had coworkers who obviously dipped out on breaks for a puff. It was sort of rough n tumble so no one cared. As long as you did your job, you could do what you want really. I just always preferred coffee , excessive coffee in that job. 

Yes itsall! That is exactly how I feel!

It’s part control, part coping! Part meditation, part ritual, part feeling better!

x

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mylolita said:

Yes itsall! That is exactly how I feel!

It’s part control, part coping! Part meditation, part ritual, part feeling better!

x

So - my friend on her FB posts lovely artwork and she posted something and I immediately thought of what you shared -check it out - it's such a lovely painting and you will see what I mean:

"The lady with the yellow umbrella" artist is Alfred Kohn.

44 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

So - my friend on her FB posts lovely artwork and she posted something and I immediately thought of what you shared -check it out - it's such a lovely painting and you will see what I mean:

"The lady with the yellow umbrella" artist is Alfred Kohn.

Batya!

I have, I think, seen this artist before or maybe I am getting mixed up with something similar!

I can see why someone would love this, but it is not to my taste if I am totally honest! But, thank you so much for sending the suggestion, honestly, anything to do with art I am all eyes and all ears! I love seeing the variation!

It reminds me maybe a tiny smidge of an oil painting we got about 3 months ago. This napping gent is about a meter long and a meter wide, bigger than it looks on this picture. He is at the mo in the corner of our living room and I always find him so relaxing and sleepy to look at!

But, one of my friends finds our many portraits creepy! I get that too! Hahahaha! 

Again; thank you for sending it on 😘

x

B07BABBA-8E63-4020-AD05-23C5D6E1540C.jpeg

• Like 1

Just to add, we gather up art all the time, it‘s like an obsession! The hubby will be going to an antique fair and auction house next week and supposed to be getting useful pieces of furniture but will probably spend all our money on some art instead!

Only two rules! Has to be original, and I have to really really love it! Don’t care if it is by a known or unknown artist! 

x

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mylolita said:

Or maybe m’girl here is along a similar vein - chunky oil, slightly abstract.

x

4B52F008-8E09-4AE5-A537-35B906645944.jpeg

My two favorite art works in our home are two paintings. One by my friend as a wedding gift - flowers- and one by our cousin as an anniversary gift - farmland. Both mean so very much to me. I love art museums and we live in a two bedroom 1200 square foot apartment and we otherwise have mostly family photos displayed. 

I live in a 450 square foot studio so my wall space is limited, to say the least! My brother keeps encouraging me to buy things for my apartment (and he often buys me things for my apartment as gifts), but where am I going to put them? He's been here so he knows I barely fit, let alone buying things to cram into this tiny space. I do like art, though. My son is an artist.

Boy, did this thread take a hard turn somewhere 😆

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LikeWater said:

It's definitely not uncommon for people to indulge in cannabis and get very paranoid as well as have bad anxiety symptoms.  There are many tales of people taking edibles and literally calling an ambulance.

I think maybe because I've enjoyed the upper echelon of psychedelics that I can easily quell that sort of paranoia, but even as someone who enjoys it I still get that stuff sometimes.

I should also point out I have an anxiety disorder to start with so I'm just playing with fire, but hey, playing with that fire is usually enjoyable.

Raising my hand!  Cannabis not my friend.  In any form.  Out with friends who enjoy a little buzz from gummies.  It seems fun and they turn into a happy & giggly bunch.  I've tried it enough times and never get the same reaction.  I end up anxious and agitated.  So, it's official, it's not for me.  Add in, I have issues with anxiety as well.

• Like 2

The mentions of getting dressed.  I got up in the dark and dressed for work 5 days a week.  I was barely awake.  God forsaken panty hose, trips to the dry cleaners.  Makeup blow, blowdryers. . ugh

I have friends who love getting dressed up.  Their jobs happened to have a casual dress code.  I suppose I would enjoy dressing up too.  Now I can't stand it!  Give me jeans and flip flops any day.  I can and do get dressed up, but my career definitely took the fun out of it for me.

Makeup?   For whatever reason I am allergic to anything on or around my eyes. I wear makeup, but the second I walk in I take it off.  If not, I am all red eyed and rashy.

4 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

. . .after posting these I just noticed the whole thread moved on to fine art. . lol

I know! Funny the turns this thread has taken.

I used to work for a company that allowed jeans. I did wear them occasionally but I usually wore slacks and a blouse or sweater with low heel pumps or boots, or dresses/skirts with strappy low heel sandals. I did like dressing up a bit. But I also had my own washer and dryer which made laundry so much easier. And I sat up front, in the entry of the office, so I wanted to make a good impression on clients and visitors.

It just doesn't make sense for me to put in the effort now, when absolutely zero people will see me. No drop in visitors, I live alone, no video calls...who would see me in a dress? And I don't allow shoes inside my home so I would be in a dress and house slippers lol. I do wear fun T-shirts for my own amusement though. No profanity but some funny slogans or cat or sports team shirts.

I enjoyed a hard seltzer before bed last night. I like the sugar free seltzers. That way I can get a bit of alcohol without any calories.

And...today I'm in my pajamas and robe. I have been suffering from insomnia, so I waited until 25 minutes before sign in time to get up. I'll shower and dress at break time. Absolutely hate insomnia.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, reinventmyself said:

Raising my hand!  Cannabis not my friend.  In any form.  Out with friends who enjoy a little buzz from gummies.  It seems fun and they turn into a happy & giggly bunch.  I've tried it enough times and never get the same reaction.  I end up anxious and agitated.  So, it's official, it's not for me.  Add in, I have issues with anxiety as well.

Same. 

d9062d6b6c61d6b01a89269207f7221d.png.637298e2d3e61c25d0ae7f8288477b7b.png

• Haha 2
58 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

And...today I'm in my pajamas and robe. I have been suffering from insomnia, so I waited until 25 minutes before sign in time to get up. I'll shower and dress at break time. Absolutely hate insomnia.

Me too!!! - I hate it too I mean.   I hope tonight is much better.

3 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Thanks.

This has been an ongoing struggle. But I did just now shower and dress, so I feel better about that. I feel sloppy when I'm not showered and dressed.

Yes, same! I'm sorry -I used to struggle a lot more with it -not in the last couple of years thankfully.  I hope tonight you get a good night's sleep.

11 hours ago, reinventmyself said:

There's nothing funny about going through that experience, so please don't take this the wrong way. And I'm speaking to everyone, but I do find it funny that possibly the most harmless drug we know of creates the "I'm gonna die!" response in SO many people.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

At my job, my co-workers drink in the office haha 

I mean in the 1960s/70s/80s drinking at work was pretty standard. 

Anyway, personal anecdotes - my brother works from home and he smokes pot all day long, he also sometimes leaves to take his dog to the dog park, run errands, etc. He gets his work done always, even trains other employees, and is highly valued by his company. 

I smoke pot before work and after work. When I used to go home on lunch breaks to take my dog out, I would hit the bowl before returning to the office, but I bring her to work now or have a dog walker take her out when I don't haha. It often helps me concentrate to be honest. I'm personally not a drinker though.